Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same person that constantly brings up the christian conquests? and the insurgent American Revolutionary soldiers??

and bringing up past history is completely applicable when it comes to this global warming thing. The current technology is obviously MUCH better than the equipment from 100 years ago and yet the alarmist constantly site data that extends well beyond 100 years.. what are the chances a measurement of 95 F was exactly 95 F in 1907?? hell, 100 years from now someone will be cracking on our caveman way of doing things right now.. and laughing at us for thinking something so absurd it obviously wasn't remotely close to plausible...

Actually I did bring up insurgent soldiers but that was on another subject, not sure what that has to do with global warming, but Christian crusades, no, I don't think so...I am not sure what your point was anyway, I certainly am an advocate for studying history and learning from it's lessons.

If you don't like the thermometers from 1900, how about 1960??

No, how about 1980??

Again I ask, what is the point of having every global international body of scientists... save one... tell us global warming is an issue if we just tune out and make jokes?

Why have scientists at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Ok this was bothering me so much I did a quick search online for answers to my own questions. (LOL - it's an addiction I tell you!)

Newer article:
Truth & Progress:: Al Gore's "Green" Home Almost Ready. Is He? (http://www.truthandprogress.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=383 - broken link)
by: JekyllnHyde - Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 15:26:25 PM EDT
"Now, I'm no environmental guru Moderator cut: shortened due to copyrights

Washington Post article (which rehashed and added info to the original story)
War on Warming Begins at (Al Gore's) Home - washingtonpost.com
"The power coming into their residence is green, renewable power," she said, explaining that the Gores participate in a program called Green Power Switch, which is run through the public Tennessee Valley Authority. Green Power Switch supplies energy from renewable sources to its members.
Kreider added that a renovation of the Gores' house is underway to make it more energy efficient, an update that will include the addition of solar panels.

Older article: (the Original story source via the TCPR - very brief)
Tennessee Center for Policy Research (http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367 - broken link)
February 26, 2007 - For Further Information, Contact: Nicole Williams

Must read about the TCPR - the external links near the bottom of the entry are very enlightening about this not so unbiased organization
Tennessee Center for Policy Research - SourceWatch

To summarize:
#1 - Al Gore is renovating his house. His original HOA didn't allow for Solar Panels but recently changed their rules - and he is putting in all the green technology available.

#2 - the original source for this whistle blowing article is not all that credible, but Al couldn't and didn't refute most of what they accused him of. He simply said that renovations have been underway ever since the HOA changed their rules.

Take it all as you will.

I personally think it's bizarre that he waited for the HOA to change their rules... he's Al Gore... LOL! If anyone could have gotten away with breaking these rules successfully, I think he would have been able to. In my neighborhood a family got away with a 4ft fence around their pool for 5 years!! (the HOA brought them to court and that is how long it took to get something to happen).

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2007 at 01:50 AM..

Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
At some level the folks who think global warming is not real are just being ostriches, and afraid to admit a change in the way we use resources is in order (that could mean many things, not just conservation):

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic ice 'disappearing quickly'

Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I was thinking the same thing...

HOA- so... you're the VP of the USA? big woop, no solar panels for you!!

al- aww, come on guys, I'm al gore, I'm cereal guys, come on...

HOA- No AL!! no solar panels for you!! now you go home, we no want you here!!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Who's idea was it that 96 degrees was the optimal temperature of the earth anyways?

Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

478 posts, read 959,403 times
Default And this story today...

Environmentalists win White House suit

By TERENCE CHEA, Associated Press Writer Wed Aug 22, 7:49 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge ordered the Bush administration to issue two scientific reports on global warming, siding with environmentalists who sued the White House for failing to produce the documents.

U.S. District Court Judge Saundra Armstrong ruled Tuesday that the Bush administration had violated a 1990 law when it failed to meet deadlines for an updated U.S. climate change research plan and impact assessment.

FULL ARTICLE here: Environmentalists win White House suit - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Bush Admin violating laws and withholding information.... wow, there's a shocker!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
It is embarassing our government has to be led kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
At some level the folks who think global warming is not real are just being ostriches, and afraid to admit a change in the way we use resources is in order (that could mean many things, not just conservation)...
Yup. There's a very loud minority of journalists and pundits trying to confuse people about the scientific consensus, but if you focus on reputable science journals you won't see much debate about whether there is anthropogenic global warming.

On the other hand, it's foolish to think that we know how to solve the problem. There are too many people on the planet. Everything we do is magnified by 6 billion (and counting) --- so I'm very skeptical about any attempts to intervene other than consuming less and preserving more ecosystems. The most idiotic thing, IMHO, is to leap into new technologies because it's a no-brainer that we'll discover, in 20 years, that "the cure is worse than the disease." This is why I don't support the Al Gore School of Global Warming Theory. Are we warming the atmosphere? Yes, 99.9% certainty about that. Do we know what to do about it? No.

And every change gives rise to winners and losers. Global warming is good news for many species in many environments, just as it's bad news for others. As a climate expert told me (at a presentation on the melting of the West Antarctic Peninsula), the only advice he has is "don't buy property by the beach." Seems reasonable to me. The rest of it is all fluff --- biofuels, batteries, these things are all environmental hazards in their own ways, and it's goofy to get self-righteous about using "green technologies" when we know that there's nothing green about any carbon-based fuel or battery. They're just status symbols for Hollywood stars.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
Environmentalists win White House suit

By TERENCE CHEA, Associated Press Writer Wed Aug 22, 7:49 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge ordered the Bush administration to issue two scientific reports on global warming, siding with environmentalists who sued the White House for failing to produce the documents.

U.S. District Court Judge Saundra Armstrong ruled Tuesday that the Bush administration had violated a 1990 law when it failed to meet deadlines for an updated U.S. climate change research plan and impact assessment.

FULL ARTICLE here: Environmentalists win White House suit - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Bush Admin violating laws and withholding information.... wow, there's a shocker!
1990- Sad....not to mention we have no protection from poison and Chinese contaminated food, for pets and humans alike!- thanks Bush.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM

478 posts, read 959,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
It is embarassing our government has to be led kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Yep, them and a huge segment of idiot America.

Who knows, after the next trip to the market - if they see the sign, maybe some of our cretin countrymen will make the journey into the 21st century.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies