U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 AM
 
15,870 posts, read 8,488,505 times
Reputation: 6295

Advertisements

I am thankful to be born in America where we are blessed with a mix of prosperity and freedom. I don't want handouts, as I know that would make me less self-sufficient and industrious. I teach history, my school pays less than others in the county even though we have the best test scores. I don't care though, it is my choice to stay here. I live within my means, budget and invest -- therefore no interest and I have more spending money than others that make more than me. Everyday I realize that I am blessed and am proud to be an American. I am the son of person born into poverty that worked his way up to making 100K a year. The harder you work the better odds you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM
 
15,870 posts, read 8,488,505 times
Reputation: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm glad people are making it, Nep. Far from not wanting to think they exist, I wish more of them did. The problem with America today is that there is no social safety net. Most Americans are one setback away from falling into the underclass for a very, very long time if not permanently. One job loss or major illness is all it takes. That's too close for comfort for me.
I actually agree with you that a national health care would be a noble idea, but you are wrong about there not being a social safety net. I know of 6 people personally that LIE to the government to get handout $$$. I'd argue that they are getting the choice to be lazier. The government even provides free cell phones to some now. We can debate the effectiveness of the social safety net, but not its existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,539,211 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I studied hard in school, went to a good college and didn't major in basket weaving. Then I got a entry level job, worked harder, got promoted, paid my bills, educated my kids at my cost, volunteered in my community and donated to charity. I didn't cheat on my taxes or pay my bills late. I've had financial ups and downs and have weathered them by cutting back, getting a 2nd job and cutting back some more. I've never defaulted on a mortgage or declared bankruptcy. I've taken care of myself via diet and exercise and have good health to show for it.

I'm not part of the 1% and never will be.

I'm part of the (insert whatever you think applicable) percent who is tired of the part of the 99% who feel entitled to everything while working for nothing.
Outstanding post that is exactly what i want my sign to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,058,624 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Swag, people get sick without health care much more often than you may think. My dad got cancer when he was 52. He was a self employed barber who couldn't afford health care. He put off going to the doctor because he didn't want to spend the $100. In hindsight, that was foolish, but at the time, I can see how he rationalized not going to the doctor just because he was constipated. What are the odds that it would be serious? It was, and he died. Early detection probably would have saved his life.

My mom also was diagnosed with cancer. She was 51. She lived for nine more years. Her employer kept her on the books so she could continue to receive treatment. That was very nice of him, but I can't help but wonder what happens to all of those Americans who don't have as charitable employers as my mom did. I don't think it's right or fair to anyone -- employer or employee -- to expect employers to take care of the health insurance of employees.

My sister, now dead, had diabetes. She was undiagnosed for ten years (it began when she was 16) because we didn't have health insurance. By the time she was diagnosed, it was very advanced. She died when she was 44.

We have a health care crisis in this country. The cost of care is bankrupting the country by driving up the cost of Medicare. It's also threatening our national security because so many defense dollars now goes toward Tricare. I don't think Obama's plan fixed it. It was a half measure, designed to protect the profits of health insurance companies. What was needed was a socialized plan that covers everyone. It would cost less money than we are paying now.
So are you seriously suggesting that just because your family has had a rough time, the majority of people face similar situations?

I feel for your situation, I really do. You are, however, in the minority.

We do have a health care crisis, and it is caused by excessive regulation. Lets deregulate the health care industry and allow some real competition to enter the market. Prices will not fall until insurance companies and health care providers can actually compete with each other for our business, and that cannot happen until the government gets its hand out of health care. Obama's plan will do nothing but drive down service levels and increase the net cost to our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,834,031 times
Reputation: 3917
"420...I don't smoke weed,that's my credit score"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,803,339 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I actually agree with you that a national health care would be a noble idea, but you are wrong about there not being a social safety net. I know of 6 people personally that LIE to the government to get handout $$$. I'd argue that they are getting the choice to be lazier. The government even provides free cell phones to some now. We can debate the effectiveness of the social safety net, but not its existence.
are social safety net is very weak compared to other industrialized countries around the world. and while there is some abuse (i don't know why you don't report the 6 people you know of, unless this is the typical anectdotal story where one assumes), for a large population the mechanisms in place help people correct misfortunes and get back on their feet.

as for the cell phones, the government always subsidized phones, it's just recently they realized it's 2012 and cell phones make more sense than landlines. It's nice to see the government adapt to the new century in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,024 posts, read 15,612,485 times
Reputation: 7763
"I was a sucker and made all of my mortgage payments on time"....... my sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Camberville
11,410 posts, read 16,066,854 times
Reputation: 18126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So are you seriously suggesting that just because your family has had a rough time, the majority of people face similar situations?

I feel for your situation, I really do. You are, however, in the minority.

We do have a health care crisis, and it is caused by excessive regulation. Lets deregulate the health care industry and allow some real competition to enter the market. Prices will not fall until insurance companies and health care providers can actually compete with each other for our business, and that cannot happen until the government gets its hand out of health care. Obama's plan will do nothing but drive down service levels and increase the net cost to our society.
The majority of people in the working class and middle class who face health crises? Absolutely.

You know my story. There was absolutely no social safety net for me because I was not destitute (despite not making enough money to pay my bills, not being able to take time off for work for treatment because I had to pay those bills, and not being in the workforce for long enough to have an emergency fund that could face down cancer). Right now, one of my lymph nodes that was affected is swollen. I can't go to my oncologist. Even if I could, I could not afford to pursue further treatment.

And that's the normal situation. I consider myself one of the lucky ones - and that's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 13,058,624 times
Reputation: 5443
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The majority of people in the working class and middle class who face health crises? Absolutely.

You know my story. There was absolutely no social safety net for me because I was not destitute (despite not making enough money to pay my bills, not being able to take time off for work for treatment because I had to pay those bills, and not being in the workforce for long enough to have an emergency fund that could face down cancer). Right now, one of my lymph nodes that was affected is swollen. I can't go to my oncologist. Even if I could, I could not afford to pursue further treatment.

And that's the normal situation. I consider myself one of the lucky ones - and that's sad.
And this is exactly why we need the government to get completely out of all aspects of health care. Regulation is preventing costs from being affordable for people like you to purchase the care you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
 
Location: North America
18,471 posts, read 11,690,489 times
Reputation: 7684
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am curious what c-d'ers signs would say... I'm still trying to come up with mine. (Mine would be humorous, obviously.. lol)

"I'm upset that they don't label GMO foods! Why are organics so expensive? I hate having to walk past stinky cigarette smoke in public places! My husbands farts stink! I have to pay co-pays when we go to the doctor! My kids schools expect parents to volunteer! I bought a red Volvo and now I want a blue one instead! When you're a SAHM people assume you're a lazy bastard, and I'm not! My tea has gone cold! I'm one of the 99% misdirecting my anger, and so are you!"

... something like that but it's a work in progress....

Mine would say...

Bite Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top