U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,628,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

That said, firearms and any mind altering substances, DO NOT MIX!
This.

While I'm all for legalizing all victimless drugs (which includes pot), you don't want a pothead with a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,618,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Last I looked Marijuana (not matter its form) is illegal.

BTW, I'm all for legalizing Marijuana, if its done in a controlled manner, like any other prescription drug out there.
Marijuana for "personal use" has been legal in Alaska since 1974, and the vast majority of Alaskans are very well armed.

I oppose drug legalization. Decriminalization is fine, but not legalization. We already made that mistake with alcohol and tobacco. One would think that we would learn from those mistakes.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,171,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Marijuana for "personal use" has been legal in Alaska since 1974, and the vast majority of Alaskans are very well armed.

I oppose drug legalization. Decriminalization is fine, but not legalization.

We already made that mistake with alcohol and tobacco.
One would think that we would learn from those mistakes.
I don't understand the latter comments (in bold). Made what mistake? Are you implying that alcohol and tobacco were ever legalized? Obviously, they weren't, as they are both subject to very strict regulations (including criminal sanctions). The repeal of Prohibition eventually put alcohol into the (somewhat misnamed) "decriminalized" regime (which is a misnomer to some extent anyway, since some decriminalization may still have criminal penalties associated with it... it simply decriminalized certain conduct associated with the broader issue).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 10-07-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 05:41 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,710,336 times
Quote:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Well, if ya wanna get literal, look at the bolded word. Only states can enact those regulations, not the federal government.
Quote:
State = United States of America (funny how the language of our fore fathers can confuse some people).
In "the language of our fore fathers," "regulated" meant "maintained," as in kept in working order. It didn't mean what "enacting regulations upon" as you're implying.

Yes, it is funny how the language of our forefathers can confuse some people. You are apparently one of them...

Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM

760 posts, read 571,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Which point?

People have been drinking for a LOOOONG time...
History of alcoholic beverages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THC stays in the system for a long time and has negative side effects...
Tetrahydrocannabinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The whole statement. Have you ever smoked before? It's not alcohol. I can smoke weed for days, stop one day, be fine the next morning like nothing happened, and teach a class. You cannot OD on the stuff. Alcohol on the other hand can kill you and if it doesn't, you'll feel like absolutely hell after drinking too much.

Drugs of any kind with a gun are a big mistake, but saying that alcohol is better for humans because they have been consuming it for thousands of years is absolutely idiotic.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:48 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,904,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
........ I can smoke weed for days, stop one day, be fine the next morning like nothing happened, and teach a class. .....
Yep, go figure the liberal potheads and druggies are the ones "teaching" our kids.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:50 PM

760 posts, read 571,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yep, go figure the liberal potheads and druggies are the ones "teaching" our kids.
I said I can. I wouldn't dare risk my career for a high. The laws are strict here and it just isn't worth it.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,480,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
I said I can. I wouldn't dare risk my career for a high. The laws are strict here and it just isn't worth it.
Yet you can "smoke for weeks" and then go be a professor. You must be smoking the good stuff.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:58 PM

268 posts, read 340,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Am I the only one who thinks recreational drug users shouldn't have guns?

"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about."

What would you call alcohol?

The only thing a pot smoker is going to kill is a box of captain crunch!

If you have an example of someone who was shot dead from a crazed pot smoker please share with us.

Crickets....

Old 10-07-2011, 09:43 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,618,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I don't understand the latter comments (in bold). Made what mistake? Are you implying that alcohol and tobacco were ever legalized? Obviously, they weren't, as they are both subject to very strict regulations (including criminal sanctions). The repeal of Prohibition eventually put alcohol into the (somewhat misnamed) "decriminalized" regime (which is a misnomer to some extent anyway, since some decriminalization may still have criminal penalties associated with it... it simply decriminalized certain conduct associated with the broader issue).
Yes, alcohol and tobacco were legalized. Why do you think the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms exists? Legalization means new laws are created to regulate and heavily tax whatever product they are legalizing. Alcohol has been legalized, regulated, and taxed since 1792. It was the very first tax Congress ever enacted.

Decriminalization is the removal of ALL criminal penalties. not just some penalties, or a lessening of the crime. All criminal penalties must be repealed, or it is not decriminalization.

Legalization = The creation of new laws and regulations.
Decriminalization = The repeal of existing laws and regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies