U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,666,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
" “Eliminate work to protect workers. If you don’t work, you can’t be hurt on the job. Who can argue with that?”"

This sums up the insanity of the idiots in DC anymore. Leave the damn farmers alone. This I'm sure goes back to Obama's exec order to regulate the farming industry. First it was force anyone driving a tractor to get a CDL. Now put folks out of work. Hell my kid made around fifteen hundred bucks for two weeks work detassling corn. That's a lot of dough for 14yo. I guess he's back to the xbox now to get fat.
I used to detassle corn for DeKalb during the 1960s when I lived in Nebraska. The hours were long, but the work was not difficult or unsafe. It also paid better than working at a fast-food joint or busing tables and washing dishes in some restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,375,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You are an evil parent for teaching your daughter skills that would make her employable and independent. Don't you know she is supposed to become a single teen mom with multiple baby-daddies living off welfare? Who are you to deprive the government of another dependent? That child belongs to the STATE, not to you!

You go Mom!

(please tell me you've taught your daughter to hunt with evil weapons as well!)
Sure did...Cindi can gut a deer as fast has anyone.

She has killed deer with a cross-bow and a rifle.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 AM

32,979 posts, read 30,230,881 times
I drove a combine and tractor by age 10. If I hadn't it would have cost our family farm a lot of money and time getting things done. Being the only male child I inherited a lot of the things my Dad and Grandfather were tasked with.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sure did...Cindi can gut a deer as fast has anyone.

She has killed deer with a cross-bow and a rifle.
I would not be so sure about that. You are not as likely to encounter many predators in the lower-48, so there is no real motivation to hurry. Whereas in Alaska a lot of us (including myself) use a chainsaw filled with peanut oil, instead of bar oil, in order to quickly quarter the critter and get the meat to a secure location before the grizzly/brown bears and wolves arrive.

I think it is great that she has learned how to hunt. I consider it a necessary part of every child's education, regardless of gender.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not be so sure about that. You are not as likely to encounter many predators in the lower-48, so there is no real motivation to hurry. Whereas in Alaska a lot of us (including myself) use a chainsaw filled with peanut oil, instead of bar oil, in order to quickly quarter the critter and get the meat to a secure location before the grizzly/brown bears and wolves arrive.

I think it is great that she has learned how to hunt. I consider it a necessary part of every child's education, regardless of gender.
I stand corrected...Cindi can gut a deer as fast as anyone around here....

Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,149,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The next time I hear someone claim Obama's administration creating a multitude of new regulations isn't hurting small business, here's a great example. This regulation will hurt small family farms the worst. Oh 2012 can't come soon enough.

I actually have fond memories of working on the farm as a child. Lot of cucumber picking. Our town had a local manufacturer that made pickles...lots of pickles. I think it took me 10 years before I could forget the smell of those pickle vats being changes...yuck! Yeah that last bit was off topic but I got caught in a bit of memory lane there.
Speaking of off topic, I have a friend who also worked in the pickle factory. He was fired because he put his thingie in the pickle slicer. She got fired too.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I stand corrected...Cindi can gut a deer as fast as anyone around here....
I hunted a lot in Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and California before I moved to Alaska. It never occurred to me that other critters may be interested in my kill. I would bury the gut pile, but did not see a need to move the carcass until after I was done skinning and quartering.

Now, if it is a caribou I bury the gut pile and then move the carcass a good hundred yards away from that gut pile before I start work. Unfortunately, I am not able to do that with moose. They are so big that you have to field dress them where they drop. Which is why the first rule of moose hunting is: "Never shoot a moose standing in water!" I had to relearn almost all my hunting and fishing skills after I moved to Alaska.

Having hands-on hunting and fishing skills grounds children in reality, in my opinion. It does not matter if they later decide to move to a city and never hunt or fish again, at least they will always know where their food comes from and what is involved to put it on the dinning-room table. For us to live, something else must die.

It is just as important for children to learn the value of their labor, and I am not referring to cleaning their room or household chores. When I was 12 we lived on a ranch in Saugus, CA, and there was a "dude ranch" nearby that rented horses. I wanted to learn to ride a horse, so in return for my labor, saddling horses for the tourists for a few hours, I got free riding lessons at the end of every day. I considered the exchange perfectly equitable. If it had been today, instead of the 1960s, the owner of that dude ranch would probably end up in jail or at the very least fined for exploiting child labor.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,127,579 times
Won't stop making my kids work...Try and catch us...Never gonna happen..My 14 yr old princess throwing bales
Attachment 85786

Last edited by my54ford; 08-17-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Won't stop making my kids work...Try and catch us...Never gonna happen..My 14 yr old princess throwing bales
Attachment 85786
I did LOTS of that as a kid!!!

You have a very nice looking young lady.......

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM

11,891 posts, read 15,874,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Attachment 85786
Wow! We'd like to have some of that greenery down here on the Texas High Plains. We did get a half inch of rain this morning but we still need about 16" to get to our annual average of 17" this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies