Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sounds like Somalia. Great place.
Actually, it sounds like Singapore's UHC system to a certain degree. Eventually they stop taking care of you, if you don't follow the doctor's advice.

Somalia has a warlord centric government. Not sure I can see the similarities.

Also, insurance is for catastrophic cases and not doctor's visits. Read the original posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So says the 25 year old. Just wait until you try getting insurance at 65. Hopefully, that will never happen. However, if your generation has their way, there will be a lot of shocked retirees in 40 years. Or try being my 24 year old daughter, younger than you. She's a cancer survivor. She'll never be able to get private insurance. But what's just one person, right? Throw her to the lions. It was her fault she got cancer, anyway! She did something wrong. We just don't know what it was yet. (Bolded sentences sarcasm)
Please tell me what your solution is to account for the massive budget deficit we have because of entitlement programs then. Apparently you have the answers.

Look - there is simply no solution where we provide for everyone's wants and pay for it at the same time. Someone has to give something up. A person's health is THEIR responsibility. Not the governments. Whose 'fault' it is only matters if we are 3rd graders on the playground. Grow up and try to take care of yourself instead of asking other people to do that for you.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My dad is old and on Medicare. He has had to wait longer and longer to see a doctor for his Parkinson's
He has had to change doctors 4 times in the last 5 years, because they keep dropping Medicare patients. No longer taking it. There is a big shortage of doctors taking medicare. Think about that... ....

Yes, and you will love ObamaCare as the situation you experienced becomes the norm for all of us.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Even the RWers are catching up to the fact we need a single payer sytem.
Yes, and the single payer being the consumer. Not a government run program.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
As a physician, you are not a "partner" with an insurance company. You sign a contract to see thier patients for certain rates. There is no partnership about it.

I think you will see more and more of this, as insurance companies and medicare ratchet us down.
Regardless of what you want to call it, doctors rely on insurance companies (and certainly the big ones have a greater say over the smaller ones and cash paying customers).

Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, it sounds like Singapore's UHC system to a certain degree. Eventually they stop taking care of you, if you don't follow the doctor's advice.

Somalia has a warlord centric government. Not sure I can see the similarities.

Also, insurance is for catastrophic cases and not doctor's visits. Read the original posting.
Interesting to see that your model of health care happens to come from a government that believes in micro management.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Regardless of what you want to call it, doctors rely on insurance companies (and certainly the big ones have a greater say over the smaller ones and cash paying customers).
I always get a discount from the medical clinic when I pay cash.

It's subterfuge, man.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I always get a discount from the medical clinic when I pay cash.
As I mentioned yesterday, not a problem to insurance companies as long as they don't know, and largely because a few here and there pay cash. I also assume you had insurance. So, they're getting the premiums. And health care providers who don't depend on large companies for their patients are likely to do fine.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As I mentioned yesterday, not a problem to insurance companies as long as they don't know, and largely because a few here and there pay cash. I also assume you had insurance. So, they're getting the premiums.
What you say could be true, but as I'm sure you are aware, I am sworn to silence.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please tell me what your solution is to account for the massive budget deficit we have because of entitlement programs then. Apparently you have the answers.

Look - there is simply no solution where we provide for everyone's wants and pay for it at the same time. Someone has to give something up. A person's health is THEIR responsibility. Not the governments. Whose 'fault' it is only matters if we are 3rd graders on the playground. Grow up and try to take care of yourself instead of asking other people to do that for you.
Why is it, that when it comes to services for people, the stock response is "there is no more money", but when it comes to funding wars, space exploration, and the like, the mantra is "we need to increase our budget". Don't tell me to grow up bud; I have a daughter older than you and I have worked in health care for over 40 years.

For someone who doesn't believe in assigning fault, you sure do enough of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, and the single payer being the consumer. Not a government run program.
That's not "single payer"; its 350 million payers, all negotiating for their own discounts, etc. You think bookkeeping is difficult now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies