Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

The Food Police are still at it.

"French fries may soon be bullied out of school cafeterias if the government gets its way...'It’s going to cost us over $50 million,' said Dennis Barrett, director of food services for Los Angeles Unified District, a school system that serves more than 700,000 meals every weekday."

USDA | Potatoes | School Lunches | Childhood Obesity | The Daily Caller

First they came for your trans fats, then they came for your salt, then they came for your sodas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Great. They shouldn't be in schools to begin with.

Thinking back, my middle and high schoola served Taco Bell, Chick-fil-A, and Pizza Hut options in the cafeteria. It's no wonder a quarter of the kids I went to school with were (and still are) tubs of lard.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
Usually I'm against government intervention into our personal lives, as I'm a firm believer that you cannot legislate morality. But in this case, I'm all for it. The sad fact is that Americans have gotten so fat and lazy and sloth-like that it looks like the only way they're going to eat healthier is if Uncle Sam forces them to. These fat kids at school who gorge on fries and soft drinks usually grow-up to be unhealthy adults who cost the country hundreds of millions of dollars a year in health and welfare costs, in additon to diminished production in the workplace which hurts employers, and then in turn damages our economy even further.
I'm typing this on my laptop right now at a local StarBucks and am afforded the unfortunate and disgusting view of a woman's butt that must be three feet wide. She's ordering a large double mocha with whip cream and two bear claws. $11.00! Gee, money well spent.
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American. Like on the rare occasion when I go to a WalMart. I just stand in the front of the store and gaze with wide wonder for a couple moments at the sheer imensity of obesity. It's mind-boggling.
OK: I'm fully aware that this is all coming-off as judgemental and harsh of me, and some of you guys are gonna have a field day with it in the oncoming posts, but so be it.
This country is in dire straits, health-wise and maybe government intervenion is the only viable alternative.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 10-07-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Usually I'm against government intervention into our personal lives, as I'm a firm believer that you cannot legislate morality. But in this case, I'm all for it. The sad fact is that Americans have gotten so fat and lazy and sloth-like that it looks like the only way they're going to eat healthier is if Uncle Sam forces them to. These fat kids at school who gorge on fries and soft drinks usually grow-up to be unhealthy adults who cost the country hundreds of millions of dollars a year in health and welfare costs, in additon to diminished production in the workplace which hurts employers, and then in turn damages our economy even further.
I'm typing this on my laptop right now at a local StarBucks and am afforded the unfortunate and dusgusting view of a woman's butt that must be three feet wide. She's ordering a large double mocha with whip cream and two bear claws. $11.00! Gee, money well spent.
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American. Like on the rare occasion when I go to a WalMart. I just stand in the front of the store and gaze with wide wonder for a couple moments at the sheer imensity of obesity. It's mind-boggling.
OK: I'm fully aware that this is all coming-off as judegemental and harsh of me, and some of you guys are gonna have a field day with it in the oncoming posts, but so be it.
This country is in dire straits, health-wise and maybe government intervenion is the only viable alternative.
Maybe we should institute a fat tax to recover some of the cost as well as to act as deterrent.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Food Police are still at it.

"French fries may soon be bullied out of school cafeterias if the government gets its way...'It’s going to cost us over $50 million,' said Dennis Barrett, director of food services for Los Angeles Unified District, a school system that serves more than 700,000 meals every weekday."

USDA | Potatoes | School Lunches | Childhood Obesity | The Daily Caller

First they came for your trans fats, then they came for your salt, then they came for your sodas...
Next they will come for YOU.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,637,138 times
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
sandwiches, fruit, veggies and water is all my teens get in their bag lunches. Kids don't need french fries or any fried food for lunch. However I think that should be a parents decision or one made by the schools to save costs.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
I hear you.

Ironically, back in the day (1978), my friend ran for class president in 8th grade. One of his pitches was that he would get McDs to start providing meals in the cafeteria.

He was not really serious, but made a big stir and was elected. Fast forward to today and its ironic that was, in a way, ahead of his time.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 AM

410 posts, read 742,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree. If parents feel that their rights or the rights of their children are being taken away, perhaps they can make their child's lunch!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
At least they get lunch... I remember when I was a kid, we didn't have enough money to buy lunches... I let my siblings eat while I starved... that wasn't fun at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies