U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,009,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Yes, pleaze, your boogie man fears don't mean anything. The important facts were reported, her party had nothing to do with the accident.
uh, huh.

It's gonna be interesting to watch the bloviating (and lying) next time a Republican goes astray.

I won't be watching, though. My ignore list is getting quite large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM

54,200 posts, read 38,256,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
She probably attended the Ted Kennedy school of driving.

If she had been a republican, it would have been in all the headlines across the country.
Funny I don't remember seeing any headlines when Bush & Cheney got their DWIs.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM

1,102 posts, read 930,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny I don't remember seeing any headlines when Bush & Cheney got their DWIs.
A DWI hardly compares to Ted Kennedys' actions in the Chappaquiddick incident that resulted in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne...and his leaving the sceen of the accident and failure to report the accident

Ted Kennedy: Chappaquiddick Incident - Telegraph

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM

7,310 posts, read 6,907,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post

Damn if that was anyone else they would be doing 15-20
How do you know? Did you personally interview everyone on the Grand Jury who refused to indict her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

It appears that the standard for a conviction under existing Texas statutes there are only two possible charges, criminally negligent homicide, and manslaughter and the standard for both are pretty high.
Yeah, I mean, I get being outraged at someone wanting to legislate enforcing others to do what they don't do themselves (hypocritical much?), and being angry and saddened that a woman is dead due to someone's poor driving, but why are everyone's panties in a bunch at the woman for the "punishment" (or lack there-of) that she got and not upset that Texas law and a Grand Jury only saw fit to give her that punishment. I mean, it's not like she sentenced herself here.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM

3,614 posts, read 2,952,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It appears that the standard for a conviction under existing Texas statutes there are only two possible charges, criminally negligent homicide, and manslaughter and the standard for both are pretty high.
Local man here got three years for manslaughter after an elderly couple died in a car accident. The man was driving the speed limit (55) during a foggy day when the couple pulled out of a side-street into traffic. At 55, the guy didn't have time to see or stop for the couple. T-boned 'em.

Judge found that he was driving too fast for the conditions and charged him with manslaughter, ruining the guy's life and giving him three years prison.

And this senator gets a $300 fine?

As for the penal code of Texas...
Quote:
Sec. 19.04. MANSLAUGHTER. (a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.
As for "reckless..."

Quote:
source
The legal definition for reckless is defined by Tex.Pen.C. 6.03(c). That provision states, “ A person acts recklessly, or is reckless, with respect to circumstances surrounding his conduct or the result of his conduct when he is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor’s standpoint.”
But even if you don't consider her actions "negligent," a pithy $300 fine for the wrongful and avoidable death of another?

Money can buy better lawyers, which makes me wonder just how equal under the law we really are.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

7,310 posts, read 6,907,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

Local man here got three years for manslaughter after an elderly couple died in a car accident. The man was driving the speed limit (55) during a foggy day when the couple pulled out of a side-street into traffic. At 55, the guy didn't have time to see or stop for the couple. T-boned 'em.

Judge found that he was driving too fast for the conditions and charged him with manslaughter, ruining the guy's life and giving him three years prison.

And this senator gets a $300 fine?

As for the penal code of Texas...
As for "reckless..."

But even if you don't consider her actions "negligent," a pithy $300 fine for the wrongful and avoidable death of another?

Money can buy better lawyers, which makes me wonder just how equal under the law we really are.
Holy shiznizzles, batman, if that guy was driving 55 in FOG, he was absolutely negligent. It matters not that the speed limit was 55; those limits are just that, limits, and are meant to be adhered to under ideal conditions, not adverse conditions. I'm betting that the jury found that had he been traveling at a more appropriate speed in those conditions he might have avoided the collision altogether, or at least not cause two people to die being hit at the full 55mph.

And in the case of the woman in the OP, we still don't know what caused her to drift. My sister-in-law was on a long stretch of desolate highway in the desert part of Colorado and the monotony of the landscape and the thumping of the road caused her to fall asleep at the wheel (she was not tired when she started and had not been driving for any real length of time).

Unfortunately, while the family was at the gas station shortly before that, they'd all unbuckled their previously-buckled seat belts, which she didn't know or notice when she pulled away. So when her head bobbed and the tires hit the soft shoulder, causing the car to flip, it sent her son flying out the rear window. Thank Og there just so happened to be a couple of off-duty EMTs driving the other direction within minutes of the accident who were able to render aid and call for a helicopter to take my nephew to a hospital or he would not have survived the lacerated liver he suffered in the accident.

Should my sister-in-law be in prison for what was unarguably merely an accident?

You're right about one thing, though: Our system of "justice" is a joke. We aren't even close to being equal under the law.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,380,062 times
year + old thread. why? The Elite can legally kill the peasants any time they want.

When they kill mc riders they don't even get we fine.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
She probably attended the Ted Kennedy school of driving.

If she had been a republican, it would have been in all the headlines across the country.
Exactly -- did Ted Kennedy even get a fine for drowning that poor intern who was partying with him that night?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,380,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly -- did Ted Kennedy even get a fine for drowning that poor intern who was partying with him that night?
You being sarcastic? Anyway the answer is NO.... Teddy cheated on his wife, and killed that girl, swimming away and in the end it was the girls fault for dying..... teddy did everything he could swimming away...

And the people worshipped Teddy. he isn't really dead either. his carcass is so filled with booze it will never rot away, so teddy will just get about as ugly as Pelosi, and the 2 of them will last almost forever.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,269,605 times
If I were the Senator in that situation I would have given half my life savings to the medical expenses incurred by the victim and her family. Even then there would be nothing I wouldn't do including jail time as a public statement for gross negligence. Her doing nothing more than paying a $300 fine shows her to be a worthless politician of the worst order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies