Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But THEY have to have more money to carry out their plans. It gets worse and worse and the Dems are making all that noise about the Senate not being able to vote on the new Jobs Bill when they can't get enough Dems to go along with the RINOs to pass it. Those people know that if they manage to vote for that abomination they will not be returned to office next fall. Well, some of them are beginning to understand it all.

Perhaps leading us into a low-wage economy is the conservative way to force government to reduce spending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Why did $1.75/hr in 1970 buy more than $7.50/hr in 2011?
Capitalism?
Greedy employers?
Nope.
It was the government.
GOVERNMENT imposes higher taxes, inflation, devaluation of the current monies, and adds a bureaucratic burden on top of that. No higher minimum wage can remedy that situation.

All the protests in the world cannot change that fact.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Who knows, it could even get to the point where they earn enough to have an income tax bill.

Not really necessary, a national sales tax will force the poor to pay up whether or not they owe income tax.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Has anybody seen the NAFTA? Something that long is not a ''free-trade'' agreement. A true free-trade agreement can be written on a napkin.

Where's Arthur Laffer when we need him?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I'm trying to understand their thinking process but I'm completely lost.

Hint: If the average American in the private sector had higher wages, they wouldn't need welfare!.
Please explain how th republican have driven down wages?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ok, I give.. How do Republicans drive down wages? What utter nonsense of a thread...

I thought Herman Cain was the king of low-wage jobs. Next to Ray Kroc at least.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I do not now if Republicans or Democrats drove it down but they have gone down it has not keep up with inflation in the 1950s the Min Wage had a lot more buying power. In 1997 the min wage was $5.15 in 14 years it has only gone up $2.10. I am sure business owners will continue to complain that the 2.10 extra is some how killing them as they take home more and more profits.

Now this is interesting. The minimum wage has not kept up with inflation, yet I keep hearing complaints that the minimum wage makes business uncompetitive and reduces employment.

But if the minimum wage lags behind inflation, shouldn't more and more minimum wage jobs be created?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Plutocracy demands a dependent population. If middle class rose and income differential shrunk, they feel threatened by the rise of "communism".

Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:

Hint: If the average American in the private sector had higher wages, they wouldn't need welfare!.

Some in the Republican Party are rich business owners, and the Republican Party represents these people well. But some of us are not rich and do not own businesses: we are professional working class. If we work hard and advance, we will pay massive income taxes. For this reason we tend to support the Republicans, since we are well aware that the Democrats will tax us even more than the Repub leaders do. And with taxes our #1 cost, it makes all the difference in the world as to whether we end up rich or poor after a lifetime of work.

If the Democrats represented the working class at all, we would support them--but they support the "needy," the non-productive, and the lowest class. These groups have almost infinite needs, and the Democrats know that they can only tax the productive working class to pay for it all. The rich will NEVER be significantly taxed--they make the rules.

So the most powerful people in the Republican Party, the rich business owners, decide what policies they want to advance. And they definitely want want wages cut. The second group, the one my family belongs to, does not want wages cut. We strongly support higher wages and are 100% against the Free Trade idiocy that gutted the value of labor. Unfortunately, although we pay the most taxes of all, we have almost no say in the Republican Party, since the rich have all the power.

I would dearly love a political party that represents the Middle Class, and I strongly support the Libertarian Movement and hope it rises to rival the unified Republicrat Party. Unfortunately, with the Republican Party and the Democrat Party working in unison to prevent any 3rd Party from rising, it will be very difficult. Hopefully it will become more and more apparent that both these parties are actually identical, that both do exactly the same thing when in power, and that both have conspired to destroy our economy and our nation.

Either the Libertarians gain enough power to overthrow the corrupt Republicrat Establishment, or we'll be looking for a new name for the Third World Nation that occupies what used to be America.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

You are making false assumptions with no facts to back it up.

Are you suggesting people be paid more than what the work they do is worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies