Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think in the end even clean coal will for decades be a better cost choice than mnay alterntives especailly in being able to be afforded by a majority. But for now crude and natural gas are going to rule;like it or not.
But there is no such thing as clean coal. If you are talking about carbon capture technology, we do not have it. Even if you were successful in pumping copious amounts of CO2 into the earth, there is no way to guarantee it will not escape and kill a lake, plant life or people.

There are some experimental clean coal power plants but they have not proven to work very well at all, not as a way to replace current coal power plants anyway.

As has already been said, all we have for main power sources of electricity is nuclear and CNG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:02 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well then I suggest we do what China is doing and fast track mega projects to start building 35-40 brand new Gen IV Nuclear Power plants, 55-60 new Hydro Power Projects and 80-100 Brand new Natural gas fired Power Plants and new Power Lines, Power Transfer Stations and other infastructure ASAP
that is the problem, Obama is destroying our electrical generation capacity, and he is not doing anything to fast track replacement power plants.

I could post numerous accounts of coal power plants that are closing, all because of 0bama's draconian EPA regs. Sooner then later we will have severe energy problems and skyrocketing electricity rates, and it's all apart of 0bama's insane ideology. He is an ignorant, ideologue and a fool.

BTW, the more wind energy we put onto the electrical grid, the more erratic and unmanageable it will become.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
that is the problem, Obama is destroying our electrical generation capacity, and he is not doing anything to fast track replacement power plants.

I could post numerous accounts of coal power plants that are closing, all because of 0bama's draconian EPA regs. Sooner then later we will have severe energy problems and skyrocketing electricity rates, and it's all apart of 0bama's insane ideology. He is an ignorant, ideologue and a fool.

BTW, the more wind energy we put onto the electrical grid, the more erratic and unmanageable it will become.
Too late, it's already here.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:00 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Funny that the right insisted on cutting heating vouchers just a few Months ago as part of the debt ceiling negotiatons and here you are blaming Dems.

Is it dishonesty or stupidity?

Obama budget to propose cuts in heat subsidies for the poor - Feb. 11, 2011

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Quote:
Even if you were successful in pumping copious amounts of CO2 into the earth, there is no way to guarantee it will not escape and kill a lake, plant life or people.
Last time I heard CO2 is what plants use to 'breathe'. Loss of oxygen in lakes was due to other processes not manmade. And I haven't heard of one human death from CO2, barring an accident or intentional stupid tricks by some, and even then that's pretty uncommon.

I may be wrong......but I'm just sayin'...

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I wonder who the left will try and blame for this? Bush? Evil bankers? Tea party? Or will you be racist if your not for shutting down coal and raising the rates of folks who can't afford it in this "green" push to insanity? I guess when folks start dying this winter because they can't afford their heat it will be the evil corporations fault. Protest!!!

Welcome to North Korea folks.

"For instance, close to three million customers in parts of Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia that get their electricity from American Electric Power have seen their rates increase between 48 and 88 percent over the last few years. Those rates are expected to rise an additional 10 to 35 percent in the next three years. The reason? AEP officials are quick to blame environmental regulations that they say are going to cost the company $8 billion in compliance and upgrades."

AEP, which operates in 11 states, says it is raising rates because it needs the cash to upgrade its infrastructure. The company plans to retire five coal plants—which amount to 6,000 megawatts of generation— and build at least two natural gas plants by the end of this decade."

Americans Face Double-Digit Hikes in Electricity Bills to Fund Upgrades - The Daily Beast
Obama is a crazy wacko enviromentalist just like those running around in the streets burnning cars!! he would rather see people paying 7to 8 dollars a gollon of gas then to see American people working in a coal mine!!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:

Coal has a big downside to the environment, air polution, mercury, byproducts. Renewable energy isn't close to replacing oil, NG, coal but that's the direction we need to head with investment for the future. There should have been a greater effort decades ago when we had gas lines in the 1980's. Nuclear, solar, geothermal, wind, biofuels (algae, etc) is the future.

Anyone who actually believes that the present system is sustainable is kidding themselves.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
In the end the probelem really is that Obama has nothing to replace the coal energy with promises and dreams of promises> Democrats ruined nucl;ear and its goig nowhere really at any fast rate. Solar and wind are goig bankrput . Ethnol is being phased out by his spending .Picken's long ago said natural gas and crude would be here for 50 years at elast. That time table is still good.Alternatives with out deficit is dead for dacades even in research dollars.Now Obama is trying to rerpalce Picken's but is failing miserably. Certainly no oinvestor will follow him and he doesn't have the dollars to pay them off to follow now.Might want to look at the latest news on coal research from China.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Don't worry if you can't afford heating next winter and get sick..you got Obamacare to cover those medical bills now.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama will be the ruin of this nation.
At least he is making good on his promise to bankrupt any company that builds a coal plant. And "Under my plan, electricity bills will necessarily skyrocket."

Too bad the green jobs fairy hasn't shown up as promised, to give us money with which to pay Obama-level utility and gas costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies