Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Don't look at this from an emotional point of view? Tell that to the two motherless children that I referred to earlier.

Do you think that their mother knew going in that there was a good chance she was going to die and leave her children motherless? Since when can a doctor assure a woman 100% that she isn't going to be that one "hyperbole" that ends up dead?

And, by the way....when I get into my car and drive out of my driveway....I am VOLUNTARILY taking the risk that I could die. I am making the CHOICE to risk my life......why shouldn't a woman have the same choice when it comes to carrying a pregnancy? Why should women become property of the state once a pregnancy begins?

Your argument is the one that isn't valid.

You are the one that is looking at this from an emotional point of view.....giving a fetus, a clump of cells, more rights than a living, breathing, thinking woman.

And, I would also like to point out, that for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, as many people do, missing all kinds of work to carry a pregnancy is a BIG DEAL. Having enough money to pay your rent and keep the heat on, is a BIG DEAL. Why don't you try to put yourself in someone else's shoes before you start judging others?
Because I don't base my arguments on emotion. Oh and by the way, having sex consensually that results in a baby is also a choice, much like driving a car. If you want to 100% avoid risk in these scenarios, don't drive and don't have sex. Do both responsibly and you should be fine most times.

But by all means, let's focus on the exceptions to the rule instead of the rule. You know, abortion is a medical procedure. It has risks too; can't guarantee 100% she won't die or have issues there either, can you? Most things we do in life has risks. That's kind of the nature of things. That's where that whole personal responsibility thing comes into play; it's ultimately about performing personal risk analysis.

Oh and yet again, let me state that pregnancy is a medical condition. So, how is that any different than other preventable medical conditions that may result in medical care (e.g. Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc)? So, that hypothetical women that you want me to wear her shoes? I would suggest short term disability, like millions of other Americans use in case of temporary work absence due to a medical condition. Darn personal responsibility again!

Abortion is medically extinguishing life. I believe our government should protect life and property. But I can say this again and again to you and it wouldn't matter. You're so wrapped up in the emotion of the issue that you can't see it, don't want to see it, and will never see it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Because I don't base my arguments on emotion. Oh and by the way, having sex consensually that results in a baby is also a choice, much like driving a car. If you want to 100% avoid risk in these scenarios, don't drive and don't have sex. Do both responsibly and you should be fine most times.

But by all means, let's focus on the exceptions to the rule instead of the rule. You know, abortion is a medical procedure. It has risks too; can't guarantee 100% she won't die or have issues there either, can you? Most things we do in life has risks. That's kind of the nature of things. That's where that whole personal responsibility thing comes into play; it's ultimately about performing personal risk analysis.

Oh and yet again, let me state that pregnancy is a medical condition. So, how is that any different than other preventable medical conditions that may result in medical care (e.g. Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc)? So, that hypothetical women that you want me to wear her shoes? I would suggest short term disability, like millions of other Americans use in case of temporary work absence due to a medical condition. Darn personal responsibility again!

Abortion is medically extinguishing life. I believe our government should protect life and property. But I can say this again and again to you and it wouldn't matter. You're so wrapped up in the emotion of the issue that you can't see it, don't want to see it, and will never see it.
And you aren't wrapped up in it yourself?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
The fact is i don't know why the debate rages, because abortion will never be illegalized. You are seeing all these pro life measures passed this year being blocked, which means they are going to be struck down. Seem's to make more sense for the pro life crowd to expend their energy on preventing pregnancies.
I actually do agree with you on one measure for sure. I think preventing pregnancies is very important. I still can't get over the number of people that accidentally get pregnant in this day and age given the enormous number of birth control methods available. Of course, there's always the faulty birth control but that's much rarer than simply unplanned pregnancies from lack of birth control.

I have to admit, I don't understand the pro-life and anti-birth control crowds. Guess it's a religious thing. Seems that's just asking for an enormous uptick in unplanned pregnancies because we all know people aren't going to stop having sex.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
I actually do agree with you on one measure for sure. I think preventing pregnancies is very important. I still can't get over the number of people that accidentally get pregnant in this day and age given the enormous number of birth control methods available. Of course, there's always the faulty birth control but that's much rarer than simply unplanned pregnancies from lack of birth control.

I have to admit, I don't understand the pro-life and anti-birth control crowds. Guess it's a religious thing. Seems that's just asking for an enormous uptick in unplanned pregnancies because we all know people aren't going to stop having sex.

That's always been my issue with the pro life crowd, it's anti abortion but also anti bc. But even with the ease of methods out there, you would be amazed on how many teens are ignorant of their options.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
And you aren't wrapped up in it yourself?
Not really and this is why I usually avoid these types of threads. I'm never going to be one of those picketing pro-lifer people at all. Just my thoughts on why I think abortion isn't something that should exist for convenience reasons.

I do enjoy debate...after all this IS the P&C forum.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That's always been my issue with the pro life crowd, it's anti abortion but also anti bc. But even with the ease of methods out there, you would be amazed on how many teens are ignorant of their options.
Yeah, that's a pretty ignorant point of view on their part. I don't see any problem with birth control at all and think it's a responsible choice.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 AM

87 posts, read 92,943 times
Quote:
I kind of get what you're saying but I want to be clear. Is your argument that we should cover every eventuality of bad decision making and thereby allow abortion? Eventually people should have to actually live with some consequences of bad decisions and I'm not saying that means they have to raise the child. So, yes, they may have to make the hard decision about giving the child up for adoption. I think that's fair.

As I said before, yes, some people indeed do get pregnant on birth control but you must admit that is a very small minority to those that get pregnant out of all of the unwanted pregnancies. Again, there is still a choice in that instance too; raise the child or give it up for adoption.

No, I'm saying that instead of telling people what they can and can't do based on your own personal mentality, you have to understand there are people that WILL kill their children, whether we make it legal or not.

What I'm saying is, your solution isn't the right one, or even the best one.

What I'm saying is, it's awful easy to stand on a high horse and say that abortion shouldn't be allowed and women should "pay for their actions" but you're not considering the children that would pay for being forced to "be".

...you don't think abortion is a tough decision???

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What about the rights of the child?
Now I know its hard to read through an entire thread, but you can at least have the courtesy of not asking questions addressed in the first page

see post #10

Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Women do need something men have to get pregnant. That's a biological fact. Been pregnant, been through childbirth...let's not act like you're nailing yourself to the cross to do that. If you feel, as a woman, that you've been biologically lessened somehow, I can't help you. I tend to look at women's natural biological functions not as something to endure but part of what makes us the givers of life.

Remember, what you think is a burden, there are millions of women that would welcome it. Nonetheless, physical discomfort should not negate a man's decision because he is an essential component to the pregnancy, per biology.
Wrong. Men do not experience or suffer the perils of pregnancy. Until they do, they have no say in what a woman chooses to do with her body. The best they can do is to be very discriminating about in whom they choose to deposit their sperm.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
As to southbel. That argument has been had more or less and the courts disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies