Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:58 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,073,895 times

Advertisements

I have only had one personal dealing with FEMA and I cannot say a bad word about the way they treated me or my family...I was dang glad they were there and they were lightning fast in our case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It is ridiculous to claim Bush's FEMA was ineffective during Katrina because
they were too busy putting up concertina wire somewhere. All the problems related to the breakdown are very well documented.

Look, it isn't unreasonable for the govt to have plans for worst-case scenarios. We've had several occasions in our history where we have had mass internments of US citizens. If it should ever happen again (God forbid), those people are going to need food, water, tents, blankets, etc. FEMA and the Red Cross are going to be very busy providing those things.

Ron Paul is crazy, BTW. It is scary that a wild-eyed paranoid is even being seriously considered for the office of POTUS .
Excuse me???? Then I take it you thought the imprisonment of our Japanese citizens by executive order of FDR was right and just and ACCEPTABLE in a so-called "free-country"???????

Would you like to have done to you what our government did to Japanese citizens???????????????????????????????????
Japanese American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
I can't believe that I am going to rehash this...

Fallacy No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The reason not only FEMA, but also the National Guard, and Red Cross were kept out of Louisiana after Katrina is because Governor Blanco refused to declare a State of Emergency and specifically request federal assistance for a period of three days after the hurricane hit the State.
Neither the National Guard, or the Red Cross were "kept" out of Louisiana. First of all the Red Cross is a non-governmental organization not to mention the fact that the Red Cross has chapters IN Louisiana in general and New Orleans in particular and needs no declaration by anyone. By the way the same is true for the National Guard, which in the case of Louisiana was occupied at the time occupying Iraq.

Fallacy No.2

Quote:
As every Governor of every State in the Union is already aware, if they desire ANY assistance from the federal government, it must be officially requested.
True but the inference is incorrect. On August 26th then governor Blanco declared a state of emergency which triggered the Stafford Act and as a result then President Bush declared a state of emergency for Louisiana on the same day, three days prior to Katrina making landfall.

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

Fallacy No.3

Quote:
As far as "Martial Law" is concerned, there is no provision within the US Constitution that allows for its suspension. Therefore, any attempt to suspend the US Constitution would have to be considered unconstitutional. No one in the military would not abide by such a blatantly illegal order. The military swears its allegiance to the US Constitution, not the President. Suspending the US Constitution would effectively suspend the military as well.
Aside from the possible suspension of Habeas Corpus there is noting in the Constitution which would proscribe a declaration of martial law nor has there and even then Article I Section 9 allows for its suspension under certain circumstances. By the way, martial law has been declared on numerous occasions and the military has been quite obedient in carrying out the task from 1812 to the desegregation of the Little Rock Arkansas school system. Don't confuse military authority with military justice.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
It is ridiculous to claim Bush's FEMA was ineffective during Katrina
It would be insane to argue otherwise.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Your last paragraph is wishful thinking. There are NUMEROUS examples of the Constitution not being honored by those who take an oath to honor it.
Not by the military there has not been. At no time in more than 230 years has the military ever violated their oath "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." As someone who has served in the Marine Corps, I can assure you that the military will not obey any President who attempts to declare Martial Law and suspend the US Constitution, for any reason. The US Constitution is the reason for the existence of the military. To suspend the US Constitution would suspend the military's purpose for existing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
With each year that passes our elected officials heed it less and less. Our current president for one thinks he can start wars by executive order (without letting Congress first declare war like the Constitution requires) for one; our last President passing the Patriot Act which strips us of our liberties and protections is another. What we need to do is repeal the Patriot Act and again legalize the Constitution and then make sure our so called "leaders" enforce it! We are sovereigns. The government works for US- NOT the other way around (as much as they want us to believe otherwise).
I will not attempt to defend what Obama has done in Libya, that is an impeachable offense without any doubt. However, in regard to the USAPATRIOT Act you are grossly misinformed. First, Presidents do not enact laws, Congress does, and it was a GOP controlled House and a Democrat controlled Senate that originally enacted the law and later modified it. Second, there is absolutely nothing within the USAPATRIOT Act that violates any portion of the US Constitution, not our liberties or any of it's protections. If you had read the bill, which you obviously have not, you would know this. Instead you spew pure hyperbole out of sheer ignorance.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
As someone who has served in the Marine Corps, I can assure you that the military will not obey any President who attempts to declare Martial Law and suspend the US Constitution, for any reason.
SInce there is declaring martial law is not synonymous with suspending the US Constitution I guess there is a some heretofore unrecognized difference between the Marines and the Army.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
Not by the military there has not been. At no time in more than 230 years has the military ever violated their oath "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." As someone who has served in the Marine Corps, I can assure you that the military will not obey any President who attempts to declare Martial Law and suspend the US Constitution, for any reason.
Oh really? Don't you remember the US military going door to door taking guns from law abiding citizens in Katrina? If that is not unconstitutional I do not know what is.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Old 09-29-2011, 11:03 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Oh really? Don't you remember the US military going door to door taking guns from law abiding citizens in Katrina? If that is not unconstitutional I do not know what is.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
uhm

that was the LOUSIANNA NATIONAL GUARD

and law abiding citizens???you mean looters

Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

that was the LOUSIANNA NATIONAL GUARD

and law abiding citizens???you mean looters
Give me a break. The National Guard is not part of the military???? Watch this video where they take guns from wealthy INNOCENT Americans. NO ONE will be able to be armed. This video is from ABC news, so there you go...

Hurricane Katrina Door to Door Firearms Confiscation - YouTube

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 09-30-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Give me a break. The National Guard is not part of the military????
uhm they were the LOUSIANNA national guard controlled by the LOUSIANNA GOVERNOR

Old 09-30-2011, 08:20 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm they were the LOUSIANNA national guard controlled by the LOUSIANNA GOVERNOR
Still military and still sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. They followed an unconstitutional order. Hence the reason for the rise of the Oath Keepers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies