Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times

Advertisements

So the original tea party folks were a bunch of tree huggers with no jobs howling about how the evil rich needs to pay for em to live? I don't recall that. Maybe public education needs to be changed so we all know what they actually stood for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
I can see it. Back in 1773, defecating in the street was common, and bathing optional.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:03 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My guess is this person is a Tea Party conservative who got lost.

At Tea Party Rallies I've attended, they provided Portapotties.

Seriously, when they called the Wall Street protest a "movement", this guy took it way too seriously! Or, when Obama said, "Pass it now," he thought he was talking to him?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Yeah and they "organized" on facebook.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In a time of cut backs and diminishing wealth. The 400 wealthiest people saw their wealth increase by 12%. The top 1% make money no matter what is happening with the economy. How is that possible.?

Richest Americans' net worth up 12 percent to $1.5 trillion, Forbes 400 list says | NJ.com

They have the funds to employ their own investment analyst, probably more than 3 of them.

They invest/loan their monies to other large business at a large rate of return

They also have monies deposited overseas, their monies are invested in US Treasuries at a good return

Right now they are controlling the stock market, most investment or retirement accounts for the people who have worked hard and saved their money, have had huge losses, that's how they play, their way or the highway.

They just sit back and collect, those people in congress know this and don't give a damn as long as they are getting their kickbacks.

The so called job creators are not creating jobs they are hoarding their wealth.

I believe Wells Fargo was given money by the treasury during the bailouts to be loaned out to small business and mortgages, they didn't do it, kept the money.

Those small banks knew giving mortgages to anyone was wrong, they had to obey their superiors, while the wealthy acquired more wealth, they knew the game and played it well.

Greed, pure greed

Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Believe the original Tea Party of 1773 had a very clear and concise message and goal. This group seems to have no goal, no message, and very little consensus.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm a moderate republican and small business owner who has zero options in my own party now because it's been taken over by radical right wingers and corporate cronies. I'm upset with both the D's and the R's because I don't think either side is working in my interest. Like the protests or not, they're making people think and venting lots of the frustration that everyday Americans have with our current economic situation. I think the protest movement these kids have started is only going to get bigger. That said, the only way we're going to have reform on Wall Street is if the people we've elected--R's and D's--pass laws that make it happen. You can bring attention and involve people by working outside of the system, but you can't actually make change without working in it. Right now their goals are all over the place, but if they can sort it out and come up with a agenda that appeals to every day America, and an action plan to get there, I think we might actually see real fiscal reform in this country. We'll have to see what happens.
These days the average Joe or Jane would need over $50,000. to start a small business, have good credit, the banks are not going to give you the credit/debit card machine to just anyone. The credit/debit card corporations/banks take a nice slice % out of the small business owners pie just for accepting their debit/credit cards, then in turn charge the card holder a % if their bill is not paid in 30 days.

Mostly you need squeaky clean credit to obtain an account with a supplier, at times some suppliers request a new customer to buy a minimum order of product, that can be anywhere from $1000 to $10,000.

People having foreclosures on their homes, with layoffs or jobs cut with downsizing, if they do have some liquid assets its most likely not enough, how can they get some help to even start a business.

There are fee's and rents, inventory before you even open the door, plus don't even think about opening a business without an attorney.

Its a shame, some look into starting a business see what they are faced with and have to say the hell with it.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,282,300 times
Default ows

Their GA made an announcement a couple of days ago. They stated their position quite clearly.It was broadcast on Wednesday night. I do not know how to post a link, but Keith Olbermann read it on his show.I am sure it can be googled.

Last edited by kathys; 10-08-2011 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
well how about this repatreatre the jobs that were outsourced and have them work at their old jobs and old wages is that a freebee?
Oh man, I can just see those "outraged" BFA grads lining up for mfg jobs if they came back to the US.

Why don't they go where the mfg jobs are growing? Kia plant in GA, VW plant in TN, some other auto plant in MS.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Their GA made an announcement a couple of days ago. They stated their position quite clearly.
Trying to figure this out but what is GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies