Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That explains the 8-15. Network security and client-side (ajax/jquery/html5) devs are worth their weight in gold right now.
That's incredibly true. If I found one that really knew their stuff, they would get pretty much the world, if asked. For those that want immediate and well-paying employment, this is an area that I would consider if I were in such a position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How many of you folks have ever worked in a factory? Factory work is hard work and the hardest work pays the least. Just watch the show "Dirty Jobs" in a steel mill for a good example of factory work. The guys standing on the concrete make a lot less than the guys sitting in the corner office. Some of them make less than the telephone operator.

Once upon a time I was a very skilled machinest, machine builder and repair man. I worked in factories building high tech machinery and was paid quite well. It was good work but after a while I was not very satisfied. I also has a couple of factories move or close before I had a vested pension. That was out of my control and very annoying. I felt I was being robbed.

I used the GI Bill and family help and went to college to study. I have been well employed as a scientist ever since. I could go back to my previous career but I will just retire from this one and not darken an factory door again.
Your post interested me since I worked at an iron and steel plant back in the mid 1970s. It was very, very dirty work (I had to use Lava soap to wash my body when I got home in the evening). Indeed, I was one of the very few Americans in the plant (on the floor): many were 'illegals', since the plant owners simply could not get Americans (of any color) to do the work. After about a year of it I decided that going to college was a good idea.

Tidbit: a friend of mine back in those olden days was mentally slow. However, he was not adverse to hard work and applied for a job at the plant, since I was there. He could not perform my exalted work (I changed the patterns for the presses) but he did get the job of shoveling sand.

You see, a lot of sand is used in making things like manholes, piping, etc. Afterwards, the sand is reused. The used sand was put on a conveyor belt that went from one end of the factory to about half way, where said sand fell to the floor, continually building a big heap of sand.

My friends job was to shovel the sand into a wheel barrel, and wheel the sand about 15 feet away to a small 'pit', where he dumped the sand, and it was then whisked away by another conveyor belt.

I never understood, even decades later as I write, why they did not make the first conveyor belt long enough to reach the pit, instead of being 15 feet shy. Yet, it did give my friend employment for a couple of years (he would literally be black at the end of the day; when he took off his goggles he looks like a strange raccoon).

The plant finally shut down (after some 60 years of operation) after being busted several times due to having illegals working there, and its inability to get legit workers. I recall the owner always making sure that they were able to send the deported workers their last paycheck to their home address in Mexico, which I thought nice.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
I am sorry you expect me to find you a job too, I was busy working so I had not seen your request. Everything I have we earned no one gave me anything, and I do not expect them to. Thats the difference between me and you.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That explains the 8-15. Network security and client-side (ajax/jquery/html5) devs are worth their weight in gold right now.
Maybe I should start eating like the 600 pound guy that got fired because he couldn't do his job anymore and then had the Feds sue the company on his behalf, then :P.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I tend to agree, but wonder why you are saying it to me.
I wasn't getting on you, I was just pointing out that the 2 are really nothing alike. The big boys in tech find you, you don't have to market yourself to them.

I once had Apple approach me for an opening as head of their entire security division. I told them I didn't have much interest, but that didn't stop them from flying me down to the Bay, first class, putting me up in a great hotel for 4 days, and giving me their sales pitch (which I guess one could call an interview, though it was an interview in reverse). I was nonchalant, disengaged, intentionally aloof, and made absolutely no attempt to "sell myself" to any of the people I met.

When I left the Bay and got back home, there was a job offer from them waiting for me in my inbox (which I turned down - but not until I used that job offer as leverage to secure a raise at my existing job).

I agree with you that for a McDonald's position you have to be a pest, sell yourself, seem upbeat and energetic, all that jazz. My point was there is no similarity between that and IBM, Apple, etc. In the latter examples, the company is selling itself to you, not the other way around.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Is City Data having a major server problem or are some conservatives loading the thread with the same post more than once? Just asking.

H

Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Okay, okay, I am confused here. I see conservatives griping about the unemployed and how they are just a bunch of lazy morons who don't know how to do anything. Then they say there are TONS of jobs for the taking and it is the fault of the unemployed person that they are out of work. Okay, if that is the case, why aren't you voting for Barack Obama as president? I mean if things are so AWESOME like you say they are, then why not re-elect him?

I mean, my gosh, if there were tons of jobs out there and things were peachy and the bad economy was the fault of lazy Americans, I would be supporting this man's re-election, but I know better.

FYI: I don't consider myself liberal or conservative.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
I am sorry you expect me to find you a job too, I was busy working so I had not seen your request. Everything I have we earned no one gave me anything, and I do not expect them to. Thats the difference between me and you.
You missed the sarcasm. The only reason people are asking you to find them a job is because you think you are better than everyone who is unemployed. They are MORONS because they can't find work and you are BRUCE ALMIGHTY because you are SUPER AWESOME with a cushy job who looks down on stupid Americans and refuses to help those less fortunate.

Oh, and you are voting for Barack Obama right??? I mean if things are great and the economy is the fault of lazy, stupid, whiny Americans, why not support him?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 AM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
I did not say morons, I am talking more about lack of motivation, poor me talk, nobody will help me. Theres nothing cushy about my work, I at this point own 3 businesses and employ 20 people, and all of them are basic businesses. I help the unfortunate everyday because I pay a large sum of taxes to cover programs that I will never qualify for. I don't know who I would vote for right now, they all need a lesson in working together. Good luck to you, time to get to work today.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I think it's a combination of things. I agree that the jobs are there and there might be skilled people who could take them, but can they relocate across the country, or can they afford to just drop their underwater mortgage? Are they perhaps overqualified? Does the average person want to move across the country, abandon an underwater mortgage, and take a 50 percent pay cut? Or would they rather stay where they are, receive benefits until they run out, buy time, and maybe go back to school or find another line of work entirely? I'm guessing that this scenario probably reflects more realistically why these jobs aren't being filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies