Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The Occupy scene has swept this country in the last couple of weeks. Some cities have been more vibrant than others.

Which city has the most active and loudest protesters?

I heard Portland is having a very massive scene. It comes second to NYC according to reports.

DC is actually making its way.

Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Which City Has The Most Vibrant Occupy Scene? (moved from city vs. city)

I would guess the city with the most active ACORN participation.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
and now the showdown in Philly is about to take place...and the very reasons I stated a month ago about this crowd has come to pass. A rape Saturday night; lots of thefts; the tech center was closed down...geez, talk about a fast-fading movement. I say move they should all go to DC and camp out at the White House or The Mall...thousands and thousands camped out in front of Obama and Congress...

Last edited by Kamms; 11-14-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM

The clock is ticking though...

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
In retrospect, vibrant doesn't seem like the best word to describe the encampments.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
In retrospect, vibrant doesn't seem like the best word to describe the encampments.
More like which encampment needs delousing the most...jmo

Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I do think this may belong in politics.

As for the race thing and the Right a charitable explanation is I think people over 40 or even over 60 are really important on the Right right now. In that group I think race matters more, a bit on both sides.

I did see elderly liberals, in the 2008 campaign, act almost dewy eyed whenever Obama was in a debate because "It's so historic to see a black man in a Presidential debate, it's so historic to see him as candidate, I am so happy to live to see etc."

So for them what they're saying may make sense because for them some of their fellow elderly were almost amazed to have a black President. In "their world" race is likely going to matter to the voter one way or other because it might be hard to live during the age of Martin and Wallace without race being somewhere in how you see a black man. Point is they kind of lived that history, we didn't.

For people under 40, or particularly those under 30, seeing a black person in a position of authority is often going to be less unusual or magical or confusing or whatever to us. For people my age we grew up with Cosby as like the most admired Dad-character and with Colin Powell being a major face of the First Gulf War. There was still struggles but in our life we had pretty much always seen black mayors, astronauts, and a Supreme Court Justice. I wouldn't say we were post-racial, some of the most violently racist things I've ever heard were from people my age, but I think those of us who were racist still knew that people of all races could become somebody important. Even with the racist ones I think some could accept it if the person "talked and acted" like how they felt "was right." I imagine, or would at least be unsurprised, that several of the racist young people I knew voted for Obama.

Less charitably I think a thing is just to try to discredit the other person's position. If you claim the other person supported someone based on looks, race, or something otherwise "superficial" it's seen as demeaning/discrediting. So it was claimed women supported Clinton because they were "hot for him" even though he wasn't that conventionally attractive. Or on the Left they voted for Bush because of twang or religious brainwashing or nostalgia for his Dad or voted for Reagan because they liked celebrities or were just stupid.
I hear what you're saying, but going back since the '60s, black men have been in positions of authority. Black mayors in urban cities, police, fire, school, sheriff etc...the problem with the 2008 campaign was no one questioned Obama's skills or experience or if they did, they were shouted-down and deemed racist. The black community generally assumed you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama. Now, in late 2011, it is evident Obama is a light-weight; nice guy, can make a good speech, but no experience.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I hear what you're saying, but going back since the '60s, black men have been in positions of authority. Black mayors in urban cities, police, fire, school, sheriff etc...the problem with the 2008 campaign was no one questioned Obama's skills or experience or if they did, they were shouted-down and deemed racist. The black community generally assumed you were a racist if you didn't vote for Obama. Now, in late 2011, it is evident Obama is a light-weight; nice guy, can make a good speech, but no experience.
During the '08 campaign, I was on a MySpace message board (sorry c-d), and I posted point-by-point on what issue I disagree with Obama on and why. And you know what? Almost without exception I was simply called a racist by all the pro-Obama posters. They didn't even mention the points I made.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
This thread has gone way beyond off topic and what is with the right-ring and race?

I always forget the President is a "black president" until a right-winger comes along and reminds me that he's black and I'm suffering from "liberal guilt".

I guess its hard for you old-school righties to cope with the fact that many of us couldn't care less if the president is lime green and that it means absolutely nothing.
I'm not an old-school rightie and could care less what color the President is. However, given our current President's lack of a record prior to his election in 2008, he coasted right into the White House and any and all challenges were brushed-off; the media gave him a free pass and the whole thing reeked of PC...so making the point that I have a problem with the President because he is black is misplaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies