Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM

525 posts, read 896,513 times

Advertisements

hey how do I post a new thread?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,018,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

his TRUE gender is male..he is (and shall ever be) a Y chrome....no sex change will ever change his DNA
That's his "sex" not his "gender". His "gender" has to do more with how his mind perceives his body.

And in this case, his mind is that of a female, which doesn't match up to his "sex", which is that of a male.

Hence, GID.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I just don't know how I feel about this new thing about letting their kids go through these hormone changes before puberty..
Yeah it sounds overly progressive, and some people do it just to be smug and say they did it..

But it just seems so young. Like I said in the lesbian thread, I didn't know i was gay until my late teens. That was more a realization than anything else...but this.. this is different.

I am far far far from those people who will view someone who is transgendered as someone "with a mental disorder". However, it's always possible that some DO have one. I just think 10...is just... ::shrugs::

I agree with this. I am not gay and I don't think homosexuality or those who are transgendered have "mental disorders" but I just think that 10 is just too young to make life long decisions of this nature.

I have read a limited amount of literature regarding sex changes and from what I have learned (though it is limited) it seems to me that the sexual organs are not equivalent to the real thing, if you KWIM and that in and of itself would cause me, as a parent, to go ahead and let my child enter puberty and experience a regular sex life. These parents could have supported their son dressing as a girl/woman or even taking hormones at an older age IMO but I would not, as a parent want my child to get a sex change until they have seen what sex is like and they know all of the consequences of their actions and how this sort of change is life altering.

That said, I do think that these parents and the lesbian parents are doing what they feel is the right thing to do in their situation and based on the advice that they got from professionals. But I am not one to trust "professionals" and I do feel that the majority of those in all medical professions are too "pro-medical intervention." Both of these children could be supported emotionally. They could be put in touch with other transgendered individuals to mentor them and to have someone to confide in about their lives. I know as a parent though I would not want to mess with my child's body like that. But I am someone who is not comfortable even with anti-biotics unless they are absolutely necessary. Hormone therapy is unneccesary in this situation IMO.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,376,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
That's his "sex" not his "gender". His "gender" has to do more with how his mind perceives his body.

And in this case, his mind is that of a female, which doesn't match up to his "sex", which is that of a male.

Hence, GID.
fact...HIS DNA is that of a MALE..a Y chrome

as to HIS mind....I dont care what his 'mind says"..he is a male..even if he removed the male parts..he is still a male (y chrome)

Old 10-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
fact...HIS DNA is that of a MALE..a Y chrome

as to HIS mind....I dont care what his 'mind says"..he is a male..even if he removed the male parts..he is still a male (y chrome)
Fact.

Gender=/=sex.

This is pure fact.

You can change your gender, but you cannot change your sex.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,630,309 times
Quote:

the kid has a PSYCOLOGICAL problem
Many experts would agree with you, including those at Johns Hopkins, who tried the sex change surgeries on their patients with a 10 year follow up and found no change in these poor souls level of emotional well being after their reassignment. They then stopped performing the surgeries, realizing it was a psychological problem that required a psychological, not physical treatment.

"In 1966, the Johns Hopkins Hospital announced that it was performing sex reassignment surgery through its Gender Identity Clinic. Those procedures were halted in 1979, when a study by Dr. Jon Meyer, a follow-up on patients who had undergone the operations, did not show any improvement in their wellbeing."

"Dr. Paul McHugh, then the head of the psychiatry department at Hopkins, made the decision to halt the procedures, saying they destroyed healthy organs and that physicians needed to focus on healing transgendered persons' minds, rather than altering their bodies." (bolded mine)

Page 2: Buying Time for Gender-Confused Kids - ABC News

And there are side effects to the hormonal treatment they are giving these children.

"While the effects of drug treatments can be stopped, long-term hormone therapy can be irreversible, causing permanent infertility in both sexes."

Read more: Critics Slam Boston Doctor Who Offers Sex Change Treatment to Kids - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News - FOXNews.com

I feel sorry for these poor kids and worry that they are being used as guinea pigs. I guess the ultimate decision is between their parents and their physicians. But, I resent the fact that there is a tendancy to try and "normalize" this and teach all our children that this is "normal" via the public schools.

"A gender diversity lesson at a California elementary school that featured single-sex geckos and transgender clownfish has angered conservative critics, who question its appropriateness for in-class instruction...The lessons were presented by an outside anti-bullying educational group called Gender Spectrum, paid for with a $1,500 grant from the California Teachers Union."

Read more: Transgender Clownfish? Gender Diversity Lesson At California School Riles Critics | Fox News

Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,596,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Fact.

Gender=/=sex.

This is pure fact.

You can change your gender, but you cannot change your sex.
psychology = "soft science"

This is pure fact.

It's stupid to override biology because of the opinion of the month.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
psychology = "soft science"

This is pure fact.

It's stupid to override biology because of the opinion of the month.
Recordable brainwaves is not "soft science".

Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,823,881 times
Quote:
After many years, the family found a psychologist who had experience with gender issues. At the end of a two-month evaluation, the therapist gave them a diagnosis: gender identity disorder.

Gender identity disorder is the label most psychiatrists and psychologists give to children who believe themselves to be born into the wrong biological body. It involves a range of behaviors, but on one end of the spectrum there are children like Armand: kids who are more than effeminate boys or masculine girls who may turn out to be gay in adulthood. These are children who genuinely believe they are girls — even though they have a male body — or boys, even though they have a female body.
At least these mental heath professionals properly diagnosed the mental disorder with this child before he got to be too old. Hopefully this disorder can be treated properly allowing this child to have as normal of a childhood as possible.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,286,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
At least these mental heath professionals properly diagnosed the mental disorder with this child before he got to be too old. Hopefully this disorder can be treated properly allowing this child to have as normal of a childhood as possible.

Normal????????????????????

Last edited by buddy5; 10-03-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.