U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,481,610 times

Advertisements

Typical C-D poster...

Poor? What poor? Who's poor?...I don't see no poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No one says they want to live poor but they don't consider the welfare life to be living poor. Te welfare life isn't about not knowing what the future brings, they assume the future will bring at least the same amount of food stamps, WIC coupons, utility payments, clothing allowance, and housing. In fact if they have another baby, they assume there will be more of everything.

Those living on welfare have the least uncertainty, certainly less than working types who aren't sure their employer will be able to keep the same number of employees or who may see property taxes go up. Those living on welfare have much faith in their government to come through and always be there for them, they have faith the food stamp card will be filled on time, as it always is. They have faith that the doctor's office isn't going to charge them a co-pay because Medicaid pays everything.

that's why i support gradually reducing welfare benefits after a certain amount of time, say 12 months.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Quote:
1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck? Sometimes
2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society? Often
3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? Yes, I am "working" and "poor". And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor." Do I deem? I don't "deem" anything. I go by factual numbers. I do not have the latest numbers so do not have an answer for this.
4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family? I have. I have helped. And they continued to be poor by continually making poor choices. I stopped helping.
5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do. See above.

The "factual" numbers by which you go are badly flawed, because they are based on a flawed premise.

The "factual" numbers consider only cash income, and ignore all non-cash government and private transfers. The "factual" numbers also ignore cost of living and actual living standards.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Thanks to most of our jobs being sent to China...........yeah cheap TV's

(singing) i want my cheaptv...

Old 05-13-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A lot of them are perfectly fine with their income level. My average life-time earnings work out to $11,800 since 1980. That's because I was in the military a long time and because I went to university full-time and part-time for 9 years and I don't work very much.

And you bought a house (got a mortgage) how?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
If you're on any kind of aid and you have a flatscreen t.v. and/or X-box you're not poor.

so if they sold flatscreen and xbox (for what, $200?) they'd be poor?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 AM

9,427 posts, read 5,521,471 times
well we have more poor when you have a welfare system and a open border...

Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
well we have more poor when you have a welfare system and a open border...
The open border makes some people rich though....

Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,864,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of years, and I've often put out the accusation that most conservatives hate poor people. Conservatives, of course vehemently deny it and say that they don't know anyone who feels that way, so I thought I'd start this thread and ask this honest question. What is your attitude toward the poor?

1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck?
2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society?
3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor."
4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family?
5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do.

You might think I'm trolling, but I'm actually curious, since you all deny that you hate poor people. I promise I'll read your responses with an open mnd. I swear.

Thanks
mackinac
Conservatives I know, myself included, give generously to charity to help poor people. Liberals that I know get angry when they find out I give to charities. They only want the government to help the poor. Is it because they are selfish with their own money but generous with taxpayers money?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

iT'S BEEN provided i before this is from the Census Bureau not sure I can provide any better for you. All of you are making excuses for people to not get it on their own. What's even funnier how many of you that are complaining say what you provide or do for the poor, Besides your out time rant on CD!!

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.
Sad day to be poor in America, no wonder other countries see us as whiners..........it's called the Liberal side of America the rest of us know how to get it on our own.

Wow, this always causes me to rolleyes.

:Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio. Everything i've seen suggests that very very few poor households actually BUY homes - for one thing it's difficult to imagine a poor person qualifying for a mortgage. Some poor people inherit homes; inheritance of some level is common in this country, so there will always be SOME poor people who own their homes. Some poor people are able to buy homes at preferential price and terms from family members; I know someone who bought her home while on welfare from her grandmother for nothing down and monthly payments lower than rent. some poor peoplle are disabled and bought their homes before they becamme disabled, when they were working and earning higher incomes. It appears most poor homeowners are retired and bought their homes during their working years, when they had higher incomes. Some homeowners own trailers, and low-end trailers can be had a lot cheaper than conventional houses. most poor homeowners do not have mortgage payments, which affords them a higher standard of living than many "not poor" low-wage workers paying steep rents. So "43 percent of poor housesholds actually own their home" doesn't tell me a whole lot, by itself. Oh, and what retired person needs a three-bedroom house?

Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning. Homes have been built to higher standards over time; air conditioning has been fairly standard in newly-built homes, in most parts of the country, for some time now. even rental housing, where 57 percent of the poor live, is usually built today with air conditioning, because landlords are including it as an amenity to attract better tenants. housing is built to middle class standards, whether poor people want or can afford it.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. Again, housing is built to middle class standards (larger houses over time), plus household size has been decreasing. Landlords also have something to do with this, as many will not rent to applicants who will overcrowd their property.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. That's because, again, housing is built to middle class standards, whether the poor want or can afford it. Middle class standards are much lower in Europe.

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars. Again, many poor households (seniors, disabled) acquired their cars before they became poor. Many of these cars are clunkers or are older cars. Two cars might be a sign of poverty rather than affluence - I once owned two clunkers worth next to nothing, I needed a reliable way to get to work but couldn't afford to buy one good reliable car.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions. This one is really weak - used color televisions are readily available (esp pre-HD) really cheap. I've seen old color tvs given away for free, so this can't be an indicator of affluence.

Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception. VCR / DVD is weak also. Having cable or satellite tv serves as a cheap babysitter for the underclass, and sometimes it is included in the rent people pay. i rented a room in a house where the owner put a satellite feed in every room as a way to keep his rooms rented.

Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher. I really doubt 89 percent OWN microwave ovens. I rent a room in a house with a microwave oven but I definitely do not own the microwave. Used microwaves are dirt cheap, as are stereos ($10 at Goodwill). Automatic dishwashers sometimes are included with apartments as an amenity for marketing purposes, my aunt rented an apartment with dishwasher for years until her building went condo and she bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies