Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,148,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Place a progressive income tax on the same number of multimillionairs.
Taxing 80% of everything over $1 Million would in theory net $535 Million.

The last time I checked, $535 Million is neither greater than nor equal to $21 Billion.

When you let your knee jerk like that, it makes you look stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
When will conservatives openly admit they are against any environmental protection and don't give a damn about the environment?
I'm an ultra-conservative and I am all for common sense environmental protections, but I'm not seeing any. What I'm seeing is half-baked idiocy based on flawed studies with failed methodologies and junk science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I have to laugh every time someone claims that taxes are theft. Go blame Jefferson and Madison who gave Congress the power to lay and collect taxes.
Fraud is theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,939,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Taxing 80% of everything over $1 Million would in theory net $535 Million.
Where, exactly, did you pluck the 80% number from? Thin air?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
I have to laugh every time someone claims that taxes are theft. Go blame Jefferson and Madison who gave Congress the power to lay and collect taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Fraud is theft.
Ah, so taxes are now fraud, according to the ultra conservatives. The more they express their ideas the crazier they sound.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM

45,199 posts, read 26,409,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I laugh everytime some poor government educated thing chirps up how taxes are for the good of society.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I laugh everytime some poor government educated thing chirps up how taxes are for the good of society.
At least this "poor government educated thing" knows that "everytime" isn't a word, it's two words, "every time."

Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM

20,318 posts, read 19,902,216 times
Quote:
noexcuseforignorance;21054018]Great way to make a useless post by quoting the Daily Caller. Perhaps tomorrow you can quote the 3 year old who lives down the road and convince us all that the moon is made of cheese.
I'll try to dig up one of Megan McCain's or Ron Reagan's thoughts on today's GOP.

Or some Dail Kos or Media Matters facts.

Quote:
Seriously, you're an adult. Please make better posts.
Seriously, I'll try harder. Just for you. Just promise to give me an "attaboy" if and when I deliver. Pleeeease?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,214,747 times
Democrats know regulations kill jobs & are proud of it.

CNBC Interview of Democrat Senator Barney Frank
Quote:
Barney Frank - "I think that the financial sector included an element of activity that was not terribly productive. And while we didn't exclusively ban it, if the effect of regulating it better, saying you can't sell..."

Andrew Ross Sorkin -"But less jobs at a time when people want more jobs, correct?"

Barney Frank - "Yes. And that is when you stop an activity. Look, if you knock off drug dealers you'll have fewer jobs. These are not drug dealers. I don't think make work makes sense for the federal government. I don't think it makes sense in the private sector"... "If the effect of better regulation, of requiring people to post capital is that there are then going to be fewer people doing some of the activities that I don't think were especially useful that is a reasonable price"

Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,563,727 times
It's been proven time & time again that the projected revenue from any tax increase never materializes.

Increasing the capital gains tax rate will only results in folks holding onto their assets longer, but Democrats have never understood this simple truth.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Democrats know regulations kill jobs & are proud of it.
That concept is idiotic. Regulations actually increase jobs.

Having lax regulations on oil rigs nearly destroyed the Gulf fishing and shrimp industry. In China, where they have few environmental regulations, they needed to ban cars in the city for the Olympics because the air would have been unbreathable.

How many jobs were killed by having meat inspected?
How many jobs were killed because farmers aren't allowed to use dangerous pesticides?
How many jobs were killed because we have regulations that require food to have expiration dates?
How many jobs were killed because we have stiff air pollution laws?

People now are employed making catalytic converters, that were never made prior to these laws.

Having food safety laws gives consumers confidence that the food supply is safe and increases consumption of these products.

When we look at the world, the countries that have no regulations and weak governments (e.g. Somalia) are the ones performing with the worst environment for business. Those that have strictly regulated corporate behavior are the ones doing the best. Get this, Denmark and Sweden are ranked number 1 and 2 in innovation.

It is no wonder that the “job-killing” meme is promoted by corporate America and the oil industry in particular, who are anti-regulation, because they don't want to spend money protecting the public or their workers. It IS a wonder why people who are being protected by regulations are duped into believing their lies.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM

23,832 posts, read 24,081,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Great way to kick start a soft economy

"The Environmental Protection Agency has said new greenhouse gas regulations, as proposed, may be “absurd” in application and “impossible to administer” by its self-imposed 2016 deadline. But the agency is still asking for taxpayers to shoulder the burden of up to 230,000 new bureaucrats — at a cost of $21 billion — to attempt to implement the rules....."
We need to REDUCE the size and scope of the federal government, not grow it.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,802,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You mean economy was doing worse with higher taxes than it has been with lower taxes? This person disagrees:

"In fact, follow this logic. Its counter intuitive, but its absolutely true. The higher the tax rate on income the more risks us money chasers have to take in order to hit our number. If you want that number, you are going to go for it. Period, end of story. More risk, more companies started, more people hired."
- Mark Cuban
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies