U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 AM

21,070 posts, read 15,263,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
from keynesian bob.......

and his opinion means what?????
As much as anyone else's?

Well, maybe a little more since I happen to agree with it
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM

32,624 posts, read 17,699,140 times
Default fyi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Reads like something Baghdad Bob would have put together for Saddam's regime.

Bartlett is a Republican.

Bruce Bartlett (b. October 11, 1951, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) is an American historian who turned to writing about supply-side economics. He was a domestic policy adviser to President Ronald Reagan and was a Treasury official under President George H.W. Bush.

In 1976, Bartlett changed careers, going to work for U.S. Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas). Bartlett spent much of his time working with the House Banking Committee, of which Paul was a member, which involved Bartlett in economic issues. Paul was defeated for reelection in November, 1976.
In January 1977, Bartlett went to work for U.S. Congressman Jack Kemp (R-New York) as staff economist. Bartlett spent much of his time on tax issues, helping to draft the Kemp-Roth tax bill, which ultimately formed the basis of Ronald Reagan's 1981 tax cut. Bartlett's book, "Reaganomics: Supply-Side Economics in Action" appeared in 1981 (New Rochelle, NY: Arlington House Publishers). He also co-edited the book The Supply-Side Solution (Chatham, NJ: Chatham House Publishers, 1983).
In 1978, Bartlett went to work for Perry Duryea, who was the Republican candidate for governor of New York. In November 1978, Duryea was defeated and Bartlett returned to Washington, where he joined the staff of newly elected Senator Roger Jepsen (R-Iowa).
In 1981, Jepsen became Vice Chairman of the Joint Economic Committee of Congress and Bartlett became deputy director of the committee staff. In 1983, Jepsen became chairman and Bartlett became executive director of the JEC. During this period, the committee was very active in promoting Ronald Reagan's economic policies.
In late 1984, Bartlett became vice president of Polyconomics, a New Jersey-based consulting company founded by Jude Wanniski, a former Wall Street Journal editorial writer, that advised Wall Street clients on economic and investment policy. Bartlett left in 1985 to become a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, where he specialized in tax policy and was especially involved in the debate around the Tax Reform Act of 1986.
In 1987, Bartlett became a senior policy analyst in the White House Office of Policy Development, then headed by Gary Bauer. In 1988, Bartlett left to become deputy assistant secretary for economic policy at the Treasury Department, where he served until the end of the administration of George H.W. Bush. He worked briefly at the Cato Institute in 1993.

Bruce Bartlett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,661,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Whenever I hear repubs talking about the number of jobs lost to regulation, I always wonder what would happen to the jobs of folks whose employment is related to complying with those regulations.

Those jobs don't contribute a company's #1 goal which is to make a profit. Those jobs are an EXPENSE to the company and divert money and resources that should be going toward expansion and the core business.

The greatest expense that is stifling business is the burden of complying with Sarbanes/Oxley.

Last edited by LetsRock; 10-07-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Location: 22 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
23,293 posts, read 13,031,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Bartlett is a Republican.

nope,,,not a 'republican' ......an independant (by YOUR wiki link) who went kenesian, meaning leans left

sorry but it has been proven many many times kenesian policies dont work

Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,146,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I'f the right is concerned about job-killing regulation, they could start by overthrowing the draconian strip club regulations they put in effect in Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky and various municipalities around the country.

Or Utah could vote to tear down the Zion walls in bar/restaurants.

Think of all the jobs lost to conservative regulation!
Damn right!

I believe in deregulation. I want to see both liberal and conservative regulation go for both economic and civil libertarian reasons.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM

20,009 posts, read 15,190,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Well, maybe a little more to me since I happen to agree with it
Glad I could help.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM

21,070 posts, read 15,263,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Glad I could help.

Thanks for the bump

Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM

20,009 posts, read 15,190,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thanks for the bump
I heart bumping dumba** opinion threads with no scholarly content.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:25 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,604,264 times
Bartlett is a smart guy but revels in going contrarian against both parties. I read his book 'Imposter' about W Bush, which got him fired from a sweet gig at (IIRC) AEI. Now it seems he's making a living by being the conservative Reaganite whom liberals love to quote.

Maybe he has somewhat of a point that regulation is not responsible for current unemployment woes. After all the doubling of unemployment after 2008 obviously did not occur because we doubled regulation. In a perfect world we would argue for deregulations on its own merits. But people will always use issues to push a pre-existing agenda. That's just human nature. Wasn't it one of Obama's people who said 'never let a crisis go to waste?'

Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,825,099 times
It's interesting that when confronted with actual evidence and competent analysis, the right wingers resort to personal attacks and character assassination. Evidence means nothing. Analysis means nothing. Science and education-- nothing.

It's all about "faith." If your belief system is based on faith-- as I believe that many right-wingers is-- no amount of science, analysis or eduction is going to change your mind. You believe in the dogma and that's it.

It becomes perilous to defend those faith-based beliefs however... so they resort to ad hominim attacks. Predictable cycle.

An no, Eric Cantor can't be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies