U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM

12,758 posts, read 7,382,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have no compassion for anyone who would be too lazy to take a job that was offered but claimed he was poor and I mean jobs like farm work or dry wall installation. Those jobs that apparently no American, even the welfare types won't do that we need to import millions of illegals to do.

There are those who believe they should not have to take jobs that are "beneath them" yet they expect to be provided for.
There is an element in society that does attempt to abuse the system but you and your fellow posters of the right paint with too broad a brush. I'd love to see a mechinism in place with our government social safety nets that constantly screened the recipients for exactly that long term dependency of which you speak.
Nobody ever born says they want to live in a welfare poverty system all their lives. Nobody decides that they want to live poor and just barely surviving, not knowing what next week will bring, never mind next year.
But here and now, you and your compatriots paint the poor with too broad a brush. You have an agenda and that is to dismantle all social safety nets as much as you can so you use the minority bad example to group all poor as the same. Never once has anyone given actual statistics to show the percentage of people who abuse the system vs the percentage of people who actually need it at the time. Sure, 3 Shepards gives me a link showing me how many color tvs poor people own but the link is nothing more than by the very same group who invented the agenda of dismantling the social safety nets that exist in our country today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM

4,303 posts, read 7,913,992 times
The rural people who support the Republican Party are strongly against Social Security being taken away. When politicians like Bush suggested major changes, they found vehement opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The elephant in the room that no conservative ever mentions is Seniors. They group the poor into working poor or deadbeats and always postulating that the majority of poor are deadbeats. This follows the conservative agenda of wanting to dismantle all social safety nets, Social Security being one of the hot button programs they would like to dismantle along with medicare. Well here's some information that addresses the real numbers.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,589,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I give money to Obama's relatives daily in the city where I am, some of the homeless and I converse after I buy them a meal. Some very nice folks who are not connected to society as they should be. Most all are mental if not part of a family that I've seen.
I did this year and last year host a homeless family in my home for about 5 months while I was away at work in another city. Won't do it again. They broke things, didn't respect stuff, were filthy and my wife even got one of them a job with benefits that they refused to take rather than lose their $400 in welfare. Sometimes there are reasons some people are broke and on the dole.

We will be hosting for many months a relative who just lost their job, are pregnant and the husband is also unemployed. Hope they do better.

My family have a history of trying to help others. My mother was a minister in our state for the purpose of helping people in prison and she was later involved in the establishment of a half way house for men to eventually get back their life and to their families.
On the east coast other family a while back pretty much helped start the civil war regarding slavery and were talking freedom for blacks at a time when white people would be killed for it. I am part of a very vocal family at a crucial time that were historically very responsible for the changes made for the good regarding blacks and against slavery.
There are some statues in NY of some of my relatives which pigeons of course make nice targets.

We all try, but you honestly can't give away everything for people, some will work low wage jobs and will live two families to a rental like the old days.
Would be better if everyone would at least graduate high school and would learn the King's English, but that is just my opinion.
What are you trying to say when you say that you give money to Obama's relatives? That's a really bad joke.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM

Unless people in here talking are actually rich, and I mean rich, then I don't think any of us have the room to talk about what we think about poor people. I'm not a fan of the size of welfare nor the abuse of the U.S. system, but I also don't want to get into the habit of "talking about" poor people as if I've never had it hard before. I feel like the class warfare that the media and politics has created recently is making some people detached from people and make them think they can look down on someone. We are bombarded with questions about social welfare programs as we try to figure out how to tackle the nation's debt. It makes people think they are mightier than the other because they can now look at a group and question them.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There is an element in society that does attempt to abuse the system but you and your fellow posters of the right paint with too broad a brush. I'd love to see a mechinism in place with our government social safety nets that constantly screened the recipients for exactly that long term dependency of which you speak.
Nobody ever born says they want to live in a welfare poverty system all their lives. Nobody decides that they want to live poor and just barely surviving, not knowing what next week will bring, never mind next year.
But here and now, you and your compatriots paint the poor with too broad a brush. You have an agenda and that is to dismantle all social safety nets as much as you can so you use the minority bad example to group all poor as the same. Never once has anyone given actual statistics to show the percentage of people who abuse the system vs the percentage of people who actually need it at the time. Sure, 3 Shepards gives me a link showing me how many color tvs poor people own but the link is nothing more than by the very same group who invented the agenda of dismantling the social safety nets that exist in our country today.
This.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM

12,758 posts, read 7,382,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What are you trying to say when you say that you give money to Obama's relatives? That's a really bad joke.
It's the elephant in the room they won't ever mention.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
According to Jesus it is a place of cleansing , getting baptized with the holy spirit in the river...

Shall we gather at the river, where bright angel feet have trod, with its crystal tide forever flowing by the throne of God.

Shall we gather at the river , the beautiful , the beautiful river.
Dude, that's in the old days. Tried bathing in a modern day river today? And get chemicals on your skin? Or get swept away and drowned?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you're on any kind of aid and you have a flatscreen t.v. and/or X-box you're not poor.
I have noticed that this has come up a lot lately, there was even a thread here about poor people owning XBOX and flat-screens.

Here's the thing about that in my opinion. Poor people often make bad financial decisions. Financial decisions and other decisions such as education seem to be the issues. Well, when poor people DO get income they make bad buying decisions. Decisions may be to buy things of entertainment instead of fixing their car, paying for school or even investing. So, just because someone owns something like an XBOX doesn't mean they aren't poor. Take the person who does get an income tax return. They may have only brought in $8,000 that year with a household of three children. They are going to get a lot of money from tax credits and where does that money go? On many things that they DO NOT need as people who have income in the poverty ranges.

It's very strange and unfortunate. People can be using government funds because they don't make enough money to be ineligible, but once tax return comes around, they can get many luxury things. Those things such as the XBOX will remain their possessions because they are obviously non-perishable and will remain even when the family is having continued hard times. The result is that many low-income or poor families have those luxury entertainment items around the house.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM

Did the Heritage Center get this data directly from somewhere? Or did it do analysis of its own? Where is the link?

Think tanks can be reliable sources of info - they do try to advance a point of view, so watch for bias. Plain ol' journal articles are the best sources, AFAIK.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why I don't feel sorry for most of the homeless. Pity isn't a good emotion anyhow, it's patronizing. I've talked with homeless either and a great number of them have tried the 8-5 and didn't choose to stay with it. They have a kind of contempt for the time-clock slaves -- their words. They prefer their freedom. There's something about not having any bills to worry about, no irritating bosses to contend with, no families demanding this and that of them that appeals to them. And I don't really believe most of them actually feel very sorry for themselves.
Some people really do have this attitude.

Read "Mississippi Drift" from the Harpers Magazine columnist Matthew Power: http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crimethinc_in_harpers.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
He saw no shame in this, and he looked at food stamps as a way of getting back the taxes he paid when he was at Kinko’s. From the hundreds of man-hours he had put into the boat, it was evident that what he hated was not doing work per se, but rather trading his time for money. Matt had been working on the boat for over a year and had spent almost nothing on it. What wasn’t donated or dumpstered was procured by extralegal means. “Half this boat is stolen,” he chuckled, with unmistakable pride in his handiwork and resourcefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies