Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:51 PM

358 posts, read 916,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
giving up a baby is never a poor moral decision - it is a completey selfless act on the part of a woman
I agree wholeheartedly. The completely selfless woman has given the child two incredible gifts: 1) life 2) the chance at a better life than what she herself has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Read the post right above yours and see why I felt I had to make that point. If it appears derogatory it is because the view of unborn babies is derogatory to those that are pro-abortion.
I don't think you can assume what every person is thinking on this subject...I questioned your use of words when you made a statement about pro-abortion, I made a comment about pro-abortion vs. pro-choice and you were all over me about my so-called, guilt-ridden comments. Guilty about what? The only thing I am guilty of is tripping over this thread, reading it, and trying to give some positive feedback on the subject. You can't attack people and not expect them to be defensive. You can state your beliefs without attacking, I'm sure it is difficult, but it can be done. If you want a one-sided discussion that is one thing, but if you would like an intellent debate, thats another.....

Old 08-20-2007, 08:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Intelligent? You're addressing an adherent of dogma, a product of knowledge revealed from God, that is, a teaching that requires obedience without thinking!

Last edited by ParkTwain; 08-20-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 03:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Who taught you to use such ridiculously inflammatory rhetoric? "Unborn babies" is BEGGING THE QUESTION, lady! hahaha
fetus= in humans; the unborn young from the end of the eigth week to the moment of birth as distinguished from the ealier embryo.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Answer to your question: No.

Why? IMHO, I think that this would glorify having babies instead of educating them that having children is a difficult, very hard decision that should not be taken lightly. The In The Womb series is a very mis-leading show to children in that it does not show in the end that it takes money and love amongst other things to take care of the baby after it is born.

And what are we supposed to tell them after we glorify having babies? To just give them up for adoption?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
I don't think it will reduce abortions at all. Yeah, pop in the tape and show it to the kids all you want. Sure they'll "say" they won't ever get an abortion after viewing the tape. But if they are in a bad situation where they end up pregnant, I highly doubt that a video tape from 5th grade will have much influence on the decision.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I don't think it will reduce abortions at all. Yeah, pop in the tape and show it to the kids all you want. Sure they'll "say" they won't ever get an abortion after viewing the tape. But if they are in a bad situation where they end up pregnant, I highly doubt that a video tape from 5th grade will have much influence on the decision.
Kind of reminds of a situation in 6th grade where they showed a video of a man who got throat cancer from smoking and still managed to smoke cigarettes right out of the hole in his throat. Although it was scary to watch and seemed absolutely bizarre what he was doing....did most of us try cigarettes after viewing it? Unfortunately, we did.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Kind of reminds of a situation in 6th grade where they showed a video of a man who got throat cancer from smoking and still managed to smoke cigarettes right out of the hole in his throat. Although it was scary to watch and seemed absolutely bizarre what he was doing....did most of us try cigarettes after viewing it? Unfortunately, we did.

That was exactly what I was thinking..... they brough in lungs and hearts etc. to show my jr. high class what smoking would do. I doubt that detoured anyone from smoking later on especially in high school.

I was shown 'In the womb' type videos in high school health class and that has never changed my decision on being pro-choice. My best friend had an abortion 3 years ago, she used birth control regularly and still got pregnant. She has never regretted it and said that having a child would have ruined her life. Now, she's a college graduate still with the same man she was with when she had the abortion and now has a great job and happy life. Children aren't for everyone. Eventually she wants to have children but she's thankful that she could choose.

Plus, even if abortion is outlawed, people will still have it done.

And to answer the OPs question, sure why not. Showing a video won't change many peoples minds anyway. I've seen silent scream and it didn't do anything to deter my opinons.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Abortion is a legitimate enterprise, and in most localities, people have a right to have an abortion under some circumtances. Eating sausage is also legal.

Wouled you make it mandatory for meat market shoppers to watch a video showing how hogs are killed and folliwing right through the process of the manufacture of pork sausage? Or would you consider that to be an unfair intrusion into the relationship between a provider and its market?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Now we're on suicide....start a thread or do you have no response to the original question....
Should all children from 5th grade on be shown the IN THE WOMB series by National Geographic so they will be able to make educated decisions about abortion?
No, 5th graders should not be shown the movie. They have neither the scientific education at that point, or the emotional maturity to evaluate the material in an objective manner. But then, you were counting on that, weren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies