Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times

Advertisements

Many ignorant statements over here.

In Spain, 8-9 years ago, a heterosexual couple (married, religious, living in a small town) allowed their 12-year-old son to begin hormonal treatment and sex reassignment therapy in order to change his sex. This is the result nowadays:

It has nothing to do with the parents being 2 women or 2 men. Many of you are suffering from a virulent manifestation of that widespread, and very serious, social disease called homophobia.

And for the record, I don't approve of these mothers' (or the Spanish mother and father's) decision. But their lesbianism is not the point.

It doesn't matter what sexual orientation the parents have. It is wrong for any child this age to go through something so life altering. I do agree with that.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree. Sometimes I feel like I've stumbled upon the Landover Baptist Church forum by accident. They even use the same forum software!

The Landover Baptist Church Forum
Oh my God...it gets worse than CD?

My father told me that he's gay. - The Landover Baptist Church Forum

For all of you who won't bother to click on the link...

Quote:
But I am here to ask for your prayers. I'd like all my christian brothers and sisters to gather with me in a prayer. A prayer for my father to perish in flames right away for turning away from god at the late age of 58, for turning away from God either way. For supporting same-sex marriage. I want all of us to join in prayer and wish him to die as soon as possible!
Quote:
My prayers are with you, Liam. May the LORD judge your father with the force of a million angels.

I recently had a friend who had confronted me and told me that he was among the legion of homers. I promptly did just as you did, dear Liam, and struck him with all my might. I prayed and prayed for LORDGODJESUS to do something about this, and the next day his house had burned to the ground with him inside.

The power of CHRIST is undeniable!!!

Oh, but of course, parents who want to let their child express their natural gender identity are extremist.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 09-29-2011 at 08:10 PM..

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What does that mean though? Tell me what tests they have done or what studies. What about the "minor" "medical and psychological organizations?" Maybe these major ones don't feel it is wise for them to produce text that tells millions of homosexuals that they are mentally ill? I have read that they would be motivated to do such because they did not want to have a negative reaction such as social oppression.

I also don't believe that all homosexuals could be considered to have a mental illness, but I do think that homosexuality could be a precursor to any mental instability that may arise or be a underlying cause. Think about all of the hormones, biological and physiological factors that are in play.

Finally, my understanding is that not ALL "major" organizations would say that homosexuality is not a psychological disorder.

Pentagon Document Classifies Homosexuality as Mental Disorder - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum - FOXNews.com - The Pentagon (DoD) isn't the best group to chime in on whether homosexuality is a mental illness or not, but I do think they are pretty "major."

Homosexuality and Mental Health Problems - Gives a little background on the APA's previous stance. Seems to me that they were "encouraged" to change their stance.
Oh good grief. Do you realise who NARTH are? They are a small anti-gay fringe group with conservative religious views of homosexuality. They believe in "pray away the gay" and have 100 year old outdated views of homosexuality. That's why they attack the APA- who have thoroughly debunked their bigoted views.
Using NARTH for information about gay people is like using a KKK site for information about blacks.

As for your FOX news article, did you even read it?

Do you want your views to be taken seriously? Then do some honest research.

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post

It doesn't matter what sexual orientation the parents have. It is wrong for any child this age to go through something so life altering. I do agree with that.
And I believe if the person has honest-to-goodness GID, which is diagnosable in young children, then hormone therapy is acceptable.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I would like to ask you this: What about when it DOES have something to do with the parents being a same-sex couple? Do people have the right to have concern then?

And what about all the children whose childhood is scarred by heterosexual parents or by the constant perception of forced heterosexualityetc? Or when a girl is abused by her father? What about when a boy, being straight and not wanting to be a girl, likes to play with dolls and hates everything to do with traditional masculinity, but his very heterosexual parents won't understand? What should we do in those cases?

That's been the point from the beginning. We are wondering what happens in these households? How is this NOT child endangerment?

A child is in danger when he feels isolated, severely misunderstood, abused, etc. It has nothing to do with the parents' gender or sexual preferences.

