U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM

23,768 posts, read 16,039,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
Seems like a no brainer, doesn't it? If the kids want french fries, no one is stopping them from gorging on them after school. Schools should set good examples and this is a good step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,077,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I guess you all know that the french fries served in school cafeterias are baked, not deep fried?
Then by definition they aren't French Fries, now are they?

By the way, you have personal knowledge of the cooking methods in the 10's of thousands of school cafeterias?

Quote:
Salads are offered, they get thrown out by the staff. Only low fat dressing allowed.
Like I said, different schools different student body palates. Around these parts there seems to be a mandatory vegetarian phase so salads are pretty big in our school district.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM

32,157 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Then by definition they aren't French Fries, now are they?

By the way, you have personal knowledge of the cooking methods in the 10's of thousands of school cafeterias?

Like I said, different schools different student body palates. Around these parts there seems to be a mandatory vegetarian phase so salads are pretty big in our school district.

I know what the guidelines are and have been for the last several years. Helps to know what you're talking about. Unlike most of the people who have opined here, most of whom haven't been in a high school cafeteria since they graduated, if in fact they did.

What most of you don't seem to realize is that Dep't of Ag sets the school lunch program guidelines. With required foods, portion size and preparation. There is some local variation allowed due to equipment but not too much. States are allowed to set set stricter guidelines if they choose.

School lunch is pretty much dreck now, no matter where you are.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 163,609 times
Well I don't know where all you dummies grew up but where I'm from, EARTH, french fries are derived from potatoes, which are vegetables. Our FDA tells us to eat 4-6 of these vegetables to stay healthy. Does this mean vegetables are bad for us(in addition to tasting terrible)?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:41 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,077,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
School lunch is pretty much dreck now, no matter where you are.
I might not have been in a school cafeteria recently, but when wasn't the food dreck?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,608,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I might not have been in a school cafeteria recently, but when wasn't the food dreck?
When you brought it from home.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Well I don't know where all you dummies grew up but where I'm from, EARTH, french fries are derived from potatoes, which are vegetables. Our FDA tells us to eat 4-6 of these vegetables to stay healthy. Does this mean vegetables are bad for us(in addition to tasting terrible)?
The plant is a vegetable but the tater is actually an edible tuber.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
The solution is simple. Make the cafeteria door a certain width and if you are too fat to get in you have to sit outside at the all you can eat vegetables and water table.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM

85,021 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And there is probably a higher percentage of obesity among their kids now that the government has gotten involved.
The school lunch program started in 1946.

The History of the School Lunch Program - Education Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Well, this is the problem with public education. When you allow the public to provide such, you open the doors for the public to demand such (which really means those who whine, cry, complain, sue, and manipulate).

Solution is a private school.

This apparently has to do with the schools meals correct? In that case, you simply pack your kids lunch as you see fit and then flip the bird to the school. If the school is saying it can dictate what a child brings to eat, well... the school and the "public" can stick their head up their arse and suffocate.
Many private schools participate in the federal school lunch program.

National School Lunch Program

Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The school lunch program started in 1946.

The History of the School Lunch Program - Education Bug

Many private schools participate in the federal school lunch program.

National School Lunch Program
In 1946 the food came directly from the farm to the school.
Today there's 3 maybe 4 mega-food corporation that provided pre-cooked food to schools.

Big difference. Today's kids are fat compared to kids in the 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies