Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No.

Banks are businesses, they should make profits. They are making profits. They are making huge profits. Billions of dollars. I'd like it if they made billions of dollars for actually providing services, rather than skimming the till. The debit usage fee isn't justified. It's an extra burden on customers. I hope those customers do walk, even run, to credit unions and small banks. But I don't think it's going to change the "banking culture" at big banks like Bank of America where the "banking culture" is clearly a problem.
It's not like the consumer doesn't have the option to pay cash or use a credit card, or even a check...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
How many people carry and use debit cards?

How many people go to a Bieber concert?

I realize that scale is sometimes irrelevant to a discussion, but I think it's relevant to this discussion because on one hand we are talking about a singular entertainment event, and on the other hand we are talking about 520 million debit cards, used often daily, which has an impact on the nation and its economy. So the nation, the nation's government, has an interest in banks, but not an interest in Bieber.
However if you add up all the high-profit-margin stuff that the average person spends money on, it would far out weigh the debit card even though the debit card is used by many.

Consider:

software (high profit margin stuff) A $50 dollar program costs pennies to produce (if we measure costs by the same standard we're using with debit card transactions).
art pieces (how much does it 'cost' the artist to manufacture a painting?
lap dances (how much does it cost a stripper to perform a $20 lap dance?
potato chips--c'mon how much does it cost to mfg a 3 oz bag of chips that sells for a dollar?
NBA players--what does it cost an NBA player to develop his skills for his $5 million /yr salary.

So examples of high profit margin items abound. Usually it involves a relatively rare skill set (such as setting up a debit card network). Or a convenience factor ($1 bag of potato chips).

So if all these other things dwarf debit cards in terms of scale, again, why cap debit cards but not all these other items?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
However if you add up all the high-profit-margin stuff that the average person spends money on, it would far out weigh the debit card even though the debit card is used by many.

Consider:

software (high profit margin stuff) A $50 dollar program costs pennies to produce (if we measure costs by the same standard we're using with debit card transactions).
art pieces (how much does it 'cost' the artist to manufacture a painting?
lap dances (how much does it cost a stripper to perform a $20 lap dance?
potato chips--c'mon how much does it cost to mfg a 3 oz bag of chips that sells for a dollar?
NBA players--what does it cost an NBA player to develop his skills for his $5 million /yr salary.

So examples of high profit margin items abound. Usually it involves a relatively rare skill set (such as setting up a debit card network). Or a convenience factor ($1 bag of potato chips).

So if all these other things dwarf debit cards in terms of scale, again, why cap debit cards but not all these other items?
None of your examples "dwarf" debit cards in terms of scale, or even come close to meeting the "scale" of debit cards. 520 million debit cards are currently in circulation. That's scale.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It's not like the consumer doesn't have the option to pay cash or use a credit card, or even a check...right?
Banks got you addicted on plastic not because they were thinking about your convenience, but reducing their overhead and other costs. It is the same way with electronic/paperless billing.

But see, bean counters are about maximizing profits. When they run out of ideas, you get "fees" tacked on. Their reason is simple, but they surely want to make you feel better about doing business with them, and blame something else they know you would, easily.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

But see, bean counters are about maximizing profits. When they run out of ideas, you get "fees" tacked on. Their reason is simple, but they surely want to make you feel better about doing business with them, and blame something else they know you would, easily.
Yeah, and that is when somebody pops up with a better way to do it, or a different method, or a better product.

Can you imagine trying to explain the squabble about debit card fees to a Rip Van Winkle that fell asleep in 1980 and just woke up? (It would be harder than convincing him that the Detroit Lions have the best record in the NFL!)

Now imagine how the world will look in thirty more years...

Competition is the antidote to too much profit, always has been, always should be...excepting, of course, Sen. Durbin, who sought to take bank profits and put them in the pockets of retailers. It was never about the consumer.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:36 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
You liberals keep on thinking that the Government knows best........

Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
None of your examples "dwarf" debit cards in terms of scale, or even come close to meeting the "scale" of debit cards. 520 million debit cards are currently in circulation. That's scale.
note the phrase 'if you add up.' If you add up all the high profit things you buy in a month (e.g. starbucks) yes it's going to far outweigh that .40 cents or so per debit swipe.

And now that the new law is in place even more so. I won't even use my debit card any more except at ATMs. Why would I when I can just as easily use a credit card and avoid the fee? I always pay my credit cards in full anyway. It looks like my bank is planning to impose a $3.00 fee. I'm sure that millions of people will be mostly shelving their debit cards too. So your 'scale' argument, weak as it was to begin with, is down the drain.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Competition is the antidote to too much profit, always has been, always should be...excepting, of course, Sen. Durbin, who sought to take bank profits and put them in the pockets of retailers. It was never about the consumer.
Competition may be an antidote, but there are plenty of obstacles for competition itself to exist. Corporations grow into giants, and maintain the desire to eliminate any and all competition. They are usually in position to do so, via resources and often by having politicians paid for via legalized bribery that our system calls "free speech".

As for benefits to the consumer, a contract between the retailer and the banks isn't meant to affect that. To quote my previous example, when I go to that little family run restaurant, their request is to pay cash if paying no more than $10 because the bank fee's cost is way too much. To the consumer, it is $10 either way, regardless of the contract between the bank and the retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
You liberals keep on thinking that the Government knows best........
Just as much as the conservatives wish American Revolution were about letting corporations run this country instead of installing the painful system that is the government.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
note the phrase 'if you add up.' If you add up all the high profit things you buy in a month (e.g. starbucks) yes it's going to far outweigh that .40 cents or so per debit swipe.

And now that the new law is in place even more so. I won't even use my debit card any more except at ATMs. Why would I when I can just as easily use a credit card and avoid the fee? I always pay my credit cards in full anyway. It looks like my bank is planning to impose a $3.00 fee. I'm sure that millions of people will be mostly shelving their debit cards too. So your 'scale' argument, weak as it was to begin with, is down the drain.
You don't have to add up anything.

520 million debit cards.

1 basketball player.

520 million versus 1.

The scale isn't in the cents. The scale is in the number of people affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies