Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Would those "plans" include shutting the money teat off to farm subsidys,corporations and banks as well or just the poor,retired,sick and needy within our borders?
If that money is coming from Federal tax dollars, YES. If the poor, sick and needy LEGALLY within our borders need help it should be handled by the state they live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Most debt is not voluntary. Frequently it is taken on for survival. In the case of student loans it is for the opportunity to make more money after graduation or to simply understand the world. Why should all education be reduced to a trade school? I do not believe this debt should be protected from bankruptcy. That forces the borrower to work for the lender instead of working for themselves. That is another version of a company store.

The country would be better off without any private student loans. The loans could be made directly by the government at the Federal interest rate and collected by a fixed surcharge on taxable income until the loan is paid. This would cost the students much less and the universities and publishers could still maintain their usurious profit margins.

I do not subscribe to the notion that all debt has to be paid at all costs to the debtor. IMHO debt only has to be paid if the payments do not impoverish the debtor. Debt should never be passed on to the debtor's family. If it takes the creditor longer to reclain the loan that just means more interest is collected. If the debtor dies before the loan is paid off that is the lender's bad fortune.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If that money is coming from Federal tax dollars, YES. If the poor, sick and needy LEGALLY within our borders need help it should be handled by the state they live in.
Where the hell else would FEDERAL farm subsidys,bailout money and IRS tax loopholes for corporations come from.

I get ya on the legally thing and agree on that point 100%.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
LOL...ok...I'll rephrase it....The people that I know personally that are TB supporters and the one rally I attended gave me that impression...is that better?
Not really. I think you're lying. I've been to MANY TP rallies, and saw none of what you are alluding to. But I have heard that NPR and their ilk are spreading the lies that TP rallies and their supporters are racists. I'm thinking you heard that, and decided to jump in with the old Lib tactic of "if I hear it on NPR, it MUST be true."

Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I like how you qualified your statement, "Tea Partiers like myself". Of course that doesn't explain the thousands of Teabaggers who appeared before TV cameras protesting the government that propelled the movement into prominence. But now that you have an opportunity to protest in front of the focus of your derision, corporate domination of politics and the bailouts... where is the Tea Party???
What do you care? Your juvenile namecalling shows you will criticize the TP no matter what they do.

Why aren't you down there? Or do you sympathize with Wall Street bigshots.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Where the hell else would FEDERAL farm subsidys,bailout money and IRS tax loopholes for corporations come from.

I get ya on the legally thing and agree on that point 100%.
There shouldn't be Federal farm sub., bailouts or IRS tax loopholes in the first place so we don't have to figure out where that money comes from.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why? Oh that's right. The left marches in lock step, so they need to always, say, do and think the same thing at all times. The right, not so much.
I suppose one of you is lying, then, unless Roy thinks two people is a 'riot'.

And we all know that two people demonstrating could not possibly be termed a riot.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most debt is not voluntary. Frequently it is taken on for survival. In the case of student loans it is for the opportunity to make more money after graduation or to simply understand the world. Why should all education be reduced to a trade school? I do not believe this debt should be protected from bankruptcy. That forces the borrower to work for the lender instead of working for themselves. That is another version of a company store.

The country would be better off without any private student loans. The loans could be made directly by the government at the Federal interest rate and collected by a fixed surcharge on taxable income until the loan is paid. This would cost the students much less and the universities and publishers could still maintain their usurious profit margins.

I do not subscribe to the notion that all debt has to be paid at all costs to the debtor. IMHO debt only has to be paid if the payments do not impoverish the debtor. Debt should never be passed on to the debtor's family. If it takes the creditor longer to reclain the loan that just means more interest is collected. If the debtor dies before the loan is paid off that is the lender's bad fortune.
So you don't think that contracts should be enforced every time? I'm thinking you would change your tune if someone broke a contract with you, and you suffered for it. How about, if the payments impoverish the debtor, they choose not to go into debt?

ALL debt is voluntary. No one holds a gun to someone's head and forces them to borrow money. In the case of student loans, it's a choice to borrow against your future earnings. But that's not your only choice.

I think you're comment about trade schools is hilarious, by the way. You don't want colleges to be reduced to trade schools? Oh, yes, better to have a degree in Japanese Underwater Basket Weaving with a minor in I've Never Worked a Real Job in My Life, than to come out with a real skill.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have had people break contracts with me and I did not, mostly as a result of the lack of payment, have enough money to press charges. I suffered for my trusting. I have learned.

Many people go into debt not to but luxuries but necessities like food and shelter. Should they choose to starve in the rain? Effectively a gun is being held to their head. It is usually being held by a factory or mine owner’s company store.

By forcing payments of student loans the government is coercing these individuals to sacrifice their lives for the benefit of a banker. This is why I want the loans to be directly provided by and repaid to the government. That way we all benefit from the graduate that starts the next Microsoft and suffer a small amount from the kid that takes underwater basket weaving and realizes the pattern that creates a Warp Drive or something equally spectacular or just as mundane as raising their kids to appreciate learning for its own sake.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not really. I think you're lying. I've been to MANY TP rallies, and saw none of what you are alluding to. But I have heard that NPR and their ilk are spreading the lies that TP rallies and their supporters are racists. I'm thinking you heard that, and decided to jump in with the old Lib tactic of "if I hear it on NPR, it MUST be true."
Boy,those keyboards are awesome to hide behind for you when you call someone a liar ain't they?

I went to only one and "Joe the scab unlicensed plumber" was the big draw..so...if you call that frigging moron a speaker of substance,you deserve whomsoever "your" crackpot bunch backs for POTUS...no matter how batcrap crazy and unqualified they may be..so run what ya brung..and I'll see you at the election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies