U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,576,329 times

Advertisements

Thank you for a great reply, Glitch. Gingrich appeared to hit the ground running in 94, but by 98 had gone way off track. In 1998 Kasich was concerned about the heath & welfare of the 94 revolution and proposed a budget plan that eliminated the Depts of commerce and of energy. It was roundly rejected by Gingrich & allies.
GOP agenda is withering away - Chicago Sun-Times | HighBeam Research

"They don't want to cut government," concluded a disheartened Kasich. IMO, Gingrich set the stage for the scenario we got from 2000-2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
What I think is missing from this discussion is that the President is supposed to be a LEADER. Barack Obama is not a leader in any sense of the word. So the question begs: Who of the current GOP crop of candidates can best LEAD this nation? Based on what i've seen and researched so far, I believe Romney, Perry, Cain, and Paul would probably do equally as well as far as leadership ability goes. Each of them brings extensive leadership experience, which I believe is what is sorely lacking in this government right now.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM

16,700 posts, read 18,909,509 times
I don't like any of the Republican candidates and I definitely don't like Obama... and because of my huge dislike of Obama, I would be willing to vote for ANYONE else...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM

2,608 posts, read 1,725,614 times
Pray for the 5 on the Supreme court....

0bama's done enough damage already with his two picks...

These criminals need to go...

Old 10-07-2011, 12:28 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
How be Impeach him and throw him in Jail then elect Ron Paul???
No way is anyone going to elect Ron Paul period. At least in my opinion.

Nita

Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No disagreement from me. I think your assessment of Romney is spot on.

In all fairness, it is the State legislature that spends, not Governors.

My biggest problem with Perry is that he truly is a Republican-In-Name-Only. For the majority of his life Perry was a staunch card-carrying Democrat, who only recently suddenly decided to pretend he is a Republican.

Perry is an opportunist. While Democrats were in the majority, Perry was a Democrat. When the GOP took control of the majority, Perry became a Republican.

I do not hold Governors accountable for the spending of the legislature, but I do judge politicians on their character, and Perry has none.

This is where you and I disagree. It was Gingrich who started the Republican Revolution of 1994 with his Contract with America that listed ten legislative items that would be accomplished within the first 100 days of the legislative session. It was also Gingrich that appointed Rep. John Kasich Chairman of the House Budget Committee. Because of that appointment, the budget was balanced within three years instead of the twelve years Clinton was demanding.

It was also Gingrich that organized the House to override the majority of Clinton's vetoes, even though the Republicans did not have a two-thirds majority. Gingrich's fiscal conservative record is indisputable. Gingrich's two biggest flaws are: 1) His lack of executive experience; and 2) His mouth has a tendency to runneth over (he has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth).

Herman Cain does appears to be ideologically conservative from every source I have found, and he does have the advantage of not being a politician in addition to the executive experience that both Romney and Perry also possess. As much as I would like to see Cain do better among Republicans, I tend to agree that he has a very difficult road ahead of him.

Very true, and that is why the GOP lost big in the 2006 and 2008 elections. The question still remains, has the GOP learned from their fiscally irresponsibility? If Boehner remains Speaker of the House after 2012, which is likely, then the answer has to be a resounding "NO!"

As with Governors, it is not Presidents who spend, but rather Congress. As your statistics clearly show, when the GOP controlled Congress and a Democrat occupied the White House, the amount of spending was at its lowest level. The only time this condition was true in the time frame specified was between 1995 and 2001, when the GOP controlled Congress was fiscally responsible. As you noted, that changed after Bush was elected President. The GOP, after 2000, began spending like they were Democrats from the 1960s.

There is a continuation of that spending spree occurring in the GOP controlled House as we speak. Speaker Boehner promised "no compromise" on the extension of the 2001 tax cuts after the 2010 election, then promptly compromised with Democrats for their support by adding $120 billion in new spending. Then during the Debt Ceiling fiasco this past August, Speaker Boehner could not manage to cut more than $7 billion from the estimated $1.65 trillion deficit.

You should also note that the GOP controlled House was unable to pass a budget under Speaker Boehner. Making it the fifth consecutive year that Congress has failed to enact a budget.

Thus far, I see no difference between Speaker Boehner and Speaker Pelosi. Both are as fiscally irresponsible as they come. Neither have been able to uphold the constitutional responsibility of the House to pass a budget.

Therefore, as long as Boehner remains Speaker after 2012 we will not have a fiscally responsible House, no matter who gets elected President.
I only partly agree with you on Perry. Yes, he has been a Democrat for the majoity of his life, but not the majority of his adult life.

Nita

Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Thank you for a great reply, Glitch. Gingrich appeared to hit the ground running in 94, but by 98 had gone way off track. In 1998 Kasich was concerned about the heath & welfare of the 94 revolution and proposed a budget plan that eliminated the Depts of commerce and of energy. It was roundly rejected by Gingrich & allies.
GOP agenda is withering away - Chicago Sun-Times | HighBeam Research

"They don't want to cut government," concluded a disheartened Kasich. IMO, Gingrich set the stage for the scenario we got from 2000-2006
Actually, H.R. 1756, the Department of Commerce Dismantling Act, was introduced in 1995 not 1998, and it was Rep. Dick Chrysler that introduced the bill, not Rep. Kasich. Although, Rep. Kasich was a co-sponsor and Speaker Gingrich was not.

Source: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d104:h.r.01756:#

H.R. 1577, the Department of Energy Abolishment Act, was introduced in 1997 by Rep. Todd Tiahrt. Like H.R. 1756 in the 104th Session of Congress, Rep. Kasich was a co-sponsor and Speaker Gingrich was not.

Source: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:h.r.01577:#

After the GOP lost seats in the House in November 1998 Gingrich resigned, just a few days shy of three years from the time he was elected Speaker. When Rep. Kasich did not seek reelection in 2000 that ended the brief era of a fiscally responsible GOP.

At this point in time, I am more concerned about the run-away deficit spending than I am about reducing the size of the federal government. The fact that neither Republicans nor Democrats want to cut the outrageous deficit spending and actually do their job by passing a budget is an obscenity and an afront to every American.

While it is certainly true that Gingrich did nothing to reduce the size of the federal government, he was fiscally responsible enough (with Rep. Kasich's help) to balance the budget. After 40+ years of deficit spending by a Democrat controlled House, that was a significant accomplishment all by itself.

As much as I might like Gingrich's conservative credentials, he has the exact same impediment that Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul also share. All three lack executive experience, and we are seeing first-hand the kinds of problems that will lead to in a President. This is one of the main reasons no US Representative has ever been elected President, and why there have only been two Senators elected President. They have a distinct lack of leadership skills.

I find myself envious of the citizens of Ohio. They made an outstanding choice for Governor.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM

30,881 posts, read 24,200,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
After the GOP lost seats in the House in November 1998 Gingrich resigned, just a few days shy of three years from the time he was elected Speaker. When Rep. Kasich did not seek reelection in 2000 that ended the brief era of a fiscally responsible GOP.

At this point in time, I am more concerned about the run-away deficit spending than I am about reducing the size of the federal government. The fact that neither Republicans nor Democrats want to cut the outrageous deficit spending and actually do their job by passing a budget is an obscenity and an afront to every American.

While it is certainly true that Gingrich did nothing to reduce the size of the federal government, he was fiscally responsible enough (with Rep. Kasich's help) to balance the budget. After 40+ years of deficit spending by a Democrat controlled House, that was a significant accomplishment all by itself.

As much as I might like Gingrich's conservative credentials, he has the exact same impediment that Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul also share. All three lack executive experience, and we are seeing first-hand the kinds of problems that will lead to in a President. This is one of the main reasons no US Representative has ever been elected President, and why there have only been two Senators elected President. They have a distinct lack of leadership skills.

I find myself envious of the citizens of Ohio. They made an outstanding choice for Governor.
well said glitch. i would love to see fiscally responsible people get elected to congress regardless of party affiliation.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:12 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What I think is missing from this discussion is that the President is supposed to be a LEADER. Barack Obama is not a leader in any sense of the word. So the question begs: Who of the current GOP crop of candidates can best LEAD this nation? Based on what i've seen and researched so far, I believe Romney, Perry, Cain, and Paul would probably do equally as well as far as leadership ability goes. Each of them brings extensive leadership experience, which I believe is what is sorely lacking in this government right now.
I agree. Presidents are suppose to lead the nation. We do not have to agree with the direction they are leading the nation, but leadership skills are still a requirement for me. One of the ways I determine whether or not a candidate may have leadership skills is by their executive experience.

The only GOP candidates with executive experience are Romney, Perry, Cain, Roemer and Johnson. That is four former Governors and one former CEO. After the dismal lack of leadership being demonstrated by Obama, I will not consider any candidate that does not have executive experience for 2012.

Of the five GOP candidates that I mentioned that have executive experience, I am currently leaning toward supporting Herman Cain. He is the only one with conservative credentials.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 PM

30,881 posts, read 24,200,485 times
i too support cain for president, but i can live with romney or paul as president. right now anyone anyone else and i would have to hold my nose to vote for them. but unless the republicans nominate someone more horrendous than obama, i will vote republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies