U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 15,762,468 times
Reputation: 3123

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Are you for real? Has he ever voted anything outside of what scalia has told him?
You need to read the New Yorker piece. You will realize you have the relationship 180 degrees wrong. Thomas is the influential majority voice on the bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:00 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I appreciate your view regarding this. But have you considered this in depth? Impeaching a Justice of the Supreme Court is a bit more than impeaching judges of any lower court, be that court federal, state or local. It is a political process, because our legislature is very political, that extends to Congress oversight over the workings of the Supreme Court. Which weakens the Supreme Court and the entire judiciary branch of our government. It impacts the balance of powers. The judiciary branch is already the weakest branch. Do you really want to weaken it more?

The Court will survive Thomas. He's not the decisive vote on the Court, no matter what conservative analysts want to say. He's arguably the most conservative Justice, and the decisive votes are the unpredictable Justices, the moderates.

The move to impeach Thomas is not a move made out of respect for the integrity for the Court. It's a very cynical and political move, to remove a conservative Justice while a more liberal President is in power, and to remove a conservative Justice while a very partisan, controversial piece of legislation is coming up for review.

If this were solely about the integrity of the Court, then there would be a recognition that the Court itself marginalizes Justices that are extreme in their positions. Just as in Rehnquist didn't assign majority opinions to Thomas, recognizing that Thomas took more extreme positions and wouldn't be able to persuade the other Justices to those opinions. The Court is a group of justices, a group of opinions, a group of differing interpretations of the Constitution. And it should be. Congressional oversight of the Court would dampen those differences. And that's not a good thing.
Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution allows for impeachment of all Federal Judges, not just district or Appeals Judges but also Supreme Court Justices.

I certainly would rather see a more liberal judge in his place, but that is not why I am calling for his removal. I can not speak for anyone else. I am not calling for any of the other conservative judges to be removed. I actually am a fan of Scalia's although, I do not view the constitution the same way that he views the constitution. He is an origionalist. His stance on issues are very predictable. Of all of the decisions that he has made, he has only broken with originalism one time. That is not the same for Thomas. He does not seem to follow any philosophy for interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 2,889,675 times
Reputation: 1948
No, he is not a puppet. However, we do HAVE a very powerful Puppet, and his name is Barack Hussein Obama. He probably has more than one puppet master since like any fine puppet, he has many strings attached to him. Soros, for sure is one of his puppetmasters, and I suspect Kissinger is, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
No, he is not a puppet. However, we do HAVE a very powerful Puppet, and his name is Barack Hussein Obama. He probably has more than one puppet master since like any fine puppet, he has many strings attached to him. Soros, for sure is one of his puppetmasters, and I suspect Kissinger is, also.
Another tale from the darkside. It is amazing how many misguided people actually listen to Beck and his rag the Blaze. They are easy to recognize...they go on and on about Soros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 38,470,229 times
Reputation: 7104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The violent langauge of this thread's title tells me all I need to know. I LOVE Clarence Thomas precisely because he makes the right heads pop like zits.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
People hate Clarance Thomas mostly because he's black and looks kind of like a large leprachaun.
Black AND conservative. That will earn the tolerant Left's hate each and every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM
 
39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times
Reputation: 12146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution allows for impeachment of all Federal Judges, not just district or Appeals Judges but also Supreme Court Justices.

I certainly would rather see a more liberal judge in his place, but that is not why I am calling for his removal. I can not speak for anyone else. I am not calling for any of the other conservative judges to be removed. I actually am a fan of Scalia's although, I do not view the constitution the same way that he views the constitution. He is an origionalist. His stance on issues are very predictable. Of all of the decisions that he has made, he has only broken with originalism one time. That is not the same for Thomas. He does not seem to follow any philosophy for interpretation.
I have nothing but respect for you and your views. I don't doubt that you are calling for Thomas's removal with the best of intentions. And you know how darn idealistic I can be about the Court. I'm no fan of Thomas's, and for the exact same reasons as you. It's just in this case, I do think that impeachment of Thomas is ill-considered, because it's a short-term solution to a short-term problem, but a short-term solution with a bigger, and not desirable effect. I don't want Congressional oversight of the Supreme Court. If that means putting up with a not-up-to-snuff Justice for a few more years, then I can live with that. His influence, no matter what conservatives say, is muted because of his extreme positions. He's a player on a team where moderation and negotiation are what carry the day, and he's good at neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Reputation: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have nothing but respect for you and your views. I don't doubt that you are calling for Thomas's removal with the best of intentions. And you know how darn idealistic I can be about the Court. I'm no fan of Thomas's, and for the exact same reasons as you. It's just in this case, I do think that impeachment of Thomas is ill-considered, because it's a short-term solution to a short-term problem, but a short-term solution with a bigger, and not desirable effect. I don't want Congressional oversight of the Supreme Court. If that means putting up with a not-up-to-snuff Justice for a few more years, then I can live with that. His influence, no matter what conservatives say, is muted because of his extreme positions. He's a player on a team where moderation and negotiation are what carry the day, and he's good at neither.
I appreciate your point. We don't want to get into a situation where people are impeached because of political ideology. I am in agreement with that. That would be a slippery slope. The fact is that he will not be impeached for this. However, if he is charged and convicted of a criminal charge, then I would say that it is more likely.

I don't know how much negotiations take place. I have actually talked to scalia once. He was giving a speech at my school and took questions from the audience. He said he never negotiated on any decision. His view was what is to negotiate, I interpret based on origionalism so there is only one answer for me. He said that my philosophy may not always be perfect, but it better than anything esle out there. I respect him for his consistancy, although I am a realist and not a Origionalist.

The most interesting thing that he told us was that the court decisions were unanimous most of the time, and that he and Ginsburg were best friends on the court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,099,690 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You need to read the New Yorker piece. You will realize you have the relationship 180 degrees wrong. Thomas is the influential majority voice on the bench.
But gets totally no respect from blacks, many whites and other minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,099,690 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That's what we're repeatedly told by all you libs, so it must be true, right??
If you are going to quote me, why don't you use the entire quote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 AM
 
7,901 posts, read 8,617,945 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
You only want him out of the way so you can get the illegal ObamaScam through.

There are 3 libs in this group that are anti American and need to be removed and you want to go after this one.

2 of the 3 looney tune libs use foreign law to make decisions for us.
I want him out of the way so we can place a competent jurist on the bench.

Competency > political leaning.

Your last sentence, BTW, demonstrates a shocking ignorance of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top