U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM

4,095 posts, read 7,216,158 times

Advertisements

I bring up Jesus because so many conservative "values" politicians mention him to sell their anything-but-Christian policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 11,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
For conservatives, military strength a "values" issue - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I thought that "traditional values" were at least in part supposed to be tied to the bible, or at least our founding fathers. At least that's how these right wingers tried to gain the legitimacy needed to take rights away from gays and women.

Now are they trying to say that healing our sick and teaching our children should be sacrificed in order to bomb people in other countries and get ourselves in entangling alliances. Just like Jesus would have done? Just like Jefferson and Washington would have done?

I now have no idea what exactly these people stand for. I see no Jesus, no constitutional precedence, just belligerence and rationalization of whatever they do as "traditional values." Can someone help me out?
It's all just a sham. Any real christian would not support the GOP as they stand for pretty much against everything the bible teaches. In their eyes being a "good christian" mean to carry a gun, support violence, hate gays and forcing woman what they can and can not do with their bodies.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 AM

19,762 posts, read 13,383,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's all just a sham. Any real christian would not support the GOP as they stand for pretty much against everything the bible teaches. In their eyes being a "good christian" mean to carry a gun, support violence, hate gays and forcing woman what they can and can not do with their bodies.
In other words, today's fundamentalist "Christian" is not far apart from today's fundamentalist Muslim.

Both put the mental in Fundamentalist.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,339,234 times
Quote:
Really, I am a real Christian and I support the GOP.

Carrying a gun is a Christian value because we are suppose to protect our families.

We do not support violence, nothing like a broad brush to hide a lack of facts.

We do not hate gays, we only know that they are living in sin and currently for some reason trying to force us to accept their sin as natural. This makes us a bit testy perhaps, but hate... no.

We never tell a woman what they can and cannot do with their bodies, but I am assuming you are speaking of abortion, and what they are doing effects not only their bodies but the body of their unborn child. This is where we have a problem, abortion is murder. Murder is a sin. See the pattern here?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 AM

10,728 posts, read 11,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Really, I am a real Christian and I support the GOP.

Carrying a gun is a Christian value because we are suppose to protect our families.

We do not hate gays, we only know that they are living in sin and currently for some reason trying to force us to accept their sin as natural. This makes us a bit testy perhaps, but hate... no.

We never tell a woman what they can and cannot do with their bodies, but I am assuming you are speaking of abortion, and what they are doing effects not only their bodies but the body of their unborn child. This is where we have a problem, abortion is murder. Murder is a sin. See the pattern here?
This is the thing many people think that's all it takes. The bible also heavily focuses on peace and helping the needy, where the GOP promotes executions, warmongering and essentially saying to hell with the needy. It also teaches that greed is a sin, but the GOP strives itself it in. To love all but the GOP promotes hate to those not "on their side",,etc.
The GOP in itself for the most part is exactly against what most of the bible teaches. Jesus would be a full blown hard left liberal.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 AM

15,727 posts, read 9,178,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Where does the Bible say that? Jesus said to hate your family and put him first.

Quote:
The GOP is very very pro military/war, so yes, you do.

Quote:
The Bible does not condemn gays, the majority of you just don't have the foggiest clue what it's talking about. And yes, claiming people who are born with an attraction to the same sex as "living in sin" is hating gays. Jesus said not a word about gay people.

Quote:
Abortion is not murder, by the very definition of it, and abortion is allowed in the Bible so long as it doesn't hurt the mother. Since, "thou shalt not murder" is in the Torah, you are trying to follow Jewish law, and Judaism does not forbid abortion.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:24 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,272,517 times
Quote:
I realized it was a sham about three years ago as an evangelical christian who grew up being told (in so many words) that good christians vote Republican and that bad ones vote democrat. Now, aside from still being pro-life, I have become fairly liberal. Most of the GOP's positions and attitudes are completely antithetical to the gospel.

WWJS (What Would Jesus Say?)

Old 10-09-2011, 09:31 AM

19,216 posts, read 12,528,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I realized it was a sham about three years ago as an evangelical christian who grew up being told (in so many words) that good christians vote Republican and that bad ones vote democrat. Now, aside from still being pro-life, I have become fairly liberal. Most of the GOP's positions and attitudes are completely antithetical to the gospel.

WWJS (What Would Jesus Say?)
Jesus was a Jack Jew, man.

Jack Mormons, Jack Baptists, Jack Catholics - They are all following Jesus.

Word around Helena, Montana in the 70's was that I was a Cracker-Jack Businessman.

Now, I'm just Jack.

Uh, like, No Schit, Jack, that is!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,399,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you have any more examples of this behavior, other than CBS. I'm not trusting this is how this gathering was played out.

Why bring Jesus into your game?? I don't see this war or any other war being Jesus. Even though President Bush said God was using him, who's to say he's not right. There's end times and it has to start somewhere. Just because someone's used by God, doesn't mean he's going to make them look good.

I don't agree with sending our kids to war, but the last I saw, they do volunteer, there's a difference. Also, not sure everyone in the service or in charge of our military are Christians, I think you're assuming.

Must remember most of the Democrats and Liberals, some not Christian, were for the war until they were against it.
But why do they do that? For instance because
- people grow up in a society that worships guns, violence, nationalism, and the military
- people are lured into the military by professional recruiters promising them this and that

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

5,235 posts, read 3,029,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
This isn't about Obama, and he's not the one constantly preaching "traditional" values and Biblical doctrines to be followed.
No Obama preaches out of the Old Testament in Rev. Wrights church and then skews the message to his view.He will pay one day for mocking GODS words....Obama's values are from his Marxist father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or