Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You demonstrate the same assumptions of the Rick Scotts of this Country. Assuming that those on Welfare are predisposed to drug use because they would ask for Welfare. That false stereotype is the point of the thread. It is NOT TRUE, it is a degrading assumption that many RWers feel "entitled" to make. I just hope some think about it, before doing it.
So if most people on welfare do not use drugs, then what is your fear surrounding random drug tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
You demonstrate the same assumptions of the Rick Scotts of this Country. Assuming that those on Welfare are predisposed to drug use because they would ask for Welfare. That false stereotype is the point of the thread. It is NOT TRUE, it is a degrading assumption that many RWers feel "entitled" to make. I just hope some think about it, before doing it.
wrong,,,I dont assume anyone is predisposed to drug use..except by maybe genetics/socialolgy (ie a kid of boozer is more likely to abuse booze himself)

I assume those on welfare need a HELPing hand...not drugs

if they have a drug problem,I have no problem with welfare HELPING them to get rid of the addiction

but I do feel that those FEW who are STEALING the taxpayers money to do drugs are doing a DISSERVICE to ALL

or do you just give passes to those that are wrong...

being down on your luck is NOT AN EXCUSE TO DO DRUGS..and those FEW are hurting the many

test all..kick the FEW who cant comply

Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Those stupid disgusting welfare people need to leave the country, you money leechers. They're still poor with welfare checks. It has failed.

My grandmother back in 1930's was very poor and they didn't have anything. I know she will never touch the welfare. She absolutely hates it.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
It was a disgusting display when first proposed by the Fla RW. Serves no purpose other than feeding middle 20th Century biases. I am not on Welfare, but it is up to the people who are not on Welfare, to do what they can to prevent these type of actions. People on Welfare need help, not being degraded.
Um, is it degrading to have to pay with food stamps? Why not just give them cash and trust that they will buy food and not beer and cigs with it?

How about auditing a contractor doing work for the state? What, don't trust them and assume they are crooks?

Gee, if I'm pulled over the police ask to see my license and proof of insurance? How insulting?

Basically, you want a certain group of people to get a completely free pass from reasonable audit over the many others that have to comply with various rules and regulations.

I think that if people can afford drugs that they likely have other sources of income as welfare isn't going to pay enough. So, just from a practical standpoint the person is likely engaging in some sort of cash-job like day-labor, cleaning houses, lawn care, selling drugs, prostitution etc. and is illegally qualifying for welfare by hiding income.

P.S. Even all the multi-millionaires on the Marlins, Devil Rays etc. have to occasionally pee in a cup to keep getting their paycheck.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
It was a disgusting display when first proposed by the Fla RW. Serves no purpose other than feeding middle 20th Century biases. I am not on Welfare, but it is up to the people who are not on Welfare, to do what they can to prevent these type of actions. People on Welfare need help, not being degraded.
As someone who used to be on welfare, let me tell you that I would have gladly peed in a cup to get the money that I needed at that time. The drug tests are no more humilitaing than needing the welfare in the first place!

Really, from my own experience, the only people who complain about the drug tests are those who have or do use drugs. Me, personally, didn't use drugs and would not have had a problem with the drug tests.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Its not degrading, most people I know have one at least once a year.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I'm getting the vibe that Bob doesn't like the idea because he doesn't like the people that proposed it and thus has to knee-jerk oppose it.

Kinda like the whole anti-war movement that suffered about a 90% desertion rate over the past 3 years.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I also don't think it's degrading. I do think it is a waste of money though since now we know that the majority of those on welfare do not use drugs, so it is a waste of more tax payer money to reimburse those who take the test for their trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. its not degrading
2. it costs only $10(once or twice a year ), yet a welfare check is well over 200 a week
3. most of us have to take the test as part of our jobs(I get tested from all three jobs)
4. yes they need help... not just a handout...

I think every state should do it

Most people who get welfare do not get $200 a week. The average for a single mom with two kids is about $400 a month. Just wanted to point that out since a lot of people seem to think that welfare recipients are getting paid the equivalent of a middle class salary for some reason.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm getting the vibe that Bob doesn't like the idea because he doesn't like the people that proposed it and thus has to knee-jerk oppose it.

Kinda like the whole anti-war movement that suffered about a 90% desertion rate over the past 3 years.
I don't like it when anybody in a position of authority, misuses that authority.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
It is a subtle matter of semantics.

While welfare applicants may (or may not) be "less likely" to use drugs......

You can bet your boots that drug users are "much more likely" to be on welfare.

If the welfare recipients aren't on drugs, then they have nothing worry about, now do they?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies