U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
22,341 posts, read 17,212,617 times
Reputation: 31544
Default No French Fries For You

The Food Police are still at it.

"French fries may soon be bullied out of school cafeterias if the government gets its way...'Itís going to cost us over $50 million,' said Dennis Barrett, director of food services for Los Angeles Unified District, a school system that serves more than 700,000 meals every weekday."


USDA | Potatoes | School Lunches | Childhood Obesity | The Daily Caller

First they came for your trans fats, then they came for your salt, then they came for your sodas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
 
13,337 posts, read 4,583,018 times
Reputation: 4155
Great. They shouldn't be in schools to begin with.

Thinking back, my middle and high schoola served Taco Bell, Chick-fil-A, and Pizza Hut options in the cafeteria. It's no wonder a quarter of the kids I went to school with were (and still are) tubs of lard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,756 posts, read 3,163,653 times
Reputation: 4442
Usually I'm against government intervention into our personal lives, as I'm a firm believer that you cannot legislate morality. But in this case, I'm all for it. The sad fact is that Americans have gotten so fat and lazy and sloth-like that it looks like the only way they're going to eat healthier is if Uncle Sam forces them to. These fat kids at school who gorge on fries and soft drinks usually grow-up to be unhealthy adults who cost the country hundreds of millions of dollars a year in health and welfare costs, in additon to diminished production in the workplace which hurts employers, and then in turn damages our economy even further.
I'm typing this on my laptop right now at a local StarBucks and am afforded the unfortunate and disgusting view of a woman's butt that must be three feet wide. She's ordering a large double mocha with whip cream and two bear claws. $11.00! Gee, money well spent.
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American. Like on the rare occasion when I go to a WalMart. I just stand in the front of the store and gaze with wide wonder for a couple moments at the sheer imensity of obesity. It's mind-boggling.
OK: I'm fully aware that this is all coming-off as judgemental and harsh of me, and some of you guys are gonna have a field day with it in the oncoming posts, but so be it.
This country is in dire straits, health-wise and maybe government intervenion is the only viable alternative.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 10-07-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
 
13,337 posts, read 4,583,018 times
Reputation: 4155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Usually I'm against government intervention into our personal lives, as I'm a firm believer that you cannot legislate morality. But in this case, I'm all for it. The sad fact is that Americans have gotten so fat and lazy and sloth-like that it looks like the only way they're going to eat healthier is if Uncle Sam forces them to. These fat kids at school who gorge on fries and soft drinks usually grow-up to be unhealthy adults who cost the country hundreds of millions of dollars a year in health and welfare costs, in additon to diminished production in the workplace which hurts employers, and then in turn damages our economy even further.
I'm typing this on my laptop right now at a local StarBucks and am afforded the unfortunate and dusgusting view of a woman's butt that must be three feet wide. She's ordering a large double mocha with whip cream and two bear claws. $11.00! Gee, money well spent.
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American. Like on the rare occasion when I go to a WalMart. I just stand in the front of the store and gaze with wide wonder for a couple moments at the sheer imensity of obesity. It's mind-boggling.
OK: I'm fully aware that this is all coming-off as judegemental and harsh of me, and some of you guys are gonna have a field day with it in the oncoming posts, but so be it.
This country is in dire straits, health-wise and maybe government intervenion is the only viable alternative.
Maybe we should institute a fat tax to recover some of the cost as well as to act as deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
 
6,395 posts, read 3,386,637 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Food Police are still at it.

"French fries may soon be bullied out of school cafeterias if the government gets its way...'Itís going to cost us over $50 million,' said Dennis Barrett, director of food services for Los Angeles Unified District, a school system that serves more than 700,000 meals every weekday."


USDA | Potatoes | School Lunches | Childhood Obesity | The Daily Caller

First they came for your trans fats, then they came for your salt, then they came for your sodas...
Next they will come for YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
 
7,826 posts, read 4,796,989 times
Reputation: 6132
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Status: "Happy Chris Day" (set 3 days ago)
 
20,147 posts, read 12,592,863 times
Reputation: 17169
sandwiches, fruit, veggies and water is all my teens get in their bag lunches. Kids don't need french fries or any fried food for lunch. However I think that should be a parents decision or one made by the schools to save costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:34 AM
 
7,560 posts, read 10,676,783 times
Reputation: 2891
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
I hear you.

Ironically, back in the day (1978), my friend ran for class president in 8th grade. One of his pitches was that he would get McDs to start providing meals in the cafeteria.

He was not really serious, but made a big stir and was elected. Fast forward to today and its ironic that was, in a way, ahead of his time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
 
410 posts, read 334,642 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
I agree. If parents feel that their rights or the rights of their children are being taken away, perhaps they can make their child's lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
 
11,853 posts, read 11,165,095 times
Reputation: 4376
At least they get lunch... I remember when I was a kid, we didn't have enough money to buy lunches... I let my siblings eat while I starved... that wasn't fun at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top