U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,070 posts, read 15,263,791 times
Reputation: 11788

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I live in a very liberal town, usually no Republican even bothers to run so I pretty much do know how liberals are -- first hand. I've never met a liberal yet who was at all critical of Clinton or his NAFTA and not many question any of Obama's policies either. Even Libya is a good kind of war -- it has to be as a democrat started it.

Not so liberal, if the current recall initiative is any indication.

Why, oh, why do people insist on crediting Clinton with NAFTA, Oh, sure, he signed the thing, but, he sure didn't develop it or nuture it to fruition. That was all Bush I.
Regardless, I think that it is a bit disengenous to leave out how much Texas benefits overall from trade with Mexico. Also a bit disengenous to paint 'liberals' with such a broad brush when it was a staunchly conservative member of the Texas legislature that wanted the loophole for domestic and landscape workers included in the recent immigration bill.

Daily Kos: Debbie "Terror Babies" Riddle Creates The Laundry Loophole!!-

So, who is it wants all that cheap labor? Why the upstanding members of the Chambers of Commerce, of course.

As for the OP: as someone else noted, Mr. Cain has well-practiced his sound bites. And of course in the simplistic universe that he and so many other R's inhabit, everything will be magically fixed with new occupants in the WH. And Obama supporters are accused of having a Messiah complex.

Cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Austin
28,986 posts, read 15,556,909 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
But Paul's solution is LESS government, while the protesters' seem to be calling for MORE government control.

I think Paul agrees with them on what the problem is... Crony Capitalism. But I doubt that he agrees with their solution which is socialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Austin
28,986 posts, read 15,556,909 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The government is a problem. But actually, Wall Street is a big problem, too.

Fix government and Wall Street gets fixed too.

Get rid of Crony Capitalism and the nanny state and corporate bail outs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Austin
28,986 posts, read 15,556,909 times
Reputation: 7744
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Paul believes in a free market. Without the bloated big government and all its regulations, bail outs, subsidies and corrupt trysts with Corporations, our economy would be in much better shape. Paul, correctly, advocates less government intervention as the solution to our problems. Real competition without favoritism and strangling regulations is the key.

Please read these links on Paul.

Ron Paul: America on the Road to Serfdom
Who is Ron Paul?
"Congressman Ron Paul is the leading advocate for freedom in our nation’s capital. As a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Dr. Paul tirelessly works for limited, constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies. He is known among his congressional colleagues and his constituents for his consistent voting record. Dr. Paul never votes for legislation unless the proposed measure is expressly authorized by the Constitution.In the words of former Treasury Secretary William Simon, Dr. Paul is the “one exception to the Gang of 535″ on Capitol Hill."

Paul is an interesting guy. He appeals to a wide array of people as he speaks to problems both liberals and conservatives voice; but his solutions are purely conservative in that they are grounded in nothing but the constitution, which calls for very minimal government and maximum individual freedom.
And that's why he is the only candidate I will vote for next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM
 
3,064 posts, read 2,163,417 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Fix government and Wall Street gets fixed too.

Get rid of Crony Capitalism and the nanny state and corporate bail outs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 11:53 PM
 
4,285 posts, read 7,899,960 times
Reputation: 1557
That's not abolition of private property. That's just increased taxes. If Bob is supposed to pay $5,000 and Alice is supposed to pay $15,000 but neither pays, then the outcome is the same.

Abolition of private property is like what has been going on in Cuba. Nobody's advocating for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Outrageous property taxes pretty much abolish private property. In some places you are required to pay the government $4000, $5000 even more a year if you want to keep the house you thought you owned.

If you don't pay this outrageous sum of money, you'll find out very quickly who really owns your home.
I am skeptical of too much libertarianism. I'm okay with somebody saying "that government program doesn't do what it is intending to do, and we can afford to remove it, so let's" - But stripping government literally to bare bones is a problem.

In Mexico middle and upper classes pay disproportionately low taxes, meaning many poor do not get good government services. It's not a libertarian paradise, though. There are other guys who get the loyalty of the poor by giving them stuff. Guys like El Chapo Guzman, La Familia, Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, etc.

A good government has to be efficient, but it also has to make sure that other people do not usurp its authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Paul is an interesting guy. He appeals to a wide array of people as he speaks to problems both liberals and conservatives voice; but his solutions are purely conservative in that they are grounded in nothing but the constitution, which calls for very minimal government and maximum individual freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
 
11,536 posts, read 8,472,068 times
Reputation: 3580
Didn't Cain blame the protesters a few days ago, saying that no one else is to blame for their problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,147,167 times
Reputation: 11578
Darnit HC475 beat me to the punch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
 
2,413 posts, read 2,563,277 times
Reputation: 2030
Haha Cain is becoming a real pain. This clown and his right wing neocon corporate diatribes. The problem is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. has been bought and paid for by the corporations and WallStreet. When you are ass deep in alligators the first thing to do is drain the swamp. We need to get the banks straightened out and cut off the money spicket to Washington. Then we can focus on cleaning up government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 AM
 
814 posts, read 489,586 times
Reputation: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not so liberal, if the current recall initiative is any indication.

Why, oh, why do people insist on crediting Clinton with NAFTA, Oh, sure, he signed the thing, but, he sure didn't develop it or nuture it to fruition. That was all Bush I.
Regardless, I think that it is a bit disengenous to leave out how much Texas benefits overall from trade with Mexico. Also a bit disengenous to paint 'liberals' with such a broad brush when it was a staunchly conservative member of the Texas legislature that wanted the loophole for domestic and landscape workers included in the recent immigration bill.

Daily Kos: Debbie "Terror Babies" Riddle Creates The Laundry Loophole!!-

So, who is it wants all that cheap labor? Why the upstanding members of the Chambers of Commerce, of course.

As for the OP: as someone else noted, Mr. Cain has well-practiced his sound bites. And of course in the simplistic universe that he and so many other R's inhabit, everything will be magically fixed with new occupants in the WH. And Obama supporters are accused of having a Messiah complex.

Cute.
Maybe, but u will be kissing Caine's feet for four years... soon. No more Obominator here comes the Herminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top