Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

It's so sad for the employees themselves that the unions couldn't do it the easy way and compromise. They will be paid less, be forced to be more productive, and have far less benefits than they would have if they had just given in a little bit.

The unions' greed and extreme sense of entitlement play a big role in this.

AMR is the largest employer in my city and my county. This is going to be a big blow to our local economy with all the layoffs and pay cuts that will take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Oh come on now, AMR is just ducking out of it's bills, cutting employee wages and bennies, and of course, setting things up for some big Exec bonus increases. You know, the new American way of proper Business.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Air travel has always been the most expensive, in terms of energy and money, of all the options. It has also always been heavily subsidized by the government ranging from the Post Office to Air Traffic Control. If we cannot subsidize high speed passenger rail travel we should not subsidize air travel as well.

IMHO the real problem with American Airlines is their failure to make the investment in new and efficient aircraft years ago. They kept the apparent costs down to create bigger bonuses for the executives at the expense of the stock holders that would eventually be ruined. That is not a surprise!

A friend just left the airline industry because there is no real future in the business. High energy costs per passenger will eventually make it too expensive for mass market flying. I do not see any way to power aircraft without using petroleum based fuel and a lot of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Air travel has always been the most expensive, in terms of energy and money, of all the options."

Umm.... It is cheaper for me to fly down the Northeast corridor (Boston to DC) than to take the Amtrak Acela Express... (though this train is WAY better than flying)

Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
American pilots playing with fire | Mitchell Schnurman | Dallas Business, Texas Business... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/11/14/3525977/american-pilots-playing-with-fire.html - broken link)

The saga continues.

A perfect example of how unions actually end up hurting working Americans.
(Mis)management of course has nothing to do with their current situation, eh? How big a cut in salaries and bonuses have the suits in the corner offices volunteered to take?

Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
(Mis)management of course has nothing to do with their current situation, eh? How big a cut in salaries and bonuses have the suits in the corner offices volunteered to take?
I already said that I also disapprove of the management's actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Looming bankruptcy didn't stop the CEO and other executives from getting a big fat bonus
Quote:
Yes, which understandably upset the unions.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I'm waiting for them to put a credit card payment system on the lav doors to access the toilet.

They charge for everything else in an attempt to balance their books - why not that too.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I already said that I also disapprove of the management's actions.
My bad, I missed it. I'm guess I'm just too used to seeing people blame only one party for issues created by a two party contract.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
strange we give millions to CEO's, and billions in foreign aid and trillions to DOD contracts for war. but they always think that cutting wages and cutting off pensions to those who earned them, is the only solution to america's money problems.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
strange we give millions to CEO's, and billions in foreign aid and trillions to DOD contracts for war. but they always think that cutting wages and cutting off pensions to those who earned them, is the only solution to america's money problems.
Boy isn't that the truth. The execs better feel the pinch as much as the line employees. Not just in compensation packages, but in those fancy exec benefits. Buut who am I kidding? They'll get bonuses.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
It's so sad for the employees themselves that the unions couldn't do it the easy way and compromise. They will be paid less, be forced to be more productive, and have far less benefits than they would have if they had just given in a little bit.

The unions' greed and extreme sense of entitlement play a big role in this.

AMR is the largest employer in my city and my county. This is going to be a big blow to our local economy with all the layoffs and pay cuts that will take place.
Absolute bullshizzle. There is no defending management. None! 100M in bonuses? Your tepid disapproval of managements actions is not balanced by your strident condemnation of the unions refusal to bend over and get shafted... for the third time.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies