Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 PM

786 posts, read 4,719,657 times

Advertisements

The people who were fighting against the minimum wage told anyone who would listen there would be huge layoffs of minimum waged workers after the rate went up and economic crisis would result. Did this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:59 PM

320 posts, read 294,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The people who were fighting against the minimum wage told anyone who would listen there would be huge layoffs of minimum waged workers after the rate went up and economic crisis would result. Did this happen?
Not that I'm aware of. Most employers already pay above $5.15 per hour and have for years. My employer (retail) pays me $11.75 per hour, and I don't even live in a place with high cost of living (north central Texas, about an hour from Dallas). Most places where I live start people out at $6.00 if you're a teenager, $7.00 if you're an adult with little to no experience, and median of $8.50-$10.00 if you have two+ years exp.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,480,393 times
Default what sectors.

Quote:
What sectors are seeing the most layoff?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,398 times
I worked for a bad mafg. co. in richmond, va. Just laid off 30 people since the increase of the minimum wage and more to come. The company is now hiring temps since it cost them less to do the same job. Cost of fuel to transport the finished product is also a factor in their decision. Our oil companies just can not get/make enough money to satisfy their needs. kind of like our congressmen and senators. So in the next presidential election I am voting for Mickey Mouse. I just can not tell the difference from the democrates or republicans anymore!!!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,294,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61falcon View Post
I worked for a bad mafg. co. in richmond, va. Just laid off 30 people since the increase of the minimum wage and more to come. The company is now hiring temps since it cost them less to do the same job. Cost of fuel to transport the finished product is also a factor in their decision. Our oil companies just can not get/make enough money to satisfy their needs. kind of like our congressmen and senators. So in the next presidential election I am voting for Mickey Mouse. I just can not tell the difference from the democrates or republicans anymore!!!!!
well, I blame the profit mongering on shareholders.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,057,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61falcon View Post
I worked for a bad mafg. co. in richmond, va. Just laid off 30 people since the increase of the minimum wage and more to come. The company is now hiring temps since it cost them less to do the same job.
So then the minimum wage increase had nothing to do with the layoffs.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,877,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
So then the minimum wage increase had nothing to do with the layoffs.
I'm not sure I follow that. How did you draw the conclusion that it was not due to the minimum wage increase?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,279,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I'm not sure I follow that. How did you draw the conclusion that it was not due to the minimum wage increase?

Did they lay off the people because they "couldn't afford" them.... or because they simply wanted cheaper labor to increase the bottom line?

Making "less profit" is hardly a "necessary" reason to lay someone off.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,057,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Because by hiring temps, they are paying people at an hourly wage instead of at salary. Since the minimum wage affects those who work at an hourly rate, the fact that they are hiring temps while laying off fulltime workers leads one to the obvious conclusion that this was going to happen anyway.

If anything, the minimum wage change meant the company saved slightly less because they are paying the temps slightly more.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
Quote:
Well, my reason against minimum wage hike wasn't about layoff scare tactics. But rather a reality that IS occuring: In places such as McD's at WALMART where they do pay minimum.

Let's say you have a worker whose been there for a while and is now making $5.70 and you have a fresh worker who makes $5.15.. now, minimum wage is $5.85. Guess what. In most cases, you now have a worker whose earned pay raises and fresh blood both earning $5.85

Basically, in a lot of cases, if somebody was making X amount over minumum wage.. they're now making minimum wage. And imagine that being you.. knowing that all of your hardwork has only ended in you making (more than you did... but) minimum wage all over again. Would you be the happy worker you were before? Or would you be a little ticked that somebody who just joined up with no experience is now making the same as you (and you've been there 2-3 years).

This happened the last time (way long ago) when minimum wage increased; my mother used to be a store manager for a fast food place, so she was the one who had to do this (against what she felt was right..).

BTW, since Pepsi production price has gone up (union contract made it so that however much minimum wage increases, workers would get the same increase even though they don't make minimum).. Pepsi has already started to increase the price in some areas another $.10

I've already noticed around here that the "Value Menu" items have changed. Now, at McD's, the SMALL drink (not medium) is $1. The $1 sweet tea is no longer offered at most places, medium fry for a dollar. No. Try kids sized fry.

Essentially, the thoughts I had in mind are actually true. You have workers who've worked hard for raises making the same as noobs. And there are already price hikes in place.

Mass layoff no. More money that's worth less, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies