Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 AM

913 posts, read 872,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Do you realize that the overwhelming majority of people prepare food that has been butchered, processed and handled in a lot of places before it even gets to supermarket for them to buy? The FDA has made that food chain safe and more importantly when something bad does pass from a farm or processing plant to our tables, it can be traced back to the source before it kills or sickens hundreds.

Libertarians like Rant Paul want to destroy many of the very things that have helped make this country so great.

so you think that it's ok for a federal bureaucracy to fine someone $90000 without warning, for selling rabbits? you think it's ok to send people to jail if they can't pay? you think someone who tidied up an illegal dump and removed 7000 tires from the site, should spend his life savings fighting a federal bureaucracy and end up in jail. you think it's ok to send swat teams in to raid organic farms and food stores?

you sound like a wonderful woman then. pity that now when you spout the rest of the left wing agenda about giving your fellow man a helping hand, i won't beileve you.

Last edited by sammbriggs; 09-29-2011 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,401 times
Tell me one government agency that is under budget consistantly, is cost effective and does what it is supposed to do. Fact is, it doesn't exist. The states need to be in charge of virtually everything and the Feds need to basically be here to protect our shores. There is no efficient federal program.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
of all the people on this forum i find it hardest to believe that you. katiana, would be a shill for the big corporations! in any sector from finance to agriculture, retail to pharmaceuticals, those who encourage govt bureaucracy are doing work for the big corporations whether they know it or not.
Big corporations? Where did I "shill" (I just love these words you guys like to use to make yourselves look 'smart') for corporations? I'm not the one who feels that property rights trump everything else, and that if someone dies from my product, well, just sue me!

Quote:
there isn't any amount of bureaucracy that could save those lives. i'm sure you'll disagree though. in your utopian vision where the govt looks after us, nobody will die from food poisoning. it is quite odd then that people refer to libertarians as idealists with a rather edgy grasp on reality, when it is we who accept that in any system there is a margin for error. perhaps though you think every single melon, every single sausage, every single grape should be tested before being put on shelves. that will hardly raise the price.
Glad you're such a mind reader. Where'd you get your crystal ball? I want one just like it!

Quote:
an argument could also be made that in our obsession to kill bacteria we've created a society without the necessary immunity to deal with the odd bacterial infection. 14 died another 100 or so were probably made ill, from a farm which probably produced tens of thousands of melons according to strict govt guidelines.
And that argument would be false. People twisted that "dirt" theory around to make it meaningless.

Quote:
it is a big world out there and occassionally ***t happens!
So easy for you to say when it isn't YOUR family member who died. But then again, proper recourse is just to sue, right?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Big corporations? Where did I "shill" (I just love these words you guys like to use to make yourselves look 'smart') for corporations? I'm not the one who feels that property rights trump everything else, and that if someone dies from my product, well, just sue me!

that isn't my position at all. if i kill someone by knowingly poisoning them, like the melamine case in china, that is murder and i must be tried and sued. even if i kill someone due to negligence there should be both a criminal prosecution and a civil suit.

it's the onerous regulations which i have a problem with. the type of regulations which small business have extreme difficulty complying with and the big guy breeze through.

alternatively there should be a choice. if i trust my farmer, grocer, farmers market stalls and they don't comply that should be my risk to take

Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Hey man, your vagina is your property, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKh9Ko3mw4

Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:

And that argument would be false. People twisted that "dirt" theory around to make it meaningless.

whatever you say. i guess that means that because you want everything from a factory farm, which has been irradiated that everyone else must. true fascist indeed.

look, i'm not even going to waste my time arguing with you. you are pathalogically incapable of considering another's position. i say that regulations in general hamper small business to a point where very few of them can comply and many close down. i say that the draconian enforement of these regulations hamper entrepreneurs from starting and employing people. you blanketly dismiss this and then offer some smarmy comment without addressing the issue or any questions.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

Old 09-29-2011, 08:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sure, why worry about stuff like food and product safety, clean air and water, segregation, monopolies or insider trading. And while we're at it, to hell with education, enforcing laws, or taking care of the poor, the elderly, or even our vets! 'Cuz it's all about ME now, so every man and woman for themselves, and it's Devil take the hindmost!

Sorry, but frankly I think so-called Libertarians are nothing but Narcissists with a better sales pitch.
A lot of what you're talking about should be settled in the courts. That's the beauty of English common law system and strong contract laws. Throwing bureaucracy at a problem doesn't work.

Did a company pollute the well you get water from? Sue them and collect damages, don't hire 500,000 federal bureaucrats to push paper around.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
whatever you say. i guess that means that because you want everything from a factory farm, which has been irradiated that everyone else must. true fascist indeed.

look, i'm not even going to waste my time arguing with you. you are pathalogically incapable of considering another's position. i say that regulations in general hamper small business to a point where very few of them can comply and many close down. i say that the draconian enforement of these regulations hamper entrepreneurs from starting and employing people. you blanketly dismiss this and then offer some smarmy comment without addressing the issue or any questions.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree
Please show a post where I have supported factory farming! Good grief, I say on my status that I put up my own food!

You are totally twisting my positions, and personally attacking me as well.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
A lot of what you're talking about should be settled in the courts. That's the beauty of English common law system and strong contract laws. Throwing bureaucracy at a problem doesn't work.

Did a company pollute the well you get water from? Sue them and collect damages, don't hire 500,000 federal bureaucrats to push paper around.
Maybe there should be some regulations to keep the company from polluting in the first place. Some damage is irreversible.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These guys assume that everybody would refrain from violence, never do anything to bring harm to another and are always honest. Well some people will steal from others, sell poisoned food, and lie like rugs. I do not want to live in such a society.

You obviously don't know anything about Libertarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies