Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Right. Like the Constitution saying we have a right to guns

It doesn't talk about States or local governments specifically......therefore my State should be able to outlaw guns.
Your state can do just that now, but maybe after Obama does away with the Bill of Rights they won't be able to. Maybe you should get a movement started to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The Muslims may be overzealous about this, but they actually make sense in regulating the display of their iconography.

Many people, including many Jews, think the Star of David is the symbol of the Jewish religion. It is not.

The 7-branch Temple Menorah (not to be confused with the 8-branch Chanukah Menorah) is the religious symbol of the Jewish faith, but Jewish law prevents its public display in the same manner as Christians display the Cross, the religious symbol of the Christian faith.

It is at times of public display that the 6-pointed Magen Duveed (Star of David), the ensign of the House of David and the secular symbol of the Jewish people, is substituted for the 7-Branch Temple Menorah. This is confusing, and even many Jews think that the Star of David is a religious symbol, which it is not.

Additionally, you may find it interesting to know that it's a great surprise to many that G. Washington and the other founding fathers (mostly Free Masons, I've been told) included the Magen Duveed (Star of David), the secular symbol of the Jewish people, on the Great Seal of the United States. You can readily see it by looking directly above the Eagle on the reverse of the one-dollar bill (it's in the stars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Of course not. During the centuries, those who opposed or questioned christianity were put to death. Stay happy.
How long have you atheist buggers been trying and not getting killed?

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No; but, it might be offensive to others of a different faith who consider the Christian Cross idolatry.
Why is it atheists target Christians and the symbols associated with Christianity? You never hear of atheists suing Muslims for gathering ANY place to kneel for their prayer services. Why do atheists not target religions other than Christianity?

Wonder what atheists would say if a statue of Buddah were placed on a courthouse lawn? What if Muslim prayer rugs were stacked in the corner of a courthouse? I dare say that atheists would squawk as loudly as they do about Christianity.

Atheists like Madelyn O'hare only wanted noteriety and profit from their little tantrums. In my opinion, it's a power thing with atheists,...."look what I did"!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that the people there could very easily think about the same way about blankity-blank where you live?
Where I live isn't very far from Tennessee and is similar in religious fever. But I've only got 18 more months before I can finally depart this craphole religious state.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Where I live isn't very far from Tennessee and is similar in religious fever. But I've only got 18 more months before I can finally depart this craphole religious state.
.......I'll bet the state can get rid of the smell in due time....

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Many people, including many Jews, think the Star of David is the symbol of the Jewish religion. It is not.

The 7-branch Temple Menorah (not to be confused with the 8-branch Chanukah Menorah) is the religious symbol of the Jewish faith, but Jewish law prevents its public display in the same manner as Christians display the Cross, the religious symbol of the Christian faith.

It is at times of public display that the 6-pointed Magen Duveed (Star of David), the ensign of the House of David and the secular symbol of the Jewish people, is substituted for the 7-Branch Temple Menorah. This is confusing, and even many Jews think that the Star of David is a religious symbol, which it is not.

Additionally, you may find it interesting to know that it's a great surprise to many that G. Washington and the other founding fathers (mostly Free Masons, I've been told) included the Magen Duveed (Star of David), the secular symbol of the Jewish people, on the Great Seal of the United States. You can readily see it by looking directly above the Eagle on the reverse of the one-dollar bill (it's in the stars).
You have to watch out for those Free Masons, I have been told. I was one once and my oldest son still is and in fact a past Master of his local lodge. He really bristles up when he sees ignorant people bad mouthing his group.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Why is it atheists target Christians and the symbols associated with Christianity? You never hear of atheists suing Muslims for gathering ANY place to kneel for their prayer services. Why do atheists not target religions other than Christianity?

Wonder what atheists would say if a statue of Buddah were placed on a courthouse lawn? What if Muslim prayer rugs were stacked in the corner of a courthouse? I dare say that atheists would squawk as loudly as they do about Christianity.

Atheists like Madelyn O'hare only wanted noteriety and profit from their little tantrums. In my opinion, it's a power thing with atheists,...."look what I did"!!!
Hey, Sol, did you ever hear the story about Madalyn Murray O'Hair being given some land close to Stockton, Ks. She started work on a school for good little atheists and the people of the community told her to back off. Her school was to be on the north side of a highway and some of the locals started work on a pig feed lot just across the road. How many days do we have wind that isn't in the south. She tried to fight it but the courts said that people can put things like that anywhere they want to just like here school. She went back to Texas pretty soon after that court case. Most atheists don't seem to have heard that one.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Are you in jail? Why can't you leave now? I'll bet there are those who would be glad to help you get out.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How long have you atheist buggers been trying and not getting killed?
Atheists have been trying for martyrdom for years without success. I supposte they are just too irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies