Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,482,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't know that. But even if he didn't, he was engaging in treason and working against the interests of the nation that is supposed to let him do that? That only the hitman is a criminal, but not someone who hires one? That politicians who engage in warfare are innocent because it is really the soldiers who are fighting it, if for the wrong cause?

This guy you speak of, chose not to exercise his rights. He chose to hide from authorities, and he chose to put Americans at risk. Would you have felt better if he had fired back, possibly injuring/killing Americans, to find it acceptable?

I'm not an ideologue, so I don't see a problem with getting such people dead or alive.
First, treason is a crime for which we routinely DON'T commit extrajudicial killings. But beyond that...

In what sense did he "refuse to exercise his rights?"
He wasn't charged with any crime! He was simply notified by a news article that he was on a list of people the president intended to assasinate and there was no way for him to appeal that decision, no court for him to avail himself to prove his innocence. So of course he hid from the authorities - what choice did he have?

But this isn't about him, and it's not about Obama- At least it's not for me.

It's about whether the United States should allow the President to keep a list of U.S. citizens he plans to assasinate, not be required to tell anyone who is on that list or why they are being targeted for assasination, and should this be done with zero oversight over who, how or why the President chooses to kill other American's.

Even if you believed it worked out well THIS TIME, you have to see how that system can easily spin out of control. You may trust Obama to do the right thing, but Obama won't always be President, and if he has the authority to do this so will the next several, be they Rick Perry or Dick Cheney or whoever you consider to be the worse case scenario.

There are more options than just "Do Nothing" and "Extrajudicial Assasinations."

There are several steps inbetween that could be taken. We could require a unanimous vote of the intel committess before we engaged in extrajudicial killings of Americans. We could require a full report be completed after each killing, describing who was killed and why they were killed. There are many things that could be done short of a full trial that would provide at least SOME safeguards.

Right now though, the President has full unrestricted power to assasinate american citizens and there is no oversight or accountability for how that process is completed.

That is not only dangerous, it is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,800,851 times
I wonder how many of those supporting this deliberate killing of a US citizen condemn and are outraged when Israel would target terrorists...

I do so love when leftists support the deliberate killing of US citizens with no trial or evidence presented to any court.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I wonder how many of those supporting this deliberate killing of a US citizen condemn and are outraged when Israel would target terrorists...

I do so love when leftists support the deliberate killing of US citizens with no trial or evidence presented to any court.

That my friend is a very good point.

A counter point might be that they only support the extrajudicial killings of Muslims, since few would argue that we should have killed Timothy Mcveigh by a car bomb instead of charging him with a crime and giving him a trial.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,800,851 times
I also wonder how many oppose the death penalty...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,735,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That my friend is a very good point.

A counter point might be that they only support the extrajudicial killings of Muslims, since few would argue that we should have just killed Timothy Mcveigh by a car bomb instead of charging him with a crime and giving him a trial.
There are a few left-leaning posters on here arguing against this execution. And we also argued against quite a few right-leaning posters over torture. It really isn't a matter of partisanship. Some of us are simply more ideological than others.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are a few left-leaning posters on here arguing against this execution. And we also argued against quite a few right-leaning posters over torture. It really isn't a matter of partisanship. Some of us are simply more ideological than others.

I agree this isn't about partisanship.

Some in both parties are applauding it, while others are condeming it.

It may be the first honest disagreement we've had in politics in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies