U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,698,130 times
Reputation: 7449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Newman0 View Post
Shut up. How dare you tell me what I can put in my body. Pot is more natural that cigs and booze. If it was legal there would be no killings in Mexico. This is what happens when the Government gets involved and makes stupid laws.

Pot does not lead to other drugs. Pot is not addictive, please grow up and live your life however you want but don't impose your values on me.

B-B-But it will make you insane man! Seriously, though, good post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,976 posts, read 30,230,881 times
Reputation: 17773
What we've seen here locally is a huge spike in petty thefts like auto burglary. I never would have associated crime to people that get stoned. My hood had almost zero crime before the shop opened and even the SDPD published an article on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
 
443 posts, read 450,038 times
Reputation: 619
Obama is little Bush Jr. but less destructive. He is still just a politician in a suit that can't have the intergrity to stand up and just end wasteful policies such as this.

No, crime doesn't change. No matter what people will get drugs (and Marijuana is a plant, like a herb such as tea, not a serious drug) illegal or legal. If regulated you can get a substantial amount of tax money from them and lower my taxes from my paycheck. It doesn't matter how many studies are done, how many times the issue is told over and over about the cost benefits such as lower prison rates, etc. It will never change because somebody is making a profit from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,698,130 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Obama is little Bush Jr. but less destructive. He is still just a politician in a suit that can't have the intergrity to stand up and just end wasteful policies such as this.

No, crime doesn't change. No matter what people will get drugs (and Marijuana is a plant, like a herb such as tea, not a serious drug) illegal or legal. If regulated you can get a substantial amount of tax money from them and lower my taxes from my paycheck. It doesn't matter how many studies are done, how many times the issue is told over and over about the cost benefits such as lower prison rates, etc. It will never change because somebody is making a profit from it.

The war on drugs and prohibition of pot is big money! Ask LE, big pharma, and the paper industry. Those as well as other special interest groups stand to lose money by legalizing it. I say f*** 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
 
443 posts, read 450,038 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The war on drugs and prohibition of pot is big money! Ask LE, big pharma, and the paper industry. Those as well as other special interest groups stand to lose money by legalizing it. I say f*** 'em!
For society as a whole, it would be big money to legalize it. Tax it, regulate it, have more money to fix bridges and roads.

To keep it illegal, it is big money for the prison unions. They keep employed. So, this also becomes the democratic policy who are the ones keeping this from happening. Keeping the worlds highest prison rates is profit. I would rather see it taxed to fix bridges. The prison gaurds can just go work outside on bridges instead. It would be a win win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
 
49,180 posts, read 39,625,966 times
Reputation: 30782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Although I'm very disappointed in Obama for doing this, tell me which Republican candidate for President would have acted differently, other than Ron Paul?
They weren't cracking down on them during the past administration were they?

I'd rather vote for an other party (3rd party is always an option) than reward someone for not supporting my interests because I *think* the other guys would be worse.

You have started down the path of being milked for free. Consider voting 3rd party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
 
49,180 posts, read 39,625,966 times
Reputation: 30782
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The war on drugs and prohibition of pot is big money! Ask LE, big pharma, and the paper industry. Those as well as other special interest groups stand to lose money by legalizing it. I say f*** 'em!
Certainly one can make an argument for LE, prisons etc. but big pharma and the paper industry are benefitting from marijuana being illegal?

I'll have some of what he's smokin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,698,130 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
For society as a whole, it would be big money to legalize it. Tax it, regulate it, have more money to fix bridges and roads.

To keep it illegal, it is big money for the prison unions. They keep employed. So, this also becomes the democratic policy who are the ones keeping this from happening. Keeping the worlds highest prison rates is profit. I would rather see it taxed to fix bridges. The prison gaurds can just go work outside on bridges instead. It would be a win win.

I agree. I fully support ending the prohibition of marijuana! At this point there needs to be a grass roots movement, and tell the special interest groups once and for all to stick it where the sun don't shine! We all here about when there is a rally somewhere to legalize that the stereotypical stoners are the ones that show up, and that is where the cry for legalization loses credibility. We also hear about how there are a number of cops, lawyers, judges, doctors, politicians smoke weed as well. Isn't it about time that those in all walks of life who support legalization grow a pair, and stand up for their beliefs? The movement to legalize would gain more credibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,698,130 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Certainly one can make an argument for LE, prisons etc. but big pharma and the paper industry are benefitting from marijuana being illegal?

I'll have some of what he's smokin'.

Really? Because the paper industry is one of the major players in banning hemp in the first place! They knew hemp was a stronger fiber, made better paper, and has a better growing cycle. Think about it! Sure the paper industry replenishes the trees they cut down, however; in reality how long does it take for a tree to become mature enough to make paper? I'm guessing several years. With hemp it can be done in one growing season. It would save a lot of trees. They knew that they could not compete head to head with the hemp industry and lobbied like hell to get it banned, and based it on lies and BS! Plus don't forget the times back then when they started banning it. A lot of it was racial motives as well. I mean, we couldn't have minorities offering pot to our white women, and seducing them now could we? People bought it hook line and sinker!

Don't even need to explain about big pharma. They're making a killing selling all of their legal highly addictive synthetic crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 PM
 
1,096 posts, read 923,776 times
Reputation: 1678
Default An unbiased source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What we've seen here locally is a huge spike in petty thefts like auto burglary. I never would have associated crime to people that get stoned. My hood had almost zero crime before the shop opened and even the SDPD published an article on it.
Do you really think that a law enforcement group that takes money from the DEA as part of it's funding, is going to give you an unbiased report on crime and the causes for it?

This link is from LA done by the RAND Corporation. The Rand Corporation is known for it's well run studies and it's unbiased publishing of its results.

The study says among other things that when dispensories were closed down, crime went up in the immediate area, just the opposite of what the police say. With all due respect to you as a person, I'd rather trust an unbiased study done by a "think tank" than any law enforcement agency, or your personal impressions.

Rand study finds less crime near medical marijuana dispensaries - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top