You all are basically accusing people of being homophobic because they are not foolish enough to eliminate the idea that this child has been influenced. Do you want to go out and state that there is NO WAY that a same-sex household could have such an effect on a child?

No transgendered person I've ever known grew up in a same-sex household, so I just can't see how growing up in one can be an explanation for it.

THAT is the question. Does it? If it could then people have the right to have concern for a child in such a household.

If you think that gender identity issues are a problem, and if you're really so worried, maybe you should begin by traditional households. There are countless examples. Transgender people are nothing new, you know...

However, you all want to be blind to the truth and push people off as homophobic.

So where's that truth? Until now, you've been hypothetical. As in: so what if it was homosexuality that caused the dodo to become extinct?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Science has shown that homosexuality is not something that is learned or can be chosen.

Tell us, did you CHOOSE to be a heterosexual?

If your answer is no, you have the answer of what homosexuals say about their orientation. They didn't choose.

If they have the science to back their findings up, then they'll be taken seriously. so far, the only ones against homosexuality and calling it a "mental disorders" have been bigots.

Based on what research? I know a lot of homosexuals and they have a ordinary life as any other person I know.

the same hormones, biological and psychological factors that plague you day in a day out.

they are not a MAJOR psychological or even a medically funded organization. The Pentagon is a major OFFICE building with sometimes bad policies in place.

From your link:

Critics said the reference underscores the Pentagon's failing policies on gays, and adds to a culture that has created uncertainty and insecurity around the treatment of homosexual service members, leading to anti-gay harassment.[LEFT]
It's an article from 2006. I believe that you should cite something more recent. Having old policies in place in government (DADT anyone?) that haven't been updated in 30 years is not a way to support your argument.
[/LEFT]

So what? You know what was the original cure for Hysteria in Women? To induce orgasms through the use of a vibrator. How does this relate? How is hysteria treated today? Why the change?

view on homosexuality has changed, including learning that its not a mental disorder.
No, I didn't choose hetereosexuality. Can you really say that ALL homosexuals didn't choose to be heterosexual? Also, don't you think that based on what we know about genetics and biology that heterosexuality was the intended state of us as human beings? I mean, someone is born with a recognized disorder, we recognize it as a disorder. Yet, you all are saying that because gay people are born with it that it is not a disorder or something? How is sexuality different than other genetic disorders? Just explain please, I would like to know.

What science has shown that homosexuality is not learned or chosen?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
It seems to me people are frequently doing things to enhance or counteract their masculinity or femininity. Why, I myself own a Danish penis stretcher.

The real questions, setting aside personal beliefs:

--should this set a precedence?
--should a reasonable minimum age be set?
--should insurance (or single payer or whatever) help fund this in the future?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 09-29-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: edited because it's more properly termed a "stretcher" than an "extender"

Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're obviously trolling. I can't believe that any intelligent person could express such ignorance and expect to be taken seriously.
Are you gay? I'm just giving my statement and opinion on the matter. I believe everything I say.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Why are you presenting those scenarios of household issues to me? Duh, I would want those children to be free of those manipulations as well. The same for a household such as the one seen in the article. You ask me, "What should we do," LOL, duh, we would treat it the same as this.

No, a child is not only in danger in the situations that you describe. The relevant authorities show concern for children who are in situations where they may be manipulated and not realize it; all sorts of other situations.

I thought you KNEW that this was a discussion to hopefully discuss ideas about this topic. So, wouldn't it make sense that there would be some hypotheses? No one is saying that this is the be-all-end-all, but questions deserve to be asked.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
AKA:

No, there are no sources.

Gotcha.
What source would you like? Why are you so quick to discredit people's very easy, accessible observation? Are you familiar with psychological studies? Often that is all that they do. Of course, there are interviews that could happen, but for those who may have studied psychology or sociology, it is very easy to make a hypothesis based on interaction and experience.

If you want a scientific study, how about researching to see what has already been done. But until then, I think that many have the ability to post their hypothesis based on common knowledge and their interactions. And that is all it is: an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies