U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

28,995 posts, read 15,572,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Quote:
She is right, we are a nation of immigrants...and unless you are native American you wouldn't be here if the nation barred its doors to immigrants.
Correct. She got that right. 99% of us are descendents from immigrants. Even the top 1%.

Quote:
She is partially right about student loans as Direct Stafford loans, the most often used student loans, are held by banks (subsidized have interest paid by the government while you are in school). There are no small banks in the option list. I know because I have used it, mine was held by Wells Fargo. If you don't know anything about a subject, it's best not to display your ignorance.
If you don't like the banks, don't get a loan. It really is that simple. Millions of students got through college without a loan. Millions more paid off their loans.

We really need to get government out of the school loan business.

Quote:
Do you know what food prices will be a year from now? If so, why aren't you playing the futures market instead of typing away here? Like everyone, besides some hucksters and schizophrenics that pretend, she does not know the future.
Nobody knows what food prices will be in the future, but today they are DIRT CHEAP! If this lazy kid would get off her butt and cook a meal rather than eating at McDonalds, she would find out.

Quote:
Don't you hate the government providing people money Roy? I thought you would agree with her sign.
Yes, giving lazy losers like this woman money is a totally wasted effort. I agree we should do away with government subsidized student loans.

Quote:
Even for you Roy, this thread is more comedy then anything informative.
Yes, the entire occupy wall street event is a comedy. These people are mostly spoiled brats who think the world owes them something. They need to quit looking for government and hard working tax payers to foot the bill for their failures.

Last edited by Roadking2003; 10-07-2011 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,502,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Her sign calls for the death of student loans. If you only read what it says that is all there is.
She also spoke on it, but I know it's really hard to watch the video you posted as the start of your thread.

Quote:
You called out that I work in a bank and talk quite often with the CEO of that small rural bank. He says they do loan to students just as they did years ago so I take him at his word. He only has seven kids and the first one just went to college this year. She is on a volleyball scholarship and the one that gets out of school this year will go to college on a track and field scholarship. Other than this money he is paying the costs and I can guarantee you that the sports don't pay like they do for males in football and basketball.
People use lots of different things to fund going to college. You don't take every home equity line of credit, credit card, loans from family, personal loans, and more and say they qualify as federal student loans because they were used to fund tuition. It's very easy to look up Stafford loans and see how many small banks participate, compared to a single vague conversation you said you had.

Quote:
I work because I just can't spend all day, every day, sitting on my butt doing what we are doing here. I don't need the money but they haven't found anybody who would show up every evening and weekend to do the job. I am working my son in there so he can do the bank part time. He is a good worker and learned from his parents that if you have a job you go to work every day, sick or well.
Yeah, when I'm 80 I will be keeping busy mucking toilets....right.

I certainly would want better for my son then to be doing a low skill, badly paying job on a part time basis.

Quote:
I am not sure you know the subject of student loans as thoroughly as you think you do, but then . . . . . . .
Yes, I know less because I can look it up online (you can too) and actually went through the program compared to a single vague conversation where some one said they make loans to students.

You must have had more then one conversation at the bank. Since a single vague conversation on a subject makes you more knowledgeable then spending time learning and doing things for years....shouldn't you be knowledgeable enough to run the place by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies