Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What they said
If Paul had been President OBL would also still be alive and safe from justice, the more I think about Paul as President the more I have second thoughts on the idea. The president is sworn to protect this Nation against our enemies both foreign and domestic.
Indeed. However, first and foremost his duty is to uphold the US Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:52 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
True liberals look at themselves just fine in the morning. The problem from my perspective are those "liberals" who are willing to compromise their values and principles in order to support the actions of Obama just because he has a "D" after his name....
Bingo.

I especially liked Greenwald's comparison of the death penalty being cheered, and "liberals" cheering this on. It really goes to show that most in politics, and around politics have no real principles, it's all a game to them. All that matters is if the home team is winning. Barack Obama could abolish the income tax, privatize the entire federal government, eliminate social security and medicare, invade about 3 more countries, help get abortion banned in America, help get gay marriage banned by the Constitution, and there would still be "liberals" defending him because of the (D) behind his name.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Why should being American protect you if you are a terrorist and commiting treason against your country.

I tell you what this left-of-center liberal says:

I love my country, I love the fact that we can argue ourselves crazy here.

Nutjobs like the ones who just got taken out don't understand that and wanted to destroy it.

Give 'em a one-way ticket to hell, courtesy of the American taxpayers. I got NO problem with it. You don't get on that ****list for parking in the wrong place or having dark skin.
So I hope your consistent and approve of torture and things like the death penalty. Say what you want about the death penalty, at least we give them a trial.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Glen Greenwald would be considered a leftist by most folks. One I happen to agree with on this issue. So, for those of you claiming no one on the left is decrying this action...here you go:

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
This terrorist may have been "American born", but that doesn't make him American. He has given up his rights as a "citizen". He never was "American".

How many years has this person been plotting, planning and advocating the destruction of America?

I applaud this action. We need more of this. This is the way to deal with these killers. Let's not be stupid.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Sam, you cut right to the heart of the matter with this point. If "we" can do it, "they" can too. Fellow Americans, on the left the right, we need to unite and stand together. We truly are losing everything. Our government can now kill us without due process? If you're thinking, well, it's only killing Muslims -- don't be so short-sighted -- today a Muslim, tomorrow a Jew then a Christain the day after that.

If this is true, and if Obama has ordered the killing of an American citizen without due process in flagrant disregard for the oldest and most sacredly held American principles, he needs to be impeached and forcibily removed from office. I say this as a liberal Democrat who has been a general supporter of Obama on most things. This is bigger than the next election or what party gets this to be in charge. This is our rights and freedoms as Americans that is at stake.

The only way we are going to remain free is if we hold our leaders accountable.
Are you serious? This man was a terrorist, and he had nothing but contempt for America. He wanted to destroy America. At what point do we quit protecting our enemies?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
The idiots cheering for this are too short sighted to see the full consequences.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
For all of your rancor, there is another issue. Nobody has ever even implied that Awlaki constituted a danger to any American, except by exercising his first amendment rights to free speech, press and religion. He's a blogger, for chrissake, he publishes a web journal in which he exhorts Muslims to defend their homeland from an enemy. whom he has identified (with amazing accuracy) as the USA. The fact that legitimate gun-and-bomb terrorists take him seriously does not make HIM a criminal. That's like saying Socrates is an enemy combatant, because terrorists use his line of logical reasoning.

I cannot find a single word about him that would implicate him in any activity that is not constitutionally protected, except "according to some sources", or "is thought to be". We had him in our hands once, and the only thing we could legally charge him with was passport fraud, and even US government prosecutors agreed that those were baseless charges and they were dropped.

At a bare minimum, an "enemy combatant" would at least need to engage in some kind of combat more overt than writing a blog. And "giving comfort to the enemy", to the Tea Party, would be vague enough to include writing a blog in defense of food stamps.

If you know of, with substantive evidence, of anything Awlaki has done that is not his constitutional right to do, let's hear about it. Meanwhile. Obama has violated almost all ten of the amendments to his constitutional rights, in ways that Rick Perry can't even dream of..

We can't just murder everyone who takes an unauthorized stand. Or can we, now, effective today, with legal precedent?

"We are the change that we seek."
--Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2008.

(It's this, or the Tea Party, folks.)

Last edited by jtur88; 10-01-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So I hope your consistent and approve of torture and things like the death penalty. Say what you want about the death penalty, at least we give them a trial.
Since you seem to be interested in my views onthe suject, the answer is yes, I do think that the death penalty is appropriate under certain circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I cannot find a single word about him that would implicate him in any activity that is not constitutionally protected, except "according to some sources", or "is thought to be". We had him in our hands once, and the only thing we could legally charge him with was passport fraud, and even US government prosecutors agreed that those were baseless charges and they were dropped.
Well golly gosh, our national security would be safe in your hands huh?

Has it not occurred to you that perhaps our intelligence agencies have access to information that you cannot get with a google search? Or have you perhaps had the opportunity to sift through the flash drives etc that were confiscated when OBL was killed and make a determination that the guy was not a threat?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are you serious? This man was a terrorist, and he had nothing but contempt for America. He wanted to destroy America. At what point do we quit protecting our enemies?
You're missing the point. I am not protecting this guy -- I'm protecting my right as an American citizen to not be assassinated without due proces.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Default Ron Paul condemns killing of Al-Qaida leader

I don't want to use the word murder or assassination as it will evoke rage amongst the right.

Ron Paul: Anwar Al-Awlaki, U.S.-Born Al-Qaeda Cleric, 'Assassinated'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies