Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Because Apple is cool.

And because you couldn't see how the sausage was made.

How many American manufacturing jobs has Apple outsourced?
Only Apple makes Apple computers. In my trade Apple computers are the workhorse that gets the job done everytime, speed, accurately with little to no crashes. Not cool for me but a necessary tool for my job. Anybody and their mother makes PCs all over the world. Not long ago Apple computers were made in the US, now China does, I believe, which is a shame especially a product most Chinese could not afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
Irrational thinking.

Again, the house I "needed" in 2007 should have been sold to me at a lower price so the owner could not make an excessive profit?

Is that a response to my post or the OP?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

Old 10-09-2011, 08:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Very informative - thanks for posting.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am a leftie and dislike Apple.

I got the iPhone 4 for $50. Never would have bought it for full price.
I am a far right winger and have LOVED Apple since 1981. They have always had better products than the IBM clone/Microsoft products. I don't give a damn if the company is run by left wingers- they make good stuff.

In contrast, I can't stand Wal-Mart, as they underpay their employees and sell Chinese junk. I remember when Wal-Mart was young and took pride in selling American products. Now they, as one of the chief vendors of Chinese crap, have helped to facilitate the demise of US manufacturing. I wonder why no one has come up with an "Ameri-Mart" that sells (whatever is still made in the US) American products whenever available. By providing an outlet for American products, this would probably spur development of US made products that have been currently lost, such as appliances.

I like Exxon. Without them, I would have to walk to work, and it is too far. I also love central heating (ours is natural gas) and all the plastic crap I have that could not be made without oil.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The left side of the political spectrum frequently rants about big oil and Walmart.

Exxon's profit margin is about 8%. Walmart's profit margin is less than 4%.

Apple's profit margin is about 26%.

Almost all of Apple's products are manufactured outside the US. Apple is sitting on almost $80B of cash. It makes $208 for each $499 iPad, and $449 on each $899 iPad. The profit margins are obscene. Apple only employs about 46,000 people worldwide. Apple's Chinese suppliers have been documented as suicidal because of difficult working conditions. Apple's addictive products are essentially thrown away every two years as their loyal buyers constantly upgrade when new devices are introduced.

Why do lefties never criticize Apple? They are the poster child for obscene profits, corporate secrecy, and offshore manufacturing.
Why do you claim stuff and pretend it is reality?
Being a progressive myself, I have never bought anything Apple, not even an iPod. I never bought that Apple=good vs Microsoft=bad crap that is decades old and the main reason why Apple has traditionally enjoyed a much better reputation than it deserved.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Very informative - thanks for posting.

Every man (and woman) will have their good and bad points in life. I would offer that no one would create a buisness empire (Hershey excluded) without being a mean spirited, agressive SOB. Most people are mean spirited, agressive, SOBs, but don't produce interesting products, like Apple.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Progressive/liberal here who hates Apple.

Here's the thing:

The majority of Americans are stupid.

They will hate what the media tells them to hate.

And nothing screams more than "buy me now and love me" than Apple, regardless of the fact that (outside of their phones), they typically put out an inferior product for almost double the price.

Which, again, speaks to the general idiocy of America.

And yes, the right wing does exhibit this idiocy as well.
Microsoft is the Establishment.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I think it's misguided to hate a particular company. Their job is to make money for their shareholders. Period. If I were an investor, I would want them to make as much money for me as legally possible.

It's not the profits that I hate; it's what they do with it that I hate. It's the system of buying our politics that I hate. Our lifestyle would not be possible without strong, dynamic, profit-making corporations such as Apple or even Exxon for that matter, but there also needs to be a recognition of the fact that these companies need an economy of strong consumers in order to buy their products. Moreover, given that we have the resources and the tools to create a comfortable standard of living for those who are willing to work for it, we as voters have a reasonable expectation to have our elected officials make policies that help protect these interests.

Unfortunately, the last 30 or 40 years have seen our elected officials influenced unduly by corporations, thereby disrupting the balance between strong, vibrant corporations on the one hand, and a society that enjoys a good quality of living on the other.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Liberals don't want to hate the "hip and cool" because it would make them look uncool and they can't have that... look at Obama who was a one-term senator with no real political experience and his competitors who had a large history of political experience... Obama was "hip and cool" and he played that style when he was talking to "appear" like that... so liberals voted... but I don't blame them... remember back in school when people voted for class president and stuff... they voted the popular kid in school not the kid who had real plans... Obama couldn't "explain" what his "hope and change" was but he knew he didn't need to, to win the nomination or election.... so liberals would love Apple for its "hip and cool" status... that is until there is a new "hip and cool" status given to someone else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies