U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,100,324 times
Reputation: 12105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How about how Obama thinks it's okay to assassinate US citizens?

Doesn't that sound a bit like what Nazi Germany did?
No. Unless you want to play the card that Al-Awlaki was no different than the victims of Nazi Germany (the Jews, the Commies, the Gays, the "Illegal" Immigrants" etc). Would you like to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,649,044 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No. Unless you want to play the card that Al-Awlaki was no different than the victims of Nazi Germany (the Jews, the Commies, the Gays, the "Illegal" Immigrants" etc). Would you like to?
How about I play this card:
Secret panel can put Americans on "kill list' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/secret-panel-put-americans-kill-list-041603267.html - broken link)

"They accuse Obama of hypocrisy, noting his administration insisted on publishing Bush-era administration legal memos justifying the use of interrogation techniques many equate with torture, but refused to make public its rationale for killing a citizen without due process."

This is executive power that is out of control. That's the comparison to Hitler. Whether you like it or not-- the fact that Obama can order US citizens be executed is very similar to dictatorships. This is just fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,100,324 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How about I play this card:
Secret panel can put Americans on "kill list' - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/secret-panel-put-americans-kill-list-041603267.html - broken link)

"They accuse Obama of hypocrisy, noting his administration insisted on publishing Bush-era administration legal memos justifying the use of interrogation techniques many equate with torture, but refused to make public its rationale for killing a citizen without due process."
Good to see you backing off equating Nazi victims to Awlaki. So, we're onto a new one. Would you have preferred an "oops" or a "friendly fire" cover for assassination? After all, the effect would be same, no procedural non-sense that people are getting their panties twisted for.

Do you think a person who hires a hit man to kill someone is innocent and deserves to be defended? Do you believe Al-Awlaki is comparable to the Jews murdered by the Nazi? Do you believe he was an enemy to his nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,237 posts, read 13,384,719 times
Reputation: 5915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post

I guess you mean "drivel"?
drivel - dribble all the same stupidity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,649,044 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Good to see you backing off equating Nazi victims to Awlaki. So, we're onto a new one. Would you have preferred an "oops" or a "friendly fire" cover for assassination? After all, the effect would be same, no procedural non-sense that people are getting their panties twisted for.

Do you think a person who hires a hit man to kill someone is innocent and deserves to be defended?
What gives Obama the right to pick who lives and who dies? THAT is definitely against the constitution and he could (and should IMO) be impeached for it.

He is abusing his powers at the executive branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,100,324 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
What gives Obama the right to pick who lives and who dies? THAT is definitely against the constitution and he could (and should IMO) be impeached for it.

He is abusing his powers at the executive branch.
How so? One can abuse the power by simply dropping a bomb and saying "oops". Besides, in a country that is among the leader in Death Penalty, the challenge to the constitutionality of people being put to death hasn't really worked, has it?

Obama took office with this country at war, with targets defined. You may believe that Awlaki was as innocent as the Jews who were murdered by Nazis for no apparent reason (after all, you're desperately trying to equate Obama with Hitler). But, Awlaki had a choice. He could have easily challenged the government of his country, to exercise his rights as a citizen. Instead, he had you all to do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,480 posts, read 4,379,001 times
Reputation: 1418
It is my official policy to not take seriously anyone who compares someone they don't like to Hitler or anyone who refers to Fox News as a source for facts. Here's some reading material for you.

Reductio ad Hitlerum, also argumentum ad Hitlerum, (Latin for "reduction to" and "argument to" and dog Latin for "Hitler" respectively) is an ad hominem or ad misericordiam argument whereby an opponent's view is compared to a view that would be held by Adolf Hitler or the Nazi Party. It is a fallacy of irrelevance, in which a conclusion is suggested based solely on something or someone's origin rather than its current meaning or context. The suggested logic is one of guilt by association, a classic confusion of correlation and causality, as if to say that anything that Adolf Hitler did, no one else should do, for it will obviously or eventually lead to genocide.

Reductio ad Hitlerum is no more than guilt by association, a form of association fallacy.[1][2] The fallacy claims that a policy leads to—or is the same as—one advocated or implemented by Adolf Hitler or the Third Reich, and so "proves" that the original policy is undesirable. For example: "Hitler was a vegetarian, so vegetarianism is wrong [because the things Hitler did were wrong, or because it could lead to results ideologically or morally aligned with Hitler]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,710,798 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How about how Obama thinks it's okay to assassinate US citizens?

Doesn't that sound a bit like what Nazi Germany did?
So based upon your previous comment, I assume you support Anwar Al-Awlaki and everything he stands for. Sheesh. What do you think should have been done? Really? Do you think he was not a threat to the Lives of Americans in this country? Do you think he would have come quietly if we went and tried to arrest him? Who would his arresting officers be? The Seal Six team? I pretty sure they don't arrest people. No, really what would you have done? Let him be while he recruits people to come over here to try to kill US. Citizens? Really? My God, you people can't really think like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,649,044 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How so? One can abuse the power by simply dropping a bomb and saying "oops". Besides, in a country that is among the leader in Death Penalty, the challenge to the constitutionality of people being put to death hasn't really worked, has it?

Obama took office with this country at war, with targets defined. You may believe that Awlaki was as innocent as the Jews who were murdered by Nazis for no apparent reason (after all, you're desperately trying to equate Obama with Hitler). But, Awlaki had a choice. He could have easily challenged the government of his country, to exercise his rights as a citizen. Instead, he had you all to do the job.
Your argument doesn't hold water as the place for constitutionality to be challenged is in the supreme court, and most of the death penalty cases end up there. Thus their deaths are perfectly constitutional.

My problem isn't with a scumbag being killed, my problem is with Obama abusing his executive powers. It is the same problem I had with Bush abusing his executive powers. This sets a very dangerous precedent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,649,044 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So based upon your previous comment, I assume you support Anwar Al-Awlaki and everything he stands for. Sheesh. What do you think should have been done? Really? Do you think he was not a threat to the Lives of Americans in this country? Do you think he would have come quietly if we went and tried to arrest him? Who would his arresting officers be? The Seal Six team? I pretty sure they don't arrest people. No, really what would you have done? Let him be while he recruits people to come over here to try to kill US. Citizens? Really? My God, you people can't really think like this.
Way to take my comments way out of context.

I didn't ever say I supported that scumbag. Try again. Listen-- it is about the abuse of executive power.

It is NOT OKAY in America to PICK AND CHOOSE when to follow the constitution. You must think it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top