U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 PM

32,204 posts, read 39,469,539 times

Advertisements

Star Trek VI: Shakespeare Quotes - YouTube

I like Shakespeare.

Do you know any klingon opera? - YouTube

And opera.

Do you get paid to start these dumb threads?

I ask because this same thread topic has popped up on two different waterfowl hunting sites I'm on.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-08-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 02:49 PM

29,988 posts, read 36,015,691 times
Yes I enjoy art and music. I reject the OP's flawed assumption that "usually art and music are used for expression in order to convey a message to the authority".

Often art and music reflect the beauty of the world around us without making any political statements at all. This is the art and music I prefer. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
........Do you get paid to start these dumb threads?
It is highly likely as there are a few far left wing posters who troll with the Soros agenda talking points just starting thread, after thread, after thread. It is well known that many of the Soros funded organization pay useful idiots to troll the net for them.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:52 PM

20,009 posts, read 15,249,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The Democrats are now the moderates.
LOL, democrats are trying to play to as big of a tent as possible. Very dangerous move considering liberals have sat out 2010 and are looking to do the same in 2012.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 PM

29,026 posts, read 15,648,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

I ask this question because it seems like conservatives don't like to hear the little guy. They have the notion that if you don't get your way, then tough luck.
"don't like to hear the little guy?"

Millions of conservatives are "little guys".

Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,176,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Usually art and music are used for expression in order to convey a message to the authority. Those who are not able to make changes to society, prefer to use music and art to express their sentiments.
Putting aside the debate that "music is art," which somebody will probably feel the need to harp on:

I enjoy music.

I do not enjoy "art" (despite being a good artist) all that much.

Neither one of these things do I view as having any deeper social significance than as mere forms of entertainment. If they were to [somehow] vanish from culture, I think the world would get along just fine, and might in many ways be better off without it, as we could focus on more intellectual pursuits (note: I merely said "might").

I don't disagree with people when they say it is socially important for entertainment. However I have an unfavorable opinion of those people who go out of their way to be part of the unique sect which elevates "the arts" upon a lofty pedestal such that they genuinely believe that it should be treated as if it should have an equal footing with science, engineering, and math (or worse yet, when they they consider the arts to be significantly more important than math, engineering, and science).

As for arts being used as a means to convey a political message, I have at a minimum a neutral position on that, if not bordering on unfavorable opinion. I dislike the premise for the same reason I dislike works of fiction being used to convey political messages. I think it's a waste of time (I dislike the genre of fiction in its entirety) and think it is more efficient to simply get ones message across by speaking directly of ones views, instead of wrapping the opinion up in children's storybook format. However, I respect peoples freedom to waste their time by expressing themselves inefficiently, if they so choose to do so.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 10-08-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,734,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
LOL, democrats are trying to play to as big of a tent as possible. Very dangerous move considering liberals have sat out 2010 and are looking to do the same in 2012.
Summers, you can join the Democrats too. No need to feel left out. Why not join the winning team?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

12,050 posts, read 6,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is highly likely as there are a few far left wing posters who troll with the Soros agenda talking points just starting thread, after thread, after thread. It is well known that many of the Soros funded organization pay useful idiots to troll the net for them.
If they are paid by the quality of their threads that might explain the high volume.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,570,633 times
I am an artist, love most art, and I probably listen to more kinds of music than most people. (Same with books, by the way.) Music is one of my passions.

I am also very conservative about most things.

Pointless thread.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM

11,892 posts, read 15,879,086 times
Liberals like art, Art Bell.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,802,965 times
Quote:
Conservatives, do You Enjoy Art and Music?
Yes, conservatives enjoy culture. They read books, listen to music, enjoy art, and go to the movies. The fact that you would even ask such a ridiculous question shows just how brainwashed you've been by the liberal media into thinking that "conservatives" are "the others" i.e. "the bad guys", "God-loving puritanical gun nuts" etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or