Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the Apple Computers were donated to schools across the country and suddenly every child.....even those who could never afford their own personal computer....became computer literate.......and loved going to school on the days that their class had their turn in the Apple Orchard." As an educator I both feared and loved the change that I could see coming. And all these years later I love and fear the results of those changes. Steve Jobs helped introduce a generation to the brave new world in which we live.
Yeah, Lexus Nexus did that at my law school - pretty sneaky, like I said, Jobs was an astute businessman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
True, I like stirring **** up. But, the fact remains that even as the granola crusties rebel on Wall Street, they have orgasms over Steve Jobs and Apple.....whose market value makes it among the richest in America. Now how exactly does that square with the anti-business ideology being waged in America right now by the Left?

It doesn't. It's hypocrisy.
You're once again assuming that the Wall Street protests are supported by everyone on here that is making a comment on Jobs' death. Oh right, we're all just "granola crusties".

Not everyone is lionizing Steve Jobs on here, there's those making the point that he was just in the right place at the right time in terms of marketing efforts or was just a clever businessman. But for some of us, we're just taking a second to remember someone who was an innovator in their field nonetheless.

So what if I felt a little sad when I heard Jobs died--maybe in part due to some nostalgia of remembering my dad bringing home a Macintosh when I was a kid in the mid-80s or messing around with the old Apple IIe in grade school. Why does it have to be turned into another "liberals will feel my wrath" thread because some guy in DC thinks all of us hate corporations?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I admire the man for his brilliant mind and what he did to change our way of life, he wasn't
part of any damn corporation when he did that.
So you want to own the young Steve Jobs who invented the pc but shun the middle aged Steve Jobs who made Apple the company it is today?

Jobs was a 1 percent-er. He was worth over 8 billion dollars and as such was a pariah to the modern left. But hey at least now they get their dream of spreading the wealth. I'm sure his estate taxes will go quite a ways.

sent from my IPhone.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Jobs did what I thought was impossible... he made Apple into a successful corporation... he deserves congrats for that...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
I can almost hear Michelle Bachman now "Barack Obama is taxing billionaires to death"

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,190,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So you want to own the young Steve Jobs who invented the pc<snip>
Steve Jobs didn't invent the PC, Bill Gates did.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Amazing man - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
R.I.P. Jobs

The I.Q. of the world just dropped a bit without him here.
Read his Stanford 2005 commencement address -
"Death is a destination we all share"

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Steve Jobs didn't invent the PC, Bill Gates did.

No, actually, that would be Konrad Zuse or Pascal if you want to get technical.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
As you wish... But I have to tell you, if you could rise above this just for a minute and put things into perspective, you'd see that you never had nor ever will have the power to "hold me accountable" for anything - or anyone else for that matter. Life is short. If you want, you can go down with the ship repeating the same tirades and pretending to "hold me accountable" for something in your mind...but it won't matter. And honestly, that's a rather sad thing, and it makes me feel a bit sad for you.
You can feel sad for me. I don't mind a bit. But it doesn't change the fact that this is a political forum, and if you trend left, you should be expected to be held accountable for your views, just as I should expect to be held for my conservative views. Why does that scare you so much? Feeling "sad" for someone has no useful purpose. Besides, it has no effect on me how you feel. So, Perhaps you should avoid the politics forum?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You can feel sad for me. I don't mind a bit. But it doesn't change the fact that this is a political forum, and if you trend left, you should be expected to be held accountable for your views, just as I should expect to be held for my conservative views. Why does that scare you so much? Feeling "sad" for someone has no useful purpose. Besides, it has no effect on me how you feel. So, Perhaps you should avoid the politics forum?
Your penchant of "holding people accountable" serves no useful purpose either, except perhaps to show folks how the right can be truly clueless.
You could be the poster boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies