U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:59 PM

85,075 posts, read 99,122,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Apparently some haven't gotten the message we sent in the 2010 elections, guess we need to reload for 2012.

A lot of folks are tired of being lectured. Go ahead and offer string beans, beets, cauliflower along with french fries and onion rings. I have no problem with that at all, let the kids choose.

I'll raise my kids though, don't need any assist from you or the "health nutz".
Are you advocating violence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Then if you think the schools should be telling kids what they can eat, how about they mandate that every kid with a C and below has to go to school through the entire summer. Can't have too many dumb kids either. Yeah, yeah, I know you are their parent and you want to go on vacation but if you don't want any say in what they eat, maybe you shouldn't have any choice in what they learn or when they learn, either. I don't want to be subsidizing your dopey kids when they become adults and need food stamps, housing breaks and welfare because they can't find a job or they are underemployed. Isn't "education" the school's primary function?

Maybe we should have your kids all p*e in a cup, too, and get tested for drugs. Let's weed out the dope smokers and pill poppers now before they become a drain on society later.

And your girls, let's test them in school for sexual activity so we don't have to subsidize so many single parents. Maybe we can put birth control in their school lunches. They and their offspring are a really big drain on society.

Which one of those things is the job of a public school?
IIRC, you do not have any kids. How are you so sure what you hear on Rush, FOX, etc about the sorry state of schools today is even half true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
What you are missing is the wisdom of how food is prepared, or should be.
Fries are not unhealthy if prepared in Olive Oil, Extra Virgin would be the best.
Salt, the govt. best keep their stinkin hands off of my salt shaker. Salt is an electrolyte. We need it, and we perspire it out of our system.

I will decide what amounts of salt are good for me.
O. . . M. . . G! All oils have close to the same amount of calories.

Vegetable Oil Calorie Counter

You can get enough salt w/o adding any to your food, unless you're a construction worker in the summer (and a few other rare exceptions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I thought it was Red Velvet Cake.

Manifesto Munchies,

Trotsky Tarts,

Chocolate Che Cookies,

Mao and Macaroni,

Uncle Ho Ho's,

Lamumba Loaf,

Grill Cheese Sandanistwich,

Molotav Fruit Cocktail,

Very Berry Beria yogurt,

Potamkin Pancakes,

Gramsci Crackers and Milk,
You mean all those Nebraskans with their "Big Red" cakes are communists? Who'd a thunk it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In 1946 the food came directly from the farm to the school.
Today there's 3 maybe 4 mega-food corporation that provided pre-cooked food to schools.

Big difference. Today's kids are fat compared to kids in the 40's.
My fave response: "that was different". Frankly, the above is irrelevant to the issue of when the government got involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Random thought...more folks have recently died from cantaloupes than french fries...
Because we have medications that can control diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. While the people who have died from the infections are mostly old people who have weak immune systems (after age 50 your immune system begins to weaken), we do have antibiotics but you need a strong immune system as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM

11,427 posts, read 16,705,377 times
Seasoned fies are the bomb

Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People overhype the fat thing so much.

Sure obesity rates are up but I live right near a high school and the hundreds of kids walking by are pretty much same as they were when I was in high school 25 years ago, most pretty thin/normal with the occasional chunky one.

Sometimes it seems like people believe half the kids in America are fatties, there is so much more to what is going to make a kid fat/thin than lunch time fries being available for one meal/day at their school.
So you're going to use anecdotal observations rather than nationwide statistics? I don't know about kids, but today in the U.S. 67% of people are overweight with 33% of those being obese. In 1990 only 33% of people were overweight and far less of those were obese. You can see it's gone up and it's costing us in health care.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM

32,186 posts, read 39,423,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I might not have been in a school cafeteria recently, but when wasn't the food dreck?
The meal that Roy described was what I had in high school from the mid 60's to the early 70"s (rural high school, 7th through 12th). They would best be described as a dinner/supper you'd get at home. I could never figure out why we got 3 prunes when we had spaghetti, though, which also came with whole white milk (no chocolate, skim, or juice option), a small salad and a couple slices of Italian bread with butter.

When I started teaching in the early 80's the lunches were still similar.

Carrying lunch is sort of cultural from my limited perspective. The school I'm at has gone from vastly majority White to vastly majority Black over the last 15 years. The White kids would carry lunch, the Black kids don't. The other demographic measures (income, parent education, etc.) have stayed the same. There has been a societal change, too, with fast food outlets being more prevalent and families eating out more or getting carryout.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Children today are heavier today because of a lack of physical activity, not because of the school lunches they eat.

50 years ago, this was the typical lunch: Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes with butter, green beans, a white bread, a cookie, and glass of whole milk. All of this was made from scratch and contained everything "unhealthy" such as lard, real butter, whole milk, sugar, cream, eggs, etc. If you look at school pictures from that era, you'll see how skinny the children were. The kids got all everything they needed in one meal. Vitamins, fat, calories, and nutrients to keep them healthy. Then after they ate, they went out to play at recess for an hour. When school ended, they usually walked home. So, naturally, excess fat was burned off. Plus, they also had mandatory PE classes.

Today, this is the typical school lunch in my area: prepacked pizza, corn from the can (very high in salt), a whole wheat bread (again prepacked) and non fat chocolate milk. Now recess has been shortened to only 30 minutes and children no longer walk to school or walk home from school. So, all of these attempts to make school lunches "healither" is actually costing us money, neglecting the kids of the nutrients they need and actually making school lunches more unhealthy.
Lack of exercise is only a part of it, you have to take into considering the portion sizes and not only in schools, but restaurants and homes as well. This is one of the reasons why people believed Europeans stayed thin and healthy despite their diets because they ate smaller portions. However, I hear that some European countries are experiencing an increase in weight, but I don't know what has changed for them to start gaining weight (perhaps their portions?).

Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,127,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

My fave response: "that was different". Frankly, the above is irrelevant to the issue of when the government got involved.
It's TOTALLY relevant because we're talking about french fries in schools, NOT when the government started subsidizing food. YOU brought that one up all by yourself.

Stay on topic.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 PM

85,075 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's TOTALLY relevant because we're talking about french fries in schools, NOT when the government started subsidizing food. YOU brought that one up all by yourself.

Stay on topic.
The post I responded to had no mention of French fries. It was about government involvement. I was pointing out to those who didn't know (apparently a majority on this board) that the school lunch program is NOT NEW.

An order of small fries is about 270 calories. When I was a kid in the 60s, eating school lunches, we had a lot of mashed potatoes. 1/2 cup= 110 calories. Plus gravy-88 cal for 1/4 cup. Total=203 calories. Fewer, but not significantly so.

http://www.nutrientfacts.com/foodpag...rown_gravy.htm
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/searchf...ne+Added&var=5
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...h-fries-i21138

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-08-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,589,266 times
Just as an aside, France is blaming the ketchup on the Freedom Fries and not the fries for childhood obesity.

France limits ketchup to fight obesity, preserve culture - Your Community

Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM

13,757 posts, read 23,268,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you advocating violence?
Thanks for the reminder concerning why political discussions are often so pointless today.

The need for folks to feign indignation far outweighs critical discussion and analysis of issues.

Hopefully, this election cycle will further remind the "nanny stater's" why they are in retreat concerning issues like outlawing french fries in schools.

Revolutions can be very peaceful, and effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies