Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
It seems to me that a high percentage of wealthy people are liberal. Why is it that most of the states and metropolitan areas with the highest per-capital incomes - San Francisco Bay area, greater New York City, metropolitan Washington D.C., states like Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and New Jersey - are among the most liberal metropolitan areas and states in the USA?
I don't have time at the moment to point out the myriad of flaws in your argument beside the fact that it's a great big Non-sequitur/Argumentum ad populum so for the time being, I submit this for your consideration:

Perhaps...

A) Wealthy people who can absorb expense prefer tax and regulation that can destroy any upstarts who might be competitors?

B) The wealthy like so-called social programs that trap minorities in the inner cities forever so they don't get too close to their shining manicured suburbs?

C) By pandering to minorities they buy the vote of minorities who ensure the politicos that put the screws to competitors and keep the minorities in place remain in power?

D) All of the above

Whether you realize it or not, there are two types of Liberals. There are actual well educated and wealthy liberals who are not your friend and there are masses of poorly educated (And yes, most who claim to be liberal or more correctly, democrat, are poorly educated.) who are quite simply too naive to realize they are getting screwed mightily by the very people they adore. When every promise is broken as is par for the course, the Liberal elite simply blame it on the opposition's obstructionism and the poor fools don't have enough education or real life experience to see through the BS. In a way I feel pity for them.

Granted the same is true of the other side of the coin but to a lesser extent not due to any virtuosity on the part of conservative leaders but more due to a somewhat better educated serf-force.

The biggest difference is that the Conservative Elite are out for themselves and don't care about you while the Liberal elite are out for themselves but see you as nothing more than an expendable commodity to be used and used up for their convenience.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 11-13-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: pour schpellin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,523,180 times
The two in my family are very, conservative. A third one is truly middle-of-the-road, sighing at times, saying that she's "too conservative" for her friends, and "a little to liberal" for her family.

I can imagine that more are liberal than conservative because young minds of mush can have a very difficult time surviving the Marxist-leaning Professors in our Institutions of Higher Ed.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The two in my family are very, conservative. A third one is truly middle-of-the-road, sighing at times, saying that she's "too conservative" for her friends, and "a little to liberal" for her family.

I can imagine that more are liberal than conservative because young minds of mush can have a very difficult time surviving the Marxist-leaning Professors in our Institutions of Higher Ed.
Why is that surprising? We train our kids to accept nonsense almost from birth by feeding them Santa, tooth fairy, bogeyman, easter bunny, and a whole host of BS. By the time they are in high school they've figured out their parents have been feeding them a load of crap from the get-go. Since they already know their parents are liars but have not been taught how to separate fact from BS, they are more than willing to accept the first BS story that differs from the crap their parents have been feeding them. I would hazard a guess the best way to keep your kids from buying into the nonsense would be to quit subjecting them to a diet of nonsense in the first place.

I mean get real. A child loves and trusts their parents unconditionally yet the parents make a point of betraying that trust with total BS and then wonder why their kids would rather listen to some sociopathic freak than them. Perhaps if parents gave their grown kids a reason to trust them in the first place...
Just sayin'.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,159,269 times
Most Engineers will tend to be a bit more conservative. Engineers tend to see things in black and white, there is no room for grey. Engineering disciplines require precision.

The definition of an engineer,
An optimist sees a cup half full, a pessimist, half empty, an engineer sees a cup 2 time larger than it's required to be to contain the contents supplied.

No judgement, just a direct assessment, precision.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 6,276 times
I'm a web developer, and am both socially and fiscally conservative. That said, I'd estimate 1/3 of my co-workers to be conservative, 1/3 moderately liberal, and 1/3 extreme liberals.

Of course, I live in the extreme left-wing state of Maryland, so take that as you will.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,616,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I guess it's safe to say that those who are employed as urban crack dealers, car jackers and gangstahs lean to the more liberal side of the spectrum.
Nonsense. They are conservatives.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM

1,329 posts, read 829,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Why Are So Many Terrorists Engineers? - NYTimes.com
Why do so many terrorists have engineering degrees? - Slate Magazine

An engineering background is a statistically significant predictor of future religious fundamentalism and terrorist involvement. A lot of engineering/cs students I knew in college fit the mold..

"The engineer mind-set, Gambetta and Hertog suggest, might be a mix of emotional conservatism and intellectual habits that prefers clear answers to ambiguous questions — “the combination of a sharp mind with a loyal acceptance of authority.” Do people become engineers because they are this way? Or does engineering work shape them? It’s probably a feedback loop of both, Gambetta says. "

"Emotional conservativism" sums it up.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Young people and minorities usually vote liberal, older whites or people who have great jobs usually vote conservative obviously.

Most people making 6 figures don't vote liberal.

People usually protect there interest which is mostly money.
A lot of people making six figures vote liberal. Professionals/People with Advanced degrees and particularly Attorneys tend to vote overwhelmingly Democratic

Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM

24,373 posts, read 22,986,934 times
They may identify themselves as liberal but I would venture to say that they probably are not informed of political issues and probably don't even care.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Fields such as technology, arts, entertainment, education, as well as other creative and advancement positions are held by those who are generally more liberal, while fields that deal with greed, power, and cronyism such as the banking industry, arms manufactures, big oil and wall street appeal more towards conservatives.
To correct this, people tasked by the oligarchy that controls the media, who are more inclined to promote the moral degeneration of society and are well placed within the arts, are more inclined to be leftists, whereas those who are in the business of maintaining society, building things and making sure stuff works are more inclined to cherish the freedoms given to us by our founding fathers, thus tend to be conservative.

It's funny how a slant can change how you view things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies