Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In the USA, if you have two arms and legs that work, aren't bedridden and have an IQ over 70, there is no good excuse at all to be poor.

That's how I feel about them in the USA -- they could work but don't want to work.

What about burger flippers? Many of them work and are poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,210,539 times
As a person that holds certain conservative beliefs and preferences, I feel sad for the poor. I recognize the effect that the environment brings to the poor.

...However that can be fixed by offering a superior education. With a different school curriculum we could lift up the poor to the middle class....

...But meh, that's just me being optimistic.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Well, if I were to believe what the newspaper says and what I read on here, I AM POOR.

I am retired/disabled, wife has low level job, we have a house, TV, car. Between us, we make
about 25 a year.

But, I don't feel poor. We hardly ever eat out, rarely go anywhere, but we want for nothing.
I think life is a state of mind, nobody ever said it would be easy. I guess I would rather be free,
and have less, than be rich and someone I am not.

However did you afford a house on about 25 a year? How much down payment did you have?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
However did you afford a house on about 25 a year? How much down payment did you have?
If you are fortunate enough to live in certain places, you can buy a cheap ol' house.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Where I am at least there is assistance for the poor for paying utilities. The poor get medical care free. Food stamps. And every year there is a coat drive and all the kids get free coats if you can't buy them. There are plenty of services for the poor. The US is a great country to be poor in.

The unemployed college grads can be found on Wall Street not wanting to work.

that's usually only available to poor people who do not share housing with other poor people. (Where's the logic in that?)

those who share housing with other poor people often find that none of them are eligible for assistance paying utilities.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Well, if I were to believe what the newspaper says and what I read on here, I AM POOR.

I am retired/disabled, wife has low level job, we have a house, TV, car. Between us, we make
about 25 a year.

But, I don't feel poor. We hardly ever eat out, rarely go anywhere, but we want for nothing.
I think life is a state of mind, nobody ever said it would be easy. I guess I would rather be free,
and have less, than be rich and someone I am not.

A single person or married couple is not poor at $25K unless they have lots of kids.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I had a friend who was a social worker, and she said that it was some kind of "compensation" lower income families make. Because they can't get one set of luxuries, they overdo it with another to try to feel better or something

I'm a contrarian, so I take the opposite approach. I know that earning money is hard for me (and as a childless adult, handouts are practically nonexistent), so I hoard money when I get some.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,050 times
Quote:
What about burger flippers? Many of them work and are poor.
As we showed in my Facts about Welfare thread, 90% of people on food stamps are actually the working poor meaning they do indeed have a job, often 2-3 jobs, but they're just not making much even working all the light hours of the day.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
A single person or married couple is not poor at $25K unless they have lots of kids.
Or live in a high rent place..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Rich is enjoying what you have, poor is complaining about not having what you want.
If you try sometimes, ya get whatchya need.

If you try sometimes, you might find, you get whatcha need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies