U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM

3,983 posts, read 3,267,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wal Mart suffering a 1% drop is not really an issue. You seem to think a sudden drop in their massive profit margins are going to hurt them?

That's not wishful thinking, that's delusional. Wal Mart is like kudzu and Asian carp, once established, you can't stop it no matter what you do

If you want to stop this hideous big box, you have to look to Vermont on how to do it. They have set the standard. Sadly, once Wal Mart has infested a region, it's not going away.
Key Studies on Wal-Mart and Big-Box Retail | The New Rules Project

Walmart is toast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM

16,704 posts, read 18,937,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I don't think walmart is toast... in fact, I put in positions for them in the stock market... I put my money where my mouth is (shouldn't you be shorting them by now?)... Walmart is a great concept and works fine but unfortunately, if you do random checks on the supercenters around the nation, it is run but poor local managers with equally bad rejects for employees... I would hire employees that are enthusiastic to be working... if you look at these people, they rather sit at home and collect permanent welfare than work if they could... it's not a matter of pay or benefits... its a matter of wanting to work... that's not Walmart's fault, you find what you can... what I don't get is why walmart doesn't fire all of them and re-employ considering the job market has a lot of better possible employees... but I don't run a corporation like Walmart... I just shop in one...

Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM

11,792 posts, read 15,818,315 times
If the government becomes so stupid they drive the U.S. into an isolationist trade position, Walmart will still be able to beat mom and pop stores who do not have the quantity of sales to keep their prices down. And too, if mom and pop did have the sales, they would become a Walmart.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM

7,303 posts, read 3,980,723 times
I get almost everything for my home and business at Wal Mart.
Great prices and no extra charge for the show.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM

23,769 posts, read 16,043,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If the government becomes so stupid they drive the U.S. into an isolationist trade position, Walmart will still be able to beat mom and pop stores who do not have the quantity of sales to keep their prices down. And too, if mom and pop did have the sales, they would become a Walmart.
Who is suggesting "isolationist trade position"? Fair trade with China is non existent as it now stands and it needs to be renegotiated and enforced.

How China unfairly bests the U.S.
Op-Ed China's manufacturing advantage over the U.S. is actually due to a complex array of unfair trade practices, all of which are illegal under free-trade rules.

America's trade deficit is costing us close to 1% of GDP growth a year at a loss of almost 1 million jobs annually. That's millions of jobs we have failed to create over the last decade; and if we had those jobs now, we wouldn't see continuing high unemployment numbers, padlocked houses under foreclosure and empty factories pushing up weeds.

It follows that if we want to get America back to work, we need to sharply reduce our trade deficit. As a statistical matter, that means sharply reducing our trade deficit with China.

China Unfair Trade Practices | U.S. trade policy: America's unequal trade relationship with China - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who is suggesting "isolationist trade position"? Fair trade with China is non existent as it now stands and it needs to be renegotiated and enforced.

How China unfairly bests the U.S.
Op-Ed China's manufacturing advantage over the U.S. is actually due to a complex array of unfair trade practices, all of which are illegal under free-trade rules.

America's trade deficit is costing us close to 1% of GDP growth a year at a loss of almost 1 million jobs annually. That's millions of jobs we have failed to create over the last decade; and if we had those jobs now, we wouldn't see continuing high unemployment numbers, padlocked houses under foreclosure and empty factories pushing up weeds.

It follows that if we want to get America back to work, we need to sharply reduce our trade deficit. As a statistical matter, that means sharply reducing our trade deficit with China.

China Unfair Trade Practices | U.S. trade policy: America's unequal trade relationship with China - Los Angeles Times
Didn't Obama promised to do that with China... let me know when he keeps his promises... I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 PM

11,792 posts, read 15,818,315 times
Quote:
It follows that if we want to get America back to work, we need to sharply reduce our trade deficit. As a statistical matter, that means sharply reducing our trade deficit with China.[/url]
Certainly international trade laws should be fair but the best way to reduce our trade deficit is to build something of quality that I can purchase and ship 25 miles to my house for less money than the same item built by a Chinese worker and shipped halfway around the world.

I was against it but a global economy has arrived in the U.S. American consumers and businesses like Walmart are simply trying to live with it.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM

23,769 posts, read 16,043,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Didn't Obama promised to do that with China... let me know when he keeps his promises... I wouldn't be holding my breath...
Any one in power that has the leverage to change the insane trade agreements and doesn't is a big disappointment. Apparently there is legislation being worked on, but not quickly enough. This $hit should have been addressed years ago.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – In the wake of a new agreement among Congressional leaders to extend Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) before passing three free trade pacts, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) applauded Majority Leader Harry Reid’s insistence on passing TAA first and called for swift passage of the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act. This bipartisan legislation, authored by Brown and Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME), would crack down on Chinese currency manipulation.
Senator Sherrod Brown | Senator for Ohio: Press Releases - With Deal Reached to Extend TAA Before Passing New Trade Pacts, Brown Calls for Swift Action on Bipartisan Currency Manipulation Bill

This is one of the reason that I supported Kucinich during the primaries.

Quote:
When the U.S. becomes more of a marketplace for goods rather than the workplace where they are manufactured, working people lose their economic footing, and the country’s economy as a whole becomes weaker. This is reflected in the United States’ ballooning and unsustainably high international trade deficit. Congressman Kucinich continued to fight to protect workers’ rights and local democracy from attack by global corporate trade.
Trade | Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich

Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Any one in power that has the leverage to change the insane trade agreements and doesn't is a big disappointment. Apparently there is legislation being worked on, but not quickly enough. This $hit should have been addressed years ago.

Senator Sherrod Brown | Senator for Ohio: Press Releases - With Deal Reached to Extend TAA Before Passing New Trade Pacts, Brown Calls for Swift Action on Bipartisan Currency Manipulation Bill

This is one of the reason that I supported Kucinich during the primaries.

Trade | Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich
I know it should of been addressed years ago because I talked about it years ago... liberals at that time didn't care about foreign countries unless we didn't send them money or something... conservatives were fine with cheap goods... The US government does currency manipulation all the time, in fact, every country with a currency does it... even the Euro... So I think it is ironic that we ask China to stop their currency manipulation but we continue to manipulate the dollar... you want to know why? Cause the Chinese can manipulate their currency better than we can... that's why... sad, huh.... I am curious of how liberals would attack the situation since I know the liberal stance on spending and revenue... I wonder how receptive China is on buying more overpriced US goods and sending over even cheaper Chinese goods as well as paying an extra tariff... hehehe... we'll see... unfortunately, if the a democrat was to write this bill it would of been... doa... but it does leave a lot of time for good rhetoric...

Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

12 posts, read 12,938 times
Is your walmart differnet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies