Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:34 AM

296 posts, read 413,706 times

Advertisements

We are not talking about small and medium businesses that are creating wealth without the financial trickery of wall street banksters.

The corporate mongrels are the giant corporations who have created a plutocracy by influencing laws in their favor. They learned that they can make things so complex, that only they have the solution to today's economic troubles. For example:

Complex health care policy attempts to create zero risk, and knows no fiscal limit. The nuns who started hospitals would not be allowed to operate them today because it's all about big computer records and big insurance.

Big business loves our legal system. I like the laws in Germany (I think): If you trip on my sidewalk, it's your own damn fault.

One more biggie: 15% capital gains tax with no federal income tax. That is criminal.

The OP is right. But we can level the playing field, and big business ain't gonna like dat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Corporations have not done anything good for people.
Well, that is a pretty astonishing statement.

The last time I wanted to get across the country in a hurry, a corporation sold me a ticket to get on one of their many airplanes at a time of my choosing. I'm not sure I would trust "Bob's Corner Airline" to do the same.

Just today I went to a nearby retail location of a giant corporation to buy food for my family. (As a country we spend less of our income for food than any generation in our history, which is nice.) I had the choice of products from at least four continents, all brought to my neighborhood by other corporations.

I drove to that store in a vehicle that was built by a large corporation--every vehicle I have ever purchased has been better than the one before. I don't think any small group of the million people that live closest to me could duplicate the feat of providing me with a vehicle.

I did not need to own an oil well, pipelines, or a refinery in order to put gasoline in the vehicle. Large corporations do all that for me, and all I have to do is pay a few bucks per gallon, when I need it, where I need it.

Corporations provide jobs to about a hundred million Americans, and many people own their own small corporations as well.

I disagree 100% with your premise, and cannot figure out how you came to such a conclusion.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Well, that is a pretty astonishing statement...
I disagree 100% with your premise, and cannot figure out how you came to such a conclusion.
Best illustrated through retort of your own rose colored glass premises.

Quote:
The last time I wanted to get across the country in a hurry, a corporation sold me a ticket to get on one of their many airplanes at a time of my choosing. I'm not sure I would trust "Bob's Corner Airline" to do the same.
Alaska bush pilots and Carribean hop flights keep the local economy moving since flight began despite lack of corporate service. AA used to have business class flights on american eagle small commuter planes swarming along the eastern seaboard for a reason. Small has it's advantages, and big is not defacto better. How many massive airlines have gone bankrupt over the past 30 yrs?

Quote:
Just today I went to a nearby retail location of a giant corporation to buy food for my family. (As a country we spend less of our income for food than any generation in our history, which is nice.) I had the choice of products from at least four continents, all brought to my neighborhood by other corporations.
Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die is immediate gratification on steroids. When the profits of that system depend upon pitting one economy against another, it's not sustainable for the long haul. You can enjoy the luxury today blissfully ignorant to the slave labor of a 6yr old boy in a Santo Domingo cane field yielding the contents of your sugar bowl, but your own kids do pay eventually for the willful ignorance on your part today.

Quote:
I drove to that store in a vehicle that was built by a large corporation--every vehicle I have ever purchased has been better than the one before. I don't think any small group of the million people that live closest to me could duplicate the feat of providing me with a vehicle.
Yugo's never happen. Ford motor company was hatched perfectly formed into conglomeration state by self made men. Not born. Not nurtured, cultivated, and evolved into excellence. No ethics. No symbiotic relationship with the community or host nation.

Quote:
I did not need to own an oil well, pipelines, or a refinery in order to put gasoline in the vehicle. Large corporations do all that for me, and all I have to do is pay a few bucks per gallon, when I need it, where I need it.
They do? Not the thousands of people pulling together to deliver? Not the existence of a resource in the first place? They invented the internet too! All hail worship ye golden calf! There's that funny math again, and how dare anyone say no thanks I'm having none.

Quote:
Corporations provide jobs to about a hundred million Americans, and many people own their own small corporations as well.
Large conglomerations have displaced millions of small companies forcing Americans into corporate jobs. More choices and independence in discrete particles is a good thing. Diversity (don't keep all your eggs in one basket) also a good thing. Too big to fail, not so much. Politically speaking, yourself along with R's are quick to defend wealthy class 'job creators' who are materially not job creators save for their own whims. We've already tried your plan and it yielded a big sucking sound. They don't have to create jobs. They can live idle indefinitely. They are the welfare queens you claim citizens & consumers are.

Small business cannot afford to be idle. They are the REAL job creators and they're the first to be ignored politically as you hand lollipops out to those who don't need them who only to expect more and play mom off dad. Nary a tax break or stream lined process for them. That's why I've got a problem with your shiny happy picture skewed to reward the very people causing massive problems for too long now. 60% + of American economy going small business with the potential to evolve larger, merge, etc is far more in keeping with a real recovery and America returning to baseline objectives of self sufficiency. We needed to be in the export business a long time ago.

Here's a cautionary tale of 20 layers of faulty policy. Don't fixate just on IMF, but the obtuse neo colonial mentalities disrupting other industries & niche markets negatively to the point of enslaving an entire population. Life and Debt | A Film By Stephanie Black

Old 10-04-2011, 09:22 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
They are not for competition. It's all about wealth control. It's contrary to the idea of capitalism. Corporations have not done anything good for people.

Absolutely, kill off all of the competition gain a monopoly and then gouge. Just look at Internet options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies