Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Answer: NO

Doing so would imply that an emotional appeal is an "educational" appeal and so is the proper basis for a decision. Wrong!
Having read this thread am a little suprised that their are sides developing. Wouldn't everybody agree that the answer to ignorance is education so really when do you start educating?

How about when the child can understand the point being made? Emotion is something that is required within a person before they develop an interest. What are we frightened of, that our young may see themselves at an earlier stage of development?

Why be narrow minded, it didn't help the Puritans?

Without knowledge people can be stuck in their maturity and the knowledge must be inserted into the learning process at the right time, pass it up and soon the individual does not know what is lacking in their knowledge base. sometimes these gaps in our knowledge are never located, understood and rectified, consequently maturity stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Unfortunately I have yet to see anyone respond if they think these videos of the developement of a baby would help educate what is being carried during pregancy and would it help to reduce the risk of pregancy and abortions?
Yes, I think it could possibly reduce abortions. I frankly don't think it would reduce the unplanned preganancy rate much. (I think there's some denial and lot of issues relating to teen-age pregnancies.) I would like to see young girls educated on the development of a baby in the womb, however. Even those who favor "choice," should have not qualms about someone making an educated choice, no?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
I wouldn't advocate discussing abortion with these videos, only the beauty and wonder of a developing baby and with that education it may aide in making an educated decission in the future (if the issue came up).

Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,619,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Having read this thread am a little suprised that their are sides developing. Wouldn't everybody agree that the answer to ignorance is education so really when do you start educating?

Yes, that is what this thread started out as but, unfortunately some of the OP's comments such as "Also I believe the pro-abortion crowd is very much against women and teens being educated....and I guess the pro-abortion crowd does not want education, turned it into sides. The question at hand is a good one, though there are differences of opinion as to when...

Old 08-20-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't advocate discussing abortion with these videos, only the beauty and wonder of a developing baby and with that education it may aide in making an educated decission in the future (if the issue came up).
In terms of where my children are emotionally now, I believe middle-school, 6th grade would be a good time to begin the discussion and videos of a developing baby.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
In terms of where my children are emotionally now, I believe middle-school, 6th grade would be a good time to begin the discussion and videos of a developing baby.

Thanks for the direct answer!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:

I thought you were talking showing a video to 5th graders?

Also, I like the effect in the videos of zooming in on the fetus to make it look as large as a baby elephant and thus visually implying that it's a "baby," when in fact it's not even as long as your little finger.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-20-2007 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the direct answer!
Your welcome! If you had asked this question directly from the beginning without the additional derogatory comments, you would have had my answer, and others, I'm sure, right from the start.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Your welcome! If you had asked this question directly from the beginning without the additional derogatory comments, you would have had my answer, and others, I'm sure, right from the start.
Read the post right above yours and see why I felt I had to make that point. If it appears derogatory it is because the view of unborn babies is derogatory to those that are pro-abortion.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Read the post right above yours and see why I felt I had to make that point. If it appears derogatory it is because the view of unborn babies is derogatory to those that are pro-abortion.

Who taught you to use such ridiculously inflammatory rhetoric? "Unborn babies" is BEGGING THE QUESTION, lady! hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies