U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM

6,156 posts, read 3,988,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Can you please cite Chapter and Verse? I searched for "lazy bum" in my King James Bible and no matches were found.
Well it does say in the bible that those who will not work should not eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,131,306 times
Default Conservatives: How do you REALLY feel about the poor???

"The poor" consists of three groups: those who will eventually figure out how to be of value to the rest of society, those who are unwilling to do so, and those who are unable to do so.

Many young people fit into the first category...I did, once upon a time. They will figure things out and find a way. I love these people: their progress will make us all richer.

Those who are unwilling to figure out a way to be of value are the ones that raise everyone's ire. I pity them for their needless, self-inflicted victimhood.

Those who are unable to be of value to the rest of society, due to illness or incapacity, are the ones that deserve the protection of society. I respect them.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,252,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
+1

Liberals like the OP substitute phony emotions and stereotypes in place of actual material resources. This is the same phony crapola charge thrown at "Christians".

But when the charge is thrown back in the accuser is asked what they are doing to walk their ideology.......the cricket orchestra starts playing.

So, how many poor people did this topic feed - maybe ZERO???

God forbid if you actually had to "associate" with the poor!
Well, I didn't want to say anything because it would be like bragging but...

1. I sponsor a five year old boy from Peru through a Christian ministry.
2. I give regularly to my church which supports humanitarian and mission efforts around the globe.
3. I like to give when I can to friends in need.
4. Against my better judgment, probably, I carry cash or restaruant gift cards on me lest I run into a beggar on the street.
5. I taught for two years in an impoverished part of North Carolina. I saw things there that appalled me. I also saw people who made bad choices.

I guess the way I see it, since I have a steady job, and since my economic situation has actually improved since the recession started it's my duty to be one of the givers in society. Not being self righteous, but I'm walking my walk too.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM

87 posts, read 75,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I find it funny how most of the same conservatives who will rail on about deadbeats sucking off of welfare, and yell how people "need to get a job", will go to church on sunday, and talk about family values. Yeah that's exactly the message christ gave about the poor "Amen, i say unto you, stop sucking off the dole you lazy bum".

Yes, actually, He did.

Matthew 25:14-30

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Parable of the Talents

14 "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. 15To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money. 19Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.' 21His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' 22And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.' 23His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' 24He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' 26But his master answered him, 'You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...30&version=ESV

Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM

954 posts, read 1,479,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, I didn't want to say anything because it would be like bragging but...

1. I sponsor a five year old boy from Peru through a Christian ministry.
2. I give regularly to my church which supports humanitarian and mission efforts around the globe.
3. I like to give when I can to friends in need.
4. Against my better judgment, probably, I carry cash or restaruant gift cards on me lest I run into a beggar on the street.
5. I taught for two years in an impoverished part of North Carolina. I saw things there that appalled me. I also saw people who made bad choices.

I guess the way I see it, since I have a steady job, and since my economic situation has actually improved since the recession started it's my duty to be one of the givers in society. Not being self righteous, but I'm walking my walk too.
Not bragging - and I guarantee the people you do your best to help really don't care what your political, ideological, or religious affiliations or beliefs are.

I try to give to give as much as I can to our local food bank (and I'm NO saint) but I really get tired of the biggest finger pointers are also the ones who do nothing.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Not bragging - and I guarantee the people you do your best to help really don't care what your political, ideological, or religious affiliations or beliefs are.

I try to give to give as much as I can to our local food bank (and I'm NO saint) but I really get tired of the biggest finger pointers are also the ones who do nothing.
I doubt they do. When you're living hand to mouth, my opinions are of secondary importance. I know where you're coming from though. I was pretty hypocritical before and it bothered me a lot. Then this summer I got a much better paying job and I said to myself that I better start doing this now or else I won't have a leg to stand on--besides, it's simply the right thing to do. Especially in a recession, the haves have an obligation to help the have nots--especially when they're struggling to get better.

I think the main difference is that for liberals like me, most poor are "working poor" who would work, but can't catch a break. Truly, many poor are that way because of their bad choices. I've met many personally. But I don't think that's as prevalent as people think. I simply don't.

Conservatives, on the other hand, think that most poor are not "working poor" but that they did something wrong to get themselves in that situation. I see it a lot on the forum: Liberals default to one view and conservatives default to another. Just my observation.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"The poor" consists of three groups: those who will eventually figure out how to be of value to the rest of society, those who are unwilling to do so, and those who are unable to do so.

Many young people fit into the first category...I did, once upon a time. They will figure things out and find a way. I love these people: their progress will make us all richer.

Those who are unwilling to figure out a way to be of value are the ones that raise everyone's ire. I pity them for their needless, self-inflicted victimhood.

Those who are unable to be of value to the rest of society, due to illness or incapacity, are the ones that deserve the protection of society. I respect them.
I actually agree with this. I think the difference between liberals and conservatives is what proportion is in which group.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,976,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of years, and I've often put out the accusation that most conservatives hate poor people. Conservatives, of course vehemently deny it and say that they don't know anyone who feels that way, so I thought I'd start this thread and ask this honest question. What is your attitude toward the poor?

1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck?
2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society?
3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor."
4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family?
5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do.

You might think I'm trolling, but I'm actually curious, since you all deny that you hate poor people. I promise I'll read your responses with an open mnd. I swear.

Thanks
mackinac
It's a mix of bad luck, worthless scum and those who are busting their butts at work but will never get ahead due to lack of skills. I think the latter is the smallest group. The bad luck folks are content to be poor and are not "bad" people per se as their goal is not to work the system. I think this is the largest subsection. Those who do take advantage, I think there are as many of them as the working poor.

I think most folks can change their situation if they try hard enough. Some need skills but just don't have the means to attain them. Welfare is necessary but it is no longer a hand up, as it should be, but an unending gravy train for many, esp those with multiple kids.

I have some friends who are poor as well as some family. I treat them just like any person who has more money. I just expect less as far as going to lunch, going out, etc. My family, I talk about all the time on here b/c they fit into the scum of the earth category, unfortunately, and it makes me really mad.

I have given a variety of donations over the years, from grabbing the little "Feed the Poor" donation slips in the checkout at the grocery to tons of toys for Christmas programs, stuff at church and even participating in a program that gives socks with toiletries and snacks to the homeless (put everything into one sock and the socks are then distributed in winter). Ive donated a crapload of canned goods, too. A couple weeks ago, I tried to get our restaurant involved with the Coats for Kids program but was too late to get started. We have several employees with little money and when I clean out the pantry, I give stuff to them instead of tossing it.

I'm a conservative and always accused of hating the poor. As you can see, I do not.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryren8972 View Post
Yes, actually, He did.

Matthew 25:14-30

English Standard Version (ESV)

The Parable of the Talents

14 "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. 15To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money. 19Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.' 21His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.[c] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' 22And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, 'Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.' 23His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' 24He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.' 26But his master answered him, 'You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Matthew 25:14-30 ESV - The Parable of the Talents "For it will - Bible Gateway

I think you are missing the concept of a parable.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,137,837 times
WestCobbDo fast food places hire the homeless, 3? Where do they shower?
There's places you can go the river always has water.

What address do they put down on the application?
Here you can get a P.O. Box for $30.00 a year, put down the cigarettes and they can afford one. How about all the tattoo's some have, are those free these days.

Let's say they both get jobs. They would get an average of around 30 hours a week, at $7 an hour that's $210 each x 2 = $420 x 4 = $1680. Is that enough for rent, utilities, food, etc?[/quote]

How much do you think they are making sitting there with a bucket in front of them asking for people passing by to put money in??

Geez I wonder how any of us that graduated in the 70's and 80's ever made it. Sometimes you just have to figure it out and do what you need to do to make something of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies