Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Looks like the pilots see the writing on the wall and are retiring in droves to protect their pensions.
Yes, of course. The moment the airlines get "leverage" over the unions, they'll be on solid footing and it will be nothing but peaches and cream. (Why would you even consider something like changing the way they do business--when all you have to do is sneer that code word, unions?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Anyone ever been inside an aircraft maintenance hangar for a large airline? I have, many times. Anyone care to know how many times i've seen a union aircraft mechanic sitting in a chair reading a newspaper or playing checkers? Anyone care to know how much they get paid to sit in that chair and do nothing? Anyone care to know how they are considered untouchable because of unionization?

Liberals go bat **** crazy over unions, which is insanely bizarre, considering they don't even really seem to have a grasp on what really goes on in Unionized America.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Looks like the pilots see the writing on the wall and are retiring in droves to protect their pensions.

AMR Decade-Worst Drop Spurs Trading Halts - Bloomberg

They are a private corporation. If they made a deal with a union that made it impossible for them to profit, that is a bad business decision. Better to close the doors if you can't find good workers at that point.

So its not the Unions fault, its the airlines fault.

And the airline industry is hurting because a flight doesn't go to where most people want, and its cheaper to put a family of 4 in a car and drive 8 hours then it is to pay for round trip tickets, then rent a car, and pay 1600 dollars for that.

When I make long trips, by myself, I fly. Much cheaper then gas prices. But the more people that are going, the cheaper it is to drive. And thats why the airlines are hurting, its cheaper to drive.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:

AMR Decade-Worst Drop Spurs Trading Halts - Bloomberg
Another fine victory for the unions of the USA.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Another fine victory for the unions of the USA.

If I walk up to you and say "I will work for you, only if you pay me 100,000 dollars a year, and all I will do is sweep your floor", and you agree to that, is it my fault you are a moron, or your fault?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If I walk up to you and say "I will work for you, only if you pay me 100,000 dollars a year, and all I will do is sweep your floor", and you agree to that, is it my fault you are a moron, or your fault?
After the bankruptcy they will be making a lot less money and for those about to retire....the will be the victims of the Welcome to PBGC.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
After the bankruptcy they will be making a lot less money and for those about to retire....the will be the victims of the Welcome to PBGC.

Then the union members have a problem with their union representation.

But the workers tell the union what to go for. If they demand more then the company can give, then the company can lay them off, or pay and go out of business anyway.

Its still the businesses fault for signing the contract. Nothing wrong with asking for more then you should get, but when someone agrees to that, its their fault.

If the airlines pay to much for labor, its their fault, not the unions. If the airline goes out of business and the union all loses their jobs, that the workers and the unions fault.

But don't feel bad for the airline because they were stupid.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They are a private corporation. If they made a deal with a union that made it impossible for them to profit, that is a bad business decision. Better to close the doors if you can't find good workers at that point.

So its not the Unions fault, its the airlines fault.

And the airline industry is hurting because a flight doesn't go to where most people want, and its cheaper to put a family of 4 in a car and drive 8 hours then it is to pay for round trip tickets, then rent a car, and pay 1600 dollars for that.

When I make long trips, by myself, I fly. Much cheaper then gas prices. But the more people that are going, the cheaper it is to drive. And thats why the airlines are hurting, its cheaper to drive.
Just what we need, more unemployed. It's greed on both ends.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,654 times
So now we are going after pilots, first it was the teachers.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Let them go under. Sink or float is part of business and someone else will step up and fill their spot.

On a side note , did the airlines ever pay back their bailout from after 9/11?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